I have ask Blackberry support this question, but they didn't have a solution at this time. they were extremely friendly and helpful. Does anyone know of a way to get active x emulation on the playbook? I can't gain access to a work website without it and it was one of the main reasons to purchase this device. Thanks in advance.
    11-07-11 05:26 PM
    Although I have no idea how to get active x emulation on the Playbook, I was curious why it was one of your "main reasons to purchase this device" ? Was this advertised before? Uses?

(not trying to be hostile, but genuinely curious plus bump)
    11-07-11 05:31 PM
    Although I have no idea how to get active x emulation on the Playbook, I was curious why it was one of your "main reasons to purchase this device" ? Was this advertised before? Uses?

(not trying to be hostile, but genuinely curious plus bump)
    I think he means working from the PlayBook was the "the main reason"...
    11-07-11 05:37 PM
    I'm on call 24/7. I need to be able to log into the site to relay info. The Playbook is smaller and more portable than a laptop. The device is touted for business use. I couldn't get a hands on use before purchase.
    11-07-11 05:38 PM
    You better get a windows tablet if you need active x.
    11-07-11 06:05 PM
    I'm on call 24/7. I need to be able to log into the site to relay info. The Playbook is smaller and more portable than a laptop. The device is touted for business use. I couldn't get a hands on use before purchase.
    Gotcha, thanks for the background. It's always interesting to see what people are using their Playbooks for (or trying to!) aside from the mainstream features.
    11-08-11 12:10 AM
    I company where I work has a learning portal which does not function with the BlackBerry PlayBook. I suspect Microsoft ActiveX is at the root of the problem.
    11-08-11 04:36 AM
    IE is the only browser you'll find that uses active x. If you have to have it then you have to get a windows machine with IE.
    11-08-11 07:50 AM
    Well, since the PB browser is webkit based ... It won't natively support ActiveX.
    I've read about this ... so maybe a dev could look into it ?
    Mark Finkle’s Weblog � Mozilla ActiveX Control
    Note: as of date, we don't know how to add a plugin to PB Browser.
    11-08-11 07:56 AM
    ActiveX controls will only run on Windows. They have full access to Windows and are built for Intel processors. The PlayBook is not a Windows tablet, nor does it have an Intel processor. It would require a huge effort to "emulate" an environment in which ActiveX controls could run on PlayBook or any other non-Windows or non-Intel platform.
    MedChemist likes this.
    11-08-11 10:31 AM
    You could set up an RDP or VNC connection to a Windows box, like at your house, and use IE from there to access you company site.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    grahamf likes this.
    11-08-11 11:00 AM
    ActiveX controls will only run on Windows. They have full access to Windows and are built for Intel processors. The PlayBook is not a Windows tablet, nor does it have an Intel processor. It would require a huge effort to "emulate" an environment in which ActiveX controls could run on PlayBook or any other non-Windows or non-Intel platform.
    Active X does not care what processor you use
    Stating it must be intel is untrue
    11-08-11 03:45 PM
    Active X does not care what processor you use
    Stating it must be intel is untrue
    Ok, let me re-phrase that: Most ActiveX controls...

ActiveX may not care what processor you use (it is only an HTML tag and a set of COM interface specs after all), but ActiveX controls certainly do.

The reality is that the only mainstream browser to support ActiveX is Internet Explorer, and that is squarely focused on Windows, thus Intel. Most ActiveX developers target primarily Windows. An ActiveX control developer may have created a version for use on Mac (IE for Mac was discontinued in 2003), or even a plugin to use via WINE, XEmbed or even Mono in other browsers/platforms, but those are usually hacks and often unstable. ActiveX use outside the Microsoft realm has mostly been discontinued. As there is no browser on PlayBook that supports plugins (other than Flash), there are no plugins. ActiveX controls or otherwise.

Any site that requires ActiveX controls to operate is in serious need of overhaul.

To put it in context of the original poster: Don't hold your breath. Chances of ever being able to run the required ActiveX controls on PlayBook are remote. A VNC or Citrix connection to a desktop PC is your best bet.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 11-08-11 at 05:58 PM.
    CracklePot likes this.
    11-08-11 05:54 PM
    When he says Intel he means x86 processor. Nothing against AMD or VIA :P

Basically, ActiveX will only work on Windows desktops/laptops. You can remote in to a desktop/laptop to use it.
    11-08-11 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD