Interesting article to consider when naysayers and zealous fanboys claim that the Playbook wont cut it.

Courtesy of Business Insider

99.7% Of People Still Haven't Bought A Tablet Yet

Apple's iPad tablet is probably the fastest-selling new consumer electronics device ever, but the potential for growth in the tablet market for Apple, Google, RIM and others is still massive.

Only 0.3% of the Earth's inhabitants owned a tablet at the end of 2010, RBC analyst Mike Abramsky notes today in a detailed, 88-page report about the future of the tablet market. That means 99.7% of the people on Earth still haven't bought a tablet yet!

In this chart, Abramsky plots the tiny smartphone and tablet user base (394 million worldwide) versus other market, such as TV subscriptions (600 million), total PCs (1.3 billion), and mobile subscribers (5.1 billion).

Abramsky predicts more than 400 million tablet users worldwide by 2014, including 185 million tablets sold in 2014. But he thinks Google Android, not Apple, will come to lead the market, representing 40% of the 2014 tablet market, versus 34% for Apple, 13% for Microsoft, 8% for BlackBerry, and 5% for HP WebOS.

Earlier, we outlined why we think Apple will continue to dominate the market for years to come.

Read more: CHART OF THE DAY: 99.7% Of People Still Haven't Bought A Tablet Yet
    03-04-11 08:44 AM
    Interesting statistic but to be intellectually honest 99.7% of the worlds inhabitants aren't potential customers.

50% of the world's inhabitants won't have 3 square meals today and a bed to sleep on tonite.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-04-11 09:22 AM
    What?!?! World wide populationLOL...

That's a waste of stats and means nothing. I rather see likely buyers, not some 3rd world country,kids or people with no income or interest in buying a tablet.
    03-04-11 09:24 AM
    Interesting statistic but to be intellectually honest 99.7% of the worlds inhabitants aren't potential customers.

50% of the world's inhabitants won't have 3 square meals today and a bed to sleep on tonite.

Dang it man I was 1st in this thread and you come in and get your post off before me but at least I'm not alone in my thinking
    03-04-11 09:25 AM
    Abramsky predicts more than 400 million tablet users worldwide by 2014, including 185 million tablets sold in 2014. But he thinks Google Android, not Apple, will come to lead the market, representing 40% of the 2014 tablet market, versus 34% for Apple, 13% for Microsoft, 8% for BlackBerry, and 5% for HP WebOS.
    Hmm....wonder what Abramsky's predictions were, regarding the ipod and other mp3 players.

Just wondering!
    03-04-11 09:37 AM
    Why isn't RIM selling TV's then, because in 2011, only 20% of the world owns a TV, this is a HUGE market to tap into!

/s
    03-04-11 09:39 AM
    Dang it man I was 1st in this thread and you come in and get your post off before me but at least I'm not alone in my thinking
    Well I am not taking away from his point... Which was that not everybody will shun playbooks in favor if the other two top contenders.. But its better to use statistics that people can relate to and THAT will win more hearts and minds.

My boss at a meeting a few weeks back read a compiled list of global statistics that basically made you thankful for everything you already had in life and made you feel bad for ******** about... Almost anything.

Something like 3 out of 4 human beings currently alive don't even have daily supplies of electrical power... And the percentage of the world's inhabitants that will go to bed tonite not having eaten anything at all today would astound you. Made me feel like a heel for being mad at RIM for not releasing the playbook yet lol.

03-04-11 10:00 AM
    this is a joke right?
    03-04-11 10:47 AM
    this is a joke right?
    I hope so. Think of all the 3rd world countries, babies, and non-technology dependent societies that includes. Maybe if that was the USA, however itd still be iffy

03-04-11 11:04 AM
    Most people will not buy a tablet, most people don't have use for it, look at the fact that the whole world still does not have one cell phone per individual, that having been said as has been stated not everyone can afford one, and as again stated above given the choice of a meal or a tablet i doubt anyone would go hingry or have their kids go hungry so they could have something that is not useful to anyone of them.
    03-04-11 11:08 AM
    Hey maybe people from these third world countries can use a tablet on their head to support their water buckets...

These statistics should be about people who can actually afford to buy tablets, not the entire world.
    03-04-11 11:36 AM
    Hey maybe people from these third world countries can use a tablet on their head to support their water buckets...

These statistics should be about people who can actually afford to buy tablets, not the entire world.
    or download the fireplace app and make it so that it warms up their little straw huts...
    03-04-11 11:55 AM
    If more of the world's total population had tablets, I would thus say we are all #winning!
    howarmat likes this.
    03-04-11 12:09 PM
    lmao that is too funny
    03-04-11 12:37 PM
    Is this analysis written by an elementary school kid because surely the average middle school kid has better reasoning than the ****** who wrote the article.
    03-04-11 12:47 PM
    I only know 3 people who have tablets, and they all have the iPad.
    03-04-11 05:37 PM
    Although exaggerated, it does make a point about the long term view of the tablet market. Contrary to many claims around here, it will be big and continue to grow for several years.

Looking through a lot of this forum, some people act like a good chunk of the potential tablet market has already bought iPads and the small remaining portion will be buying their tablets in the next month and it will be over...
    03-04-11 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD