So when BB10 is launched and we all have these GREAT phones, How long will they keep our PlayBooks on 2.??? I hate waiting and thats all I have been doing with my PlayBook, always waiting for that update. How long will RIM keep us in the dark. It would b smart to release EVERYTHING all at once and make a wave and not just a splash in the market.... GO RIM
    11-28-12 03:42 PM
    ...It would b smart to release EVERYTHING all at once ...

Everything at once ? We have to call Lenka for this!
    el_excelsior likes this.
    11-28-12 03:46 PM
    See this is a smart post. It's a question on everyone's mind and has no real answer. Instead of people making posts that say it won't or if bb10 will be coming when that has already been answered. Any ways enough of my rant. I'm hoping that since Jan 30th is the "launch" event it would be released shortly after that if not the day of. That's my hope
    11-28-12 03:55 PM
    Probably 3-6 months. My bet is summertime.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-28-12 05:20 PM
    The closest we've heard is "shortly after" the phones launch. There's tons of wiggle-room on that one.

We may be seeing new tablet hardware mid-year; the BB10 upgrade might wind up waiting until then.
    11-28-12 05:42 PM
    If the phones do well within a month.If BB10 shows bridge at the showcase event as a feature they will sell playbooks by the bucket load.

It all depends on success of the phones really it will have to be out long before te 10 inch drops.
    11-28-12 07:07 PM
    If the phones do well within a month.If BB10 shows bridge at the showcase event as a feature they will sell playbooks by the bucket load.

It all depends on success of the phones really it will have to be out long before te 10 inch drops.
    I dont think they will feature a product for which they have no inventory and that they lose money on every one that they sell.
    11-28-12 07:13 PM
    In a profit-business oriented organisation, such as RIM, they will still find a profitable reason to release BB10 in PlayBook... it doesn't matter whether they promised it before or not, the most important is, that their investors will be benefited and protected... between "customers" and "investors", they will still value the "investors" benefits and protections... releasing BB10 to PlayBook is still "cost" for RIM, no matter how we look at it... they will still use "resources" for that... i.e. "resources" that would not exists without "investors"...
    11-28-12 08:37 PM
    In a profit-business oriented organisation, such as RIM, they will still find a profitable reason to release BB10 in PlayBook... it doesn't matter whether they promised it before or not, the most important is, that their investors will be benefited and protected... between "customers" and "investors", they will still value the "investors" benefits and protections... releasing BB10 to PlayBook is still "cost" for RIM, no matter how we look at it... they will still use "resources" for that... i.e. "resources" that would not exists without "investors"...
    Rim has released every update they said they would, without charge, investors will being making a profit off BB10, they gonna just give the phones away.
    11-29-12 08:20 AM
    Release BB10 for the PB on Jan 30th and charge $50-100, then offer the upgrade for free 6 months later. I think that would be both fair and profitable.
    11-29-12 08:58 AM
    I would think BB10 will be on the PlayBooks before the phone comes out. So I would think early Jan.
    11-29-12 09:36 AM
    That's a hard guess. I'd love to see a huge update to the Facebook app which despite my preferences, has been setting every update and photo as public. I just use the browser now if I post an update from my PB.
    11-29-12 10:36 AM
    Whatever the official data is, know that there will be a beta prior to the official release. It won't be pretty, but at least it will keep us entertained.
    11-29-12 12:54 PM
    They won't tell you, which is both very impolite and technically very suspicious.

One thing is sure, they don't want BB10 to be used by real people, who write comments on the web, before they have sold a large number of phones.
    calles likes this.
    11-29-12 01:25 PM
    They won't tell you, which is both very impolite and technically very suspicious.

One thing is sure, they don't want BB10 to be used by real people, who write comments on the web, before they have sold a large number of phones.
    Or rather, they don't want any leaks to happen so they don't lose any thunder for the announcement day? You know, it's not different from what ANY other company does.

I gave you every chance...

After BB10 Is out, How long will we have to wait for our PlayBooks to turn ??-picard-facepalm.jpg
    el_excelsior and Shadowyugi like this.
    11-29-12 02:06 PM
    Ok first BB10 IS ready for PB right now. They have been testing it for months.

Then if is as good as they say, redefining the market, next generation and all that, releasing it for PB now would mean raving reviews just letting out their new phones, which would sell very well.

On the contrary, BB10 will appear on PB just after the first wave of phones sales...

Why you guys trust RIM ? It's a company that sells a tablet without an email app, then takes six months to give you an email app that can't turn vertical, then another six months to make turn vertical, then the email is not even fully imap capable.

How you can expect a system coming from RIM will be great is beyond me.
    11-29-12 02:18 PM
    Now now guys!
    11-29-12 02:23 PM
    With the amount of Playbooks sold during this holiday season I think it would be silly for them not to offer a BB10 update to the beloved Playbook shortly after launch. The prices on these things dropped like hotcakes and people were buying them in multiples. This in my opinion was a great move and people who may not love BB like some of us do will get a taste of what the touch screen style of what BB can do. Does anyone see BB10 Playbook Beta available on launch day or am I way off?
    werebear3 likes this.
    11-29-12 02:39 PM
    So when BB10 is launched and we all have these GREAT phones, How long will they keep our PlayBooks on 2.??? I hate waiting and thats all I have been doing with my PlayBook, always waiting for that update. How long will RIM keep us in the dark. It would b smart to release EVERYTHING all at once and make a wave and not just a splash in the market.... GO RIM
    At Jam Americas, at the end of September, those of us who asked this question were given a fairly clear, if imprecise answer.

The answer was that a beta for BB10 on the PlayBook would appear 2-3 months after the phones launch, with a final release available in late spring or early summer. There was handwaving around this (thus the "imprecise" label above) but it was an extremely clear answer which left no room for them magically getting it ready "soon" after the release of the phones.

I've seen nothing since that time to change my belief that that was an accurate description of the possibilities. (And no, the supposed tweet from Tim which some people thought hinted it would be out around launch, or even earlier, definitely did not sway me. I still say that tweet was misinterpreted by people who thought it said that.)

(That said, I could of course be wrong, but I'll leave judging that up to those who know me, or to history...)
    Chaddface and nicrallred like this.
    11-29-12 03:02 PM
    Were you content about the absence of reason why such a delay ? Although they have been testing the system on PB all the time ?

Sounds like the pb will be a new device for them...
    11-29-12 05:15 PM
    It seems RIM is focused on the release of BB10 on their new hardware. The future of the company hinges on it. No statements I have seen indicate BB10 on the PB would happen before the release of the phones. I don't find anything strange about that.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    11-29-12 05:29 PM
    The answer was that a beta for BB10 on the PlayBook would appear 2-3 months after the phones launch, with a final release available in late spring or early summer.
    That is pretty much what I expected, hopefully it does come out by end of summer at the very least. What about porting apps (from phone to playbook), have there been any instructions for dev about creating 3 sets of apps for L-Series, N-Series and PB resolution? Or are they planning on scaling it automatically...
    11-30-12 12:27 AM
    See this is a smart post. It's a question on everyone's mind and has no real answer. Instead of people making posts that say it won't or if bb10 will be coming when that has already been answered. Any ways enough of my rant. I'm hoping that since Jan 30th is the "launch" event it would be released shortly after that if not the day of. That's my hope
    That would be so exciting! I would love to hear Thorsten announce that BB10 is immediately ready for download. He should have a large button or lever he has to pull to make it official.
    11-30-12 01:06 AM
    Were you content about the absence of reason why such a delay ? Although they have been testing the system on PB all the time ?
    I was given excellent and completely satisfactory reasons for the delay and, as I'm a very experienced developer, the reasons made total sense and entirely justified the delay.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    11-30-12 08:45 AM
    I was given excellent and completely satisfactory reasons for the delay and, as I'm a very experienced developer, the reasons made total sense and entirely justified the delay.
    don't feed the troll... I have a friend who works at RIM as a network engineer and he told me what you guys were told. I can accept that. But for other people, they hate to love RIM and are so enthralled to spew their bad taste of RIM to everyone else.
    11-30-12 09:30 AM
38 12