So i went out into the wild with my PB today. There's a Starbucks a few blocks from our home. I woke up and decided to enjoy a coffee and use my PB. I'm not a coffee shop wifi bum but i felt like giving it a go while my wife selpt in a bit.

The clown at the counter asked "Is that a Playbook bla bla bla". He kept saying that a PB doesn't this or that, you know the story. The one thing that he kept bringing up was the fact there is no Hulu or Netflix. So i ask all of you, what is the big deal with Hulu and Netflix ? Did i miss something ? If i want to watch TV and a movie i would watch it at home on my 60" plasma. Or if I'm on the go i will watch something i downloaded ( FOR FREE ). I know i may be in the minority on this topic but i don't see why Netflix and Hulu as a must have.

I had to get that off my chest since all my friends own iphones and it feels good to vent to some other BB folks.
    02-10-12 09:01 PM
    Netflix is a nice to have but not a must to have. I do subscribe to Netflix so for now I watch it on laptop when I have time @ nite before I gotta bed. Crackle works on playbook I do that when the wifey is using the laptop.
    02-10-12 09:05 PM
    Hmmm...
    Netfix in Canada has a poor content selection compared to the States.
    Hulu is not available in Canada.
    I guess you could access the USA versions by cheating with a US proxy, but really... whatever!
    I'd like him and others to STFU by the PB getting the apps but I personally don't care.
    02-10-12 09:10 PM
    I have been saying this for a year now! I don't care even 10" tablet who wants to hold the stupid thing in your hands and watch a movie. I want to relax and like you said watch it on a big screen with surround sound!.. I have watched stuff on the playbook when I'm out but only when I am beyond bored!
    02-10-12 09:10 PM
    I don't personally find Netflix to be a big deal, I had a subscription but cancelled it after a couple of months. I have the Netflix app on my android but haven't once had the urge to reactivate my account to use it. I'll watch TV at home or if I know I'll be on a flight or something I'll load up some entertainment on my PB before I go.
    I don't see this as a downfall for the PlayBook while some others may think it's huge. If someone doesn't like the fact that it doesn't support it, then they are free to purchase a different tablet.
    Taipuma likes this.
    02-10-12 09:11 PM
    I don't like Netflix. Their selection is all old or 1-2 star movies.
    I don't see the point, hopefully the PlayBook video-store will replace my Blockbuster!
    02-10-12 09:14 PM
    I use amazon prime on my playbook as well as the dozens of sites that stream their shows for free.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    02-10-12 09:17 PM
    Keep in mind Apple designs their devices for multimedia, RIM designs theirs for business first, multimedia second. Next time ask him when Apple is going to pass FIPS certification to provide security.
    02-10-12 09:20 PM
    You need to ask the applefanboy how much they like using the overpriced low data cap ipad for watching netflix. I had the first iPad, sold it 2 months later, tried the 2nd gen (got it from an rewards program) so that in a week. While Apple proudcts are nice, they are too restrictive.

I can say I used my boss's Playbook in the office this week and it was enough to convince me to sell off my Android Tablet and get one ordered (that and the price drop).
    VanCity778 and Willard814 like this.
    02-10-12 09:20 PM
    Never really saw any streaming from Hulu, so cannot comment, but I tried Netflix and the selection left much to be desired. I watch maybe two-six hours of TV a week, and Netflix did not have a single thing that I hadn't seen. It was ridiculous. I cancelled my sub soon after the trial was over.

Paying for streaming service(s) for media I cannot keep, is like leasing a vehicle, paying for the use of something that is technically 'not yours' Somewhere, someone is laughing.
    02-10-12 09:22 PM
    Rim needs to offer to pay netflix to have their app ported to the playbook. Its that big of a deal.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    02-10-12 09:28 PM
    I never watch mainstream movies, netflix and hulu do not appeal to me at all, but for a lot of simple minded mass consumption oriented people who really love mindless entertainment, I'm sure it's the cat's behind.

Now, to avoid sweeping generalizations, I do have some "coolish" friends who enjoy netflix and hulu, and I am sure not everybody who likes that stuff is necessarily mindless, but a lot are - hence "mass consumption".
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-10-12 09:31 PM
    Gotta have it
    Gotta have it
    Gotta have Native eMail, oh wait I have a BB, so don't need it, just a social user, don't need it.
    Gotta have a Zillion apps like iOS and Droid, oh wait, they are all crap, now we have lots of crap, how do we get rid of them.
    Gotta have Netflix..........

Well you get my point.
    02-10-12 09:36 PM
    I wonder if I am the only person on the planet who only owns a blackberry smartphone and a blackberry playbook - nothing else, wait, sorry, I own two playbook - but I'm giving one away to my boss, as a gift.

Computers and junk like that are provided to me by my employer. No TV for me, ever, not a chance. Unless the Flames make the playoffs, I might look at a TV for that, but nothing else, definitely would never buy one. So, bottom line, I wouldn't even notice if those crapps even end up in appworld.

The only other device I might end up with is a vita.
    Last edited by buckwylder; 02-10-12 at 09:45 PM.
    alan510 likes this.
    02-10-12 09:39 PM
    You should have opened a site that requires flash and asked him why he can't do that! Hahaha
    02-10-12 09:47 PM
    You should have opened a site that requires flash and asked him why he can't do that! Hahaha
    What is a good website to use for this comparison?
    02-10-12 09:52 PM
    I don't subscribe to Netflix, can't justify the price. Hulu would be nice to have but streaming from Amazon Prime works great. I love the UI on the Playbook, I wouldn't have any other tablet. The app selection is getting better, can't wait to see it after 2.0. The security parameters and interconnectivity to my BB Bold is what I really value. I have a Playbook because it fits me, I don't fit into an Ipad.
    musical1806 and kbz1960 like this.
    02-10-12 09:53 PM
    uTorrent > Netflix

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    homer1475 likes this.
    02-10-12 09:58 PM
    uTorrent > Netflix

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    Anyone who has ever used torrents wouldn't even think about Netflix and Hulu...

iso ftw!!
    TinRobot likes this.
    02-10-12 10:01 PM
    10 inch tablet users are clearly compensating for something, roflmao
    Carbonetics likes this.
    02-10-12 10:09 PM
    I dont have netflix, never did.. Hulu? Whats hulu? Seriously..
    02-10-12 10:26 PM
    Netflix was an outstanding service for media lovers. It was like having HBO, Showtime, Starz, and all the other premium cable channels, on demand, and streaming to you on a whim. All the newest movies and all best shows like Dexter and Spartacus and Curb Your Enthusiasm were there, commercial-free, ready to played, paused, rewound, fast-forwarded, and stopped whenever you wanted to. And it was the same monthly fee as one of those channels. It seemed too good to be true, mostly because it was.

Netflix is now a shadow of its former self, thanks to much stricter contract negotiations with the networks and movie studios. In addition, most cable and satellite TV providers have begun to offer on-demand video, which further negates Netflix's usefulness.

In the mobile realm, I think what is said here holds true: It's nice to have, but not very practical. Netflix is far more useful as an app on a video game console than on a tablet. In the most desirable places for mobile viewing, there is no wi-fi, and streaming data on limited plans isn't feasible. You need to watch a downloaded movie on a plane, and if you sit in a restaurant and watch a feature-length film on the free hot-spot, then- …Well, you must have a very specific reason to not wanna go home.

Based on the above, Netflix on a mobile platform is very overrated in my opinion.
    ralfyguy and skynny70 like this.
    02-10-12 10:31 PM
    Why is it almost everyday there's a thread bashing the iPad? I never seen any of this on ifans site.
    02-10-12 10:38 PM
    What is a good website to use for this comparison?
    This is pretty dang cool...
    We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing

And here's a bunch...
    Top 10 Best Flash Websites of 2012
    02-10-12 10:47 PM
    First of all, I can't stand the snobbery of people like your Starbucks barista (clown/fanboy/) when it comes to the playbook. When questioned about technical features, these snobs will usually know almost nothing about the Playbook's virtues, only about the drivel that they've read online. As far as the "importance" of having Netflix and Hulu, I've observed (quite unscientifically) in my frequent readings of these forums that most of the people who dismiss Netfix and Hulu as inferior products that they would not want anyway are our Canadian brethren. Since I am fully aware that you indeed are being cheated out of significant Netlfix content as well as all of Hulu, I don't blame you for dismissing these things as "unnecessary".
    I am on the American side and my opinion differs a bit.
    My Playbook is a tool that gives me freedom, both at work as well as when I am just relaxing. Between BB Bridge and wifi (when available-for better performance) my ability to read, to surf, to play games, to read/respond to my personal and corporate email and to sometimes watch video on my plasma tv via the Playbook micro-hdmi connection (if I'm too lazy to fire up my media center and wait for it to finish booting up) is a pure nirvana experience that is ALMOST complete. You see, in addition to the vast collection of cr..p media that is on Netflix, there are also quite a high number of quality tv series as well as very good commercial and independent films (plus a good number of British tv series-and also some good international films) that I simply never watched before or have wanted to catch up with, or simply discovered.
    Wanting these apps for my playbook does not make me vacuous (nor am I some attention span deprived imbecile that needs to constantly be entertained by video for lack of knowing what to do with myself during idle moments). I can appreciate the wonderful nuance of well crafted language in written content as well as anyone who isn't afraid to pick up a book and set his imagination free.
    I also want the Playbook to continue to flourish and become HIGHLY competitive in its own right (remember, it doesn't need to beat Apple or Samsung, it just needs to command some RESPECT (and at the right price) in order to keep growing in popularity).
    For this to happen the Playbook needs to possess the things that make it unique as a mobile computing device as well as the "me-too" apps that help make the device a formidable competitor (which will hopefully reduce the "hater" comments someday). Netflix and Hulu are just 2 seemingly stupid apps that will only make our beloved Playbooks stronger (and don't forget that, unlike the ipad, the Playbbok can send your video to your HDTV without buying an expensive adapter!)
    corny888, ralfyguy and skynny70 like this.
    02-10-12 10:52 PM
119 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD