I was looking at getting a second playbook for my wife (stop her from using mine) and I have noticed today that in the UK the price for the 16gb has increased from GBP 169.00 upto GBP 249.00. whilst still a great price, I am reluctant to spend the extra.

Do you think this is likely to do with the release of OS 2.0 or do we think that it was simply just a special offer in the UK
    01-11-12 05:33 AM
    You can still get the 64gb at CPW for �279, Quidco will give you �50 off that so you'll get it for �229

Not perfect i know, but still a good deal for 64gb
    01-11-12 05:40 AM
    The special offer deals were supposed to be only until 31/12/11 then prices were to go back up however I see the 16GB has gone up but the 64GB has been reduced again.

They maybe have too many 64s in stock so are reducing price again, i was in London at New Year & got a 64GB as i couldnt get a 16 or 32 as everywhere was out of stock due to the good deals, although im glad i went for 64 as ive used more than 16GB already on just music alone.

Maybe special deals will come again for the 16 but who knows
    01-11-12 05:52 AM
    Following on from Wyabcp, I can confirm that the offer is still on, but its only going till tomorrow, afterwhich the 50 quid moneyback offer will expire. SOrted myself one out from CPW and is working a charm.
    On a side note I do hope that they dont increase the price too far, the reason they were selling so well is because of that low price for a tab and this is what will get the PB some additional exposure. If they shoot back up too far they'll loose the popularity .
    01-11-12 06:00 AM
    still a good price for a tablet that will only get better with the release of os2. if u have a bb phone then the playbook is the ideal companion for it.

i do have a feeling that prices for theplaybook will remain relatively "low" for the foreseeable future but in my opinion the lowest price phase has come and gone...until rim announces playbook 2.
    01-11-12 06:03 AM
    I was planning on buying a 32GB one in the next couple of weeks, but may well hold off. Although, I do have my 16GB work on in the meantime I guess so it is a bit different.

Prices are only going to come down over the long term, but sometimes it is worth paying that little bit extra now rather than having no tablet.

I would love a lighter version though. Say 300g. Or is that just greedy
    01-11-12 06:25 AM
    shopblackberry.com still has them all on sale until Feb. 4. Can you order from them from the UK?
    01-11-12 06:30 AM
    I hope theprice goes back up here, how can I gloat about the great price I got mine for if everyone gets it for the same price
    01-11-12 06:40 AM
    shopblackberry.com still has them all on sale until Feb. 4. Can you order from them from the UK?
    I don't think that's possible unfortunately - I doubt the US store would ship outside the USA - they'd probably refer you to RIM's UK site where the prices start at �249 ($390!) for the 16GB version, and we don't get the chance to buy any size for $299 - our UK 64GB PB will set you back �409 ($630!!!).

Even if the US site would ship to the UK, the shipping costs plus the taxes and customs duties that our tax authorities would probably levy would kill any likely savings.
    01-11-12 07:17 AM
    I do agree the price is still good in the UK and if I am totally honest its the price that tempted me in the first place. Never been a fan of BB, never had anything Blackberry before. Now I have the Playbook and a curve 8520 (kind of monkey wanted bridge so monkey bought a phone).

Even using the current OS, I am still amazed at how good it actually is and I am looking forward to the new OS, in a way I do wish I had gone for the 32gb, although I am not sure whether I will actually use all the memory. If DLNA comes to it then I won't have to care at all.

I will have to see what happens on Payday and see how good my wife is
    01-11-12 08:23 AM
    Try eBay. There's no tax and only shipping. I saw some 16gbc going for $210 last night.

And here in New York on Craigslist, I see 32bgs going for $240. Again no sales tax and shipping via U.S. postal service shouldn't cost more than $20.

I'm picking up another one this afternoon from Craigslist. 16gb $230. New in box.
    01-11-12 10:14 AM
    Not good for everyone, but I'm quite glad the price is going up.

1) It makes me feel great as I paid �50 less than the current price
    2) Having a 'budget' product is not good for the image of (me or) the PB
    3) Surely RIM wouldn't be putting prices up if they were about to ditch it. Ergo, the PB is here for the long term.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-11-12 02:01 PM
    i am so glad i got mine for �169. Dont think i could have stretched to �249.

It is annoying though to see the difference in price here in the UK. I appreciate there are shipping costs, but not that much. RIM do favour the other side of the Atlantic.
    01-11-12 06:44 PM
    i am so glad i got mine for �169. Dont think i could have stretched to �249.

It is annoying though to see the difference in price here in the UK. I appreciate there are shipping costs, but not that much. RIM do favour the other side of the Atlantic.
    It's my understanding that UK prices generally include VAT, whereas in Canada and US sales tax is added on top of the advertised price. It may still be more expensive in the UK, but make sure you account for that.
    app_Developer and wyabcp like this.
    01-11-12 06:55 PM
    2) Having a 'budget' product is not good for the image of (me or) the PB
    I agree with you there. In the long run, it's not a good thing for Blackberry to be seen as a "discount" brand. They'll have a very difficult time making a profit on anything innovative if that image sticks to them.

On the other hand, I hope they can make their pricing a little more consistent. If the prices fluctuate too much around the world, then buyers will have a tendency to say "yes, I want that but I'll just wait til it goes down to $X again", which of course eventually forces resellers to bring it to $X, which then makes them a little less eager to restock from RIM after that...

That's not a cycle RIM should want to get into.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-11-12 at 07:05 PM.
    wyabcp likes this.
    01-11-12 07:02 PM
    All three: 16G 32G and 64G are on sale at Futureshop.ca for $299.99. They must be trying to even out the 3 skus.
    01-11-12 07:34 PM
    To the OP, you can now get the 64GB at Carphone Warehouse for �269, Quidco or also giving �50 off that for today only
    01-12-12 03:21 AM
    To the OP, you can now get the 64GB at Carphone Warehouse for �269, Quidco or also giving �50 off that for today only
    Hi,

Thanks for the info on that, the only problem I have there is funds or lack of. I will have to hope for a similar deal on payday at the end of the month

Thanks for your help though I am glad I joined this forum
    01-12-12 03:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD