Aftab is doing a great job of updating his file browser. I received V 2.2.9 today unexpectedly. At any rate one of the things I really like about this application is that it allows you to pretty much navigate the entire OS file system, not just those for the Playbook GUI account. So one can go to the root and explore.

If you have any experience with Unix/Linux systems, you will see that there is a huge amount of material under the hood. I discoved that the system has all the normal shell utillities. And also found that it contains Python 2.7!!! in there. Unfortunately we just can't get at it because we have no shell application available that we can run with applicable access privileges.

I did do some experiments. You may have noticed that under shared there is a folder called print. With the File browser I copied a file from the Downloads folder into that one. It was a doc file I created with Word to Go. Well right away I got a notification that said Printout Test.Doc....

Now mind you nothing actually printed but I find this very interesting! Perhaps this is just waiting for a network print spooler? I am sure I will discover other interesting things as well.
    06-16-11 05:08 PM
    any way you can provide a screenshot of said notification?
    06-16-11 05:11 PM
    How does the ftp function after these updates?
    06-16-11 05:11 PM
    any way you can provide a screenshot of said notification?
    Well I will give it a try. The first is just after I copied the file into the print directory. In the screen capture (using the built in screen capture capability of the Playbook I must add) you can alsmost see the red indicator in the corner. Swiping down reveals the (!) and taping that shows the notification in the second screen capture. I have added the screen captures as file attachments. Hopefully this will work.
    06-16-11 05:32 PM
    How does the ftp function after these updates?
    Can't tell you anything about that. I managed to get it to connect to an FTP server (I Think), but beyond that I had no idea what to do once that happened. A single file appears, and a couple of arrows. It doesn't show me anything from the remote system. Clicking either arrow (up or down) bring up the local file system dialog. I may try more with it this weekend.
    yzf.shaun likes this.
    06-16-11 06:02 PM
    ftp is worse than before. I used to be able to see all subfolders at the first level although nothing past that no files either. Now I only see one subfolder.
    06-16-11 08:50 PM
    another update available for this app...nice work aftab!
    06-17-11 10:16 PM
    network browsing would be very nice. FTP with the ability to save previous connections would be nice too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-11 01:02 AM
    Need some help...i have been updating File Browser on my Playbook and currently sit at version 2.3.1. My problem is that I cannot utilize any of the functionality included in he most recent updates, in fact, some of the new icons are not even displayed (example: the Search icon shown in the screen shots above is not displayed on mine).

Besides running the upgrade, is there anything else I need to do to complete the installation properly?
    06-21-11 08:20 AM
    Still cannot access my sd card, I get an error saying sd card is not mounted. I can access it over bridge though.
    06-21-11 08:29 AM
    I just upgraded to 2.3.1 and the only difference i see is the option-button when you swipe down from above to below to get the menu. You can now password-protect your explorer or a map?
    Network-browsing is still not supported (unfortunately). The search button is there too.
    06-21-11 08:41 AM
    Deleted the app and then did a reinstall...all seems right now.
    06-21-11 08:52 AM
    Still cannot access my sd card, I get an error saying sd card is not mounted. I can access it over bridge though.
    Odd. Because last night I was actually playing an mp3 file from my SDCard while using File Browser to access the file. Video did not work - just a black screen in the video player.
    06-21-11 08:54 AM
    the app MobieSRT player can play videos from your SD card. It takes awhile to "load" depending on the size of the video. There is no indicator of status of loading. I found out by just waiting to see what happens but it works.

With file browser you can copy a video from SD card to playbook video folder. Again same deal it takes awhile but it works.
    06-21-11 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD