I just got back from a run into town. I went to Best Buy to get an SD card and couldn't help myself, I went to the tablet section. There was a PB in the middle of the other tablet demos powered up and running the demo. The screens on all the other tablets were dark. I thought cool. As I walked up I was accosted by a sales rep. I'm thinking here we go. He asked if I needed help. I said I was browsing and this cool PB caught my eye. He then said "They are cool aren't they". My jaw dropped. Then he proceeded to show me all the things it was capable of and the new OS 2 Features etc....... I was speechless. The kid knew his stuff. He even went so far as to start listing what the PB could do that the other tablets couldn't and THEN went into what it did better! Holy cow Batman!! Where was I? In a BlackBerry store?!!!! This kid almost had me buying another PB. I complemented him on his tech knowledge of the PB and told him to keep up the good work.

What a turnaround from two months ago! I've got to say, as much as I've maligned Best Buy in the past, they actually seem to be trying now. I walked out with a smile and feeling less guilty for shopping there.

Edit: I'm in Best Buys parking lot, in my truck, bridged and remote typing this on my PB, cool!
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-25-12 at 08:55 PM.
    02-25-12 08:52 PM
    Wow. Turnaround after 2.0, nice change from "oh they're going out of business why would you want that"
    Hope he's not the only one...
    Last edited by erodenero; 02-25-12 at 09:02 PM.
    rotorwrench and alan510 like this.
    02-25-12 09:00 PM
    Best Buy is owned by Satan.
    MadGasser likes this.
    02-25-12 09:00 PM
    Nice! And about time!
    02-25-12 09:01 PM
    rotorwrench did you tell em that kid about this.. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ll-you-695689/
    VanCity778 likes this.
    02-25-12 09:03 PM
    I hope the world isn't getting ready to come to an end . It's hard to imagine a BestBuy employee liking not to mention having knowledge of the PlayBook
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-25-12 09:08 PM
    Lol. You should have blown his mind and told him you are a RIM mystery shopper sent around to guage how well trained the best buy staff are. Then pat him on the back, say good job. And walk out. Heh.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 09:14 PM
    I hope the world isn't getting ready to come to an end . It's hard to imagine a BestBuy employee liking not to mention having knowledge of the PlayBook
    It is 2012.....
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-25-12 09:14 PM
    Wow, I may start to look at BestBuy differently since they can give a true to point demonstration with actual facts about the product.
    02-25-12 09:20 PM
    BestBuy may be Satan, but OS 2.0 is the Exorcist
    02-25-12 09:34 PM
    Lol. You should have blown his mind and told him you are a RIM mystery shopper sent around to guage how well trained the best buy staff are. Then pat him on the back, say good job. And walk out. Heh.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    That would have been a HOOT!
    02-25-12 09:34 PM
    BestBuy may be Satan, but OS 2.0 is the Exorcist
    And you are the priest?
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-25-12 09:35 PM
    And you are the priest?
    You have no idea how close to the truth you are.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-25-12 09:39 PM
    rotorwrench did you tell em that kid about this.. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ll-you-695689/
    LOL Are you kidding? He was so enthusiastic that I hated to burst his bubble and give him a warning about the dark side of PB ownership.
    02-25-12 11:30 PM
    Frankly, it really depends on the person. Problem is that the sales people not knowing anything about the PB far far far out number those who do...
    patpatiar likes this.
    02-25-12 11:39 PM
    Is there any reason not to think that the stories of really bad and really good Best Buy (or other retailer) employees really just reflect that how they present the product depends far more on their personal preferences than on any store policy or training?

Serious question... I haven't been in enough stores to judge, and have no real knowledge of how these stores work. It just strikes me that kid was so knowledgeable merely because he's a fan of the product, personally, and not because of any change in Best Buy's attitude or capabilities.
    02-25-12 11:40 PM
    What really caught me off guard was he could have pushed anything on me, as I never told him I owned a PB nor any preference for any one tablet in particular, except for my first statement to him.

I think I'll test some of the other sales people and see if this was a fluke.
    02-25-12 11:40 PM
    Rotorwrench, the kid was oxygen deprived due to living in the Rocky Mountains. The Black Helicopters from Camp Lemonier got to him. It is great to read about sales staff who are knowledge enough to discuss advantages and disadvantages of the products in their store. Though I noticed a lack of any disadvantages except your humour redirect to another thread.
    02-25-12 11:41 PM
    It is written that in the End Days we will bear witness to strange events.
    02-25-12 11:43 PM
    Is there any reason not to think that the stories of really bad and really good Best Buy (or other retailer) employees really just reflect that how they present the product depends far more on their personal preferences than on any store policy or training?

Serious question... I haven't been in enough stores to judge, and have no real knowledge of how these stores work. It just strikes me that kid was so knowledgeable merely because he's a fan of the product, personally, and not because of any change in Best Buy's attitude or capabilities.
    Very possible. That's why I plan to try out some other sales people this week and see if there is any consistency. I've had some run-ins with a couple so I'll have my daughter try the ones I've already dealt with.

I do know that RIM is pushing their "Amp It Up" PR and sales program training.
    02-26-12 01:12 AM
    Rotorwrench, the kid was oxygen deprived due to living in the Rocky Mountains. The Black Helicopters from Camp Lemonier got to him. It is great to read about sales staff who are knowledge enough to discuss advantages and disadvantages of the products in their store. Though I noticed a lack of any disadvantages except your humour redirect to another thread.
    LOL, you could be right, his lips looked a little blue, now that you mention it. I think he was from New Orleans. He didn't volunteer any disadvantages until I asked about connectivity, and he said no SD or current open usb adapter support, but thought it would be forthcoming. Of course I wasn't pushing for negatives and was actually trying to encourage the positives out of him. I figure we're due
    02-26-12 01:20 AM

2 best buys where I live. 1, very knowledgeable staff, clean, beautiful, well stocked and organized. The other, none of the above. Sad thing is, that I go to the crappy one, because it's 5 miles closer to my home.
    peter9477 and rotorwrench like this.
    02-26-12 01:26 AM
    In another forum far far away......

oh my god, you will not believe what must happend to me at best buy. I went in to check out the transformer prime when the clueless best buy rep began pushing the playbook on me! He kept telling me all this crap about the playbook while totally playing down the transformer and saying android was buggy!?!?! Unbelievable the idiots they have working there, never going to best buy again!
    I kid, I kid...
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-26-12 02:06 AM
    LOL that's pretty good.
    02-26-12 02:19 AM
    The exception that proves the rule.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-26-12 08:05 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD