I just got a Novatel MiFi for myself and my GF to share with our tablets (she has a touchpad). The Novatel mifi has a sd card slot that you can share files over the wifi connection. I put a sd card in with some files on it. The mifi setup states to enter the mifi's ip address and share name to access these files. This is for windows per the instructions.

For example: \\192.168.1.1\mifi

I get a 403 forbidden failure when I do this. I tried the exact same approach from my windows7 computer and it worked. Do you think the playbook blocks this or is there another way to access that sd card. If I can get this to work, then I can turn my 32gb Playbook into a 64gb Playbook (among the 50gb from Box and others!).
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-19-11 10:14 AM
    subscribed
    10-20-11 03:18 PM
    The process you're trying to access the MiFi with is a protocol called SMB. This has nothing to do with your web browser, which works over a protocol called HTTP. SMB is the native file sharing protocol of Windows. Some other platforms (Mac, Linux) do have Windows-compatible SMB clients, but there's no PlayBook client that I am aware of. The PlayBook does have a SMB server to let you access its files from your desktop, but this is not the same thing.

If you want to access it from the web browser you'll need a HTTP method of doing so. Looking at Share Files on Your MiFi it appears the MiFi supports this feature, I recommend trying that.
    10-20-11 04:55 PM
    The process you're trying to access the MiFi with is a protocol called SMB. This has nothing to do with your web browser, which works over a protocol called HTTP. SMB is the native file sharing protocol of Windows. Some other platforms (Mac, Linux) do have Windows-compatible SMB clients, but there's no PlayBook client that I am aware of. The PlayBook does have a SMB server to let you access its files from your desktop, but this is not the same thing.

If you want to access it from the web browser you'll need a HTTP method of doing so. Looking at Share Files on Your MiFi it appears the MiFi supports this feature, I recommend trying that.
    Wow man, I have no idea what you just said!
    10-20-11 06:29 PM
    Wow man, I have no idea what you just said!
    The important line I separated out at the bottom. The top paragraph explains why, the bottom one is what to do about it. So, don't worry about the technical explanation. If you want the really simple version though, there's different protocols (ways of communicating) over a network. What the OP tried was one called SMB, the PlayBook doesn't have a client for this. You need to use a protocol that the PB supports.
    10-20-11 06:39 PM
    I tried the above, but it didn't give any info about an http source. When I type in http://ipaddress/sharename (for sd card files), I get the same sprint mifi settings page, but it still says Error 403 forbidden.

Is it possible that you cannot access those files from the web browser???
    10-20-11 10:06 PM
    After digging further into the file sharing help from the mifi settings page, it looks like the transfer protocol is SMB. It doesn't mention anything about http. Here is a screenshot.
    10-20-11 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD