It's been a while since I did not want to change my mobile.
    In fact, I'm really happy with my Bold 9000 (large keyboard for my big fingers is fine), as I mainly use it for ... phone & mails (no surfing, games or whatever).
    Ok, the 9900 is one big step ahead on numerous points, but only one is really getting my attention : the 3G(+) reception quality and speed.
    I want my PB to enjoy the best bridged browsing experience ... is 9900 the answer ?
    If yes, is it reasonable to evaluate a % of perf. gain ? (this will make me engage for 24 months to my current carrier ...)

Thanks in advance for your lighted answers !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-09-11 at 12:44 PM.
    10-05-11 07:36 AM
    If you like the 9000, the 9900 is a fantastic upgrade in regards to the speed of the phone and the new OS 7. The larger screen is a plus, but I ended up going to a 9810, as the 9900 screen is significantly smaller than a my old 9800 and some of the apps I use did not allow you to change to larger fonts to make them more readable.

In regards to the pairing to the playbook, I tried a speed test web site paired with my old 9000 and the new 9900. Even though the 9900 has HSPA+, there was only a ten or fifteen percent difference in the speeds. I was using a pc style speedtest, not the mobile one. I can't remember the speeds exactly, but it might have been about 1.1 versus 1.2 mbits.
    Last edited by robsteve; 10-05-11 at 09:00 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-05-11 08:58 AM
    Well, I can't believe I've been such in a hurry ...
    But with my carrier (SFR/France), with an adjusted illimited 7,2Gb 3G+ plan @ 50€ (against almost 70 € for my old plan), I got it @ 199 €. Affordable business investment ... and happy kid here !!!
    10-05-11 09:27 AM
    So what is your experience with bridge between the 2 phones? I still have a tour and waiting for my time.
    10-05-11 09:54 AM
    If you like the 9000, the 9900 is a fantastic upgrade in regards to the speed of the phone and the new OS 7. The larger screen is a plus, but I ended up going to a 9810, as the 9900 screen is significantly smaller than a my old 9800 and some of the apps I use did not allow you to change to larger fonts to make them more readable.

In regards to the pairing to the playbook, I tried a speed test web site paired with my old 9000 and the new 9900. Even though the 9900 has HSPA+, there was only a ten or fifteen percent difference in the speeds. I was using a pc style speedtest, not the mobile one. I can't remember the speeds exactly, but it might have been about 1.1 versus 1.2 mbits.
    So are you just running Speedtest.net or something on the PB browser? Even using my +20MB Wifi as a Bridge connection (just for fun to see whats its really capable of) I can only get .7MB from my Storm 2. Thats like half the Bluetooth limitation. Really disappointing. Im worried a new phone wont make much difference.
    10-05-11 09:59 AM
    So what is your experience with bridge between the 2 phones? I still have a tour and waiting for my time.
    9900 comes by mail friday and my new plan starts the 15th of october.
    I'll bench both changes, just to see. But until then ... sry I can't answer your question.
    10-05-11 10:06 AM
    So are you just running Speedtest.net or something on the PB browser? Even using my +20MB Wifi as a Bridge connection (just for fun to see whats its really capable of) I can only get .7MB from my Storm 2. Thats like half the Bluetooth limitation. Really disappointing. Im worried a new phone wont make much difference.
    I was using EastLink Speed Test which is hosted by a local cable company. Your limitations may just be the phone. In its day the 9000 was a pretty quick phone.
    10-05-11 10:26 AM
    I guess it is time to visit Verizon with my 9650 and my pb and test it and then test the new 9930 and compare. But I also don't want to be tempted. I'm hoping that the phone will be offered a bit cheaper around the holidays but maybe it's too popular for any price drop or rebate. The Bridge browser with my current setup can be pretty laggy.
    10-05-11 11:51 AM
    9930 bridges faster and smoother than the 9650

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    FF22 likes this.
    10-05-11 11:54 AM
    I just realized I was very clear in my original post. When I said paired, I meant using tethering, not bridge. If you have to use the Bridge browser, it goes through BIS/BES which can be slower.
    10-05-11 12:04 PM

That answers my question then as I have a 9630.
    10-05-11 12:25 PM
    I just realized I was very clear in my original post. When I said paired, I meant using tethering, not bridge. If you have to use the Bridge browser, it goes through BIS/BES which can be slower.
    In my case tethering will cost, while bridge won't ... so I'll bridge when moving out of home/office
    10-05-11 12:30 PM
    You don't actually have to use the bridge browser as bridging data supports the standard browser and various other apps.
    10-05-11 12:58 PM

It's raining today and I don't feel like heading to Verizon but it does sound promising.
    10-05-11 02:48 PM
    It's raining today and I don't feel like heading to Verizon but it does sound promising.
    do they actually have these on demo at verizon stores?
    Last I checked AT &T store they looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked about it.
    They still had a Torch 1 on display with some missing keys...
    10-05-11 02:58 PM
    do they actually have these on demo at verizon stores?
    Last I checked AT &T store they looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked about it.
    They still had a Torch 1 on display with some missing keys...
    I can only guess that the verizon store near the U might have it on display and maybe even working. I know that I would not consider buying it without being able to try it out.
    10-05-11 04:19 PM
    well, this is it, just got mailed today my new 9900.
    What is pleasant to me is that I never had the feeling of a new "toy".
    Just a warm feeling that it will be the perfect replacement of my bold 9000.
    So far it is 100% correct.

Just out of the box, here are my feelings (no bench no chrono tests) :
    1. Bridge works very fast, much faster than before
    2. While I was a little frustrated with BBBridge setup on my 9000, I just had to tag with my 9900 twice and all went fine, no hassle, no question, no code ... 1 minute setup.
    3. My 9900 seems to better 'understand' when I'm linked to my home wifi (when 9000 seems sometimes to 'forget' it better use wifi than 3G/Edge), resulting in a *wow* browser speed on PB (wifi disabled on it, of course).

... so I've got to play a little with all this, I'll be back to you, especially when my new data plan (7,2 Mb) will operate, i.e 15th of October.

I lied ... I'm like a kid, now ... that's not serious, but, well, that's really goooooood !
    10-08-11 06:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD