I just scored a free 16gb PlayBook with a renewed subscription to my local newspaper.

I already have my 32gb PB so my questions are as follows:

1. How do I register/setup the new PB so that I can have all same apps on both PBs?

2. Can I use video chat between the PB's?

Thanks
    07-19-12 11:09 AM
    If you use the same BBID, the apps can be used on both pb's.

Video Chat using bbid will NOT work if they have the same bbid. Some have suggested that you can use Chat if you use the devices' PIN as the id but that may not work if they are on the same wifi network (same house?). I'm not sure if PIN chat works (if the bbid is the same).
    07-19-12 11:38 AM
    If you use the same BBID, the apps can be used on both pb's.

Video Chat using bbid will NOT work if they have the same bbid. Some have suggested that you can use Chat if you use the devices' PIN as the id but that may not work if they are on the same wifi network (same house?). I'm not sure if PIN chat works (if the bbid is the same).
    I have 2 PBs at home with the same ID. Both share the sames apps, though vidchat does not work using the standard means. I haven't tried adding the PIN as an ID, though.
    07-19-12 11:46 AM
    I have 2 PBs at home with the same ID. Both share the sames apps, though vidchat does not work using the standard means. I haven't tried adding the PIN as an ID, though.
    I have... and it doesn't work when trying to video chat with my boy's PB. We are on the same WiFi network, same BBID, but have different PINs (obviously). I used my son's PB PIN to address the chat invite.

I can't recall the exact error message that results, but it's something like "Can't Connect to Server" or similar.

Whether it would work if we were on different WiFi networks, I can't say. Call me Mr Mean, but I can't justify the expense of buying a separate broadband connection just for the purposes of this "experiment for the interested reader".
    Last edited by JeepBB; 07-19-12 at 01:10 PM.
    07-19-12 12:44 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I just added the word PIN to my "video chat" search and found all kinds of reading.
    07-19-12 12:49 PM
    *** STOP PRESS ****

As I am that interested reader, I sent my boy next door and got him to connect his PB to my neighbour's WiFi... it still didn't work when attempting to initiate a video call using the PIN to address the call (though PB was smart enough to work out his name from the PIN as it said "Calling Richard JeepBB" for about a minute before putting up a "Call Failed" error message.

So... I don't believe that Video Chat will work between PB's sharing the same BBID regardless of what WiFi network they're on, or whether PIN or BBID is used to address the call.

So, Myth "Busted"!

Damn... I feel like Adam Savage! (but obviously have much better teeth!)
    Last edited by JeepBB; 07-19-12 at 01:34 PM.
    reschp likes this.
    07-19-12 01:09 PM
    How much did they charge ya for the paper??
    $16.95/month - 3 yr contract

I have been paying $5 / week for the past 15 yrs. Plus the new deal includes online access to papers and a free playbook.

The math was easy

Sent from some device using some sort of app.
    07-19-12 03:15 PM
    *** STOP PRESS ****

As I am that interested reader, I sent my boy next door and got him to connect his PB to my neighbour's WiFi... it still didn't work when attempting to initiate a video call using the PIN to address the call (though PB was smart enough to work out his name from the PIN as it said "Calling Richard JeepBB" for about a minute before putting up a "Call Failed" error message.

So... I don't believe that Video Chat will work between PB's sharing the same BBID regardless of what WiFi network they're on, or whether PIN or BBID is used to address the call.

So, Myth "Busted"!

Damn... I feel like Adam Savage! (but obviously have much better teeth!)
    That's been my results as well...
    07-19-12 04:19 PM
    $16.95/month - 3 yr contract

I have been paying $5 / week for the past 15 yrs. Plus the new deal includes online access to papers and a free playbook.

The math was easy

Sent from some device using some sort of app.
    Can't be an Irving Newspaper. They would want you to use their newsprint. LoL

Let us know how you make out on your quest.

Good luck.
    07-19-12 08:08 PM
    Can't be an Irving Newspaper. They would want you to use their newsprint. LoL
    It is an Irving paper (in fact all of them). Here's the weird part. Online access to all the provincial newspapers is $19.95/month.

For $16.95/month, I get online access to all papers, daily papers delivered to my door, and the Playbook (I pick it up next week). A no-brainer!

July 24 - Update: I decided to use the same BBID on both PBs to share my apps. If I ever need VideoChat I can always wipe the 16gb and go from there.

Thanks to all who replied. Cheers.
    Last edited by DC506; 07-24-12 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Someone put typos in my post
    07-20-12 06:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD