So, I have my new Torch 9810 and it is nice, fluid and fast. First thing to do is load up wifi while I back up the old 9800. Then I load up crackberry and then reddit. Then I grab my PB as I noticed something odd. So I fire off same time loads of crackberry and reddit and guess what the little 9810 beats the PB in load time via the wifi. I then tested with some other sites and straight jpeg pics on imgar and the little bugger does load and render ever so slightly faster then the dual core, fast as flash playbook.
    08-11-11 08:45 PM
    Yeah sometimes the loading meter does hand which does get frusterating. Other than that its a great browser. And its good to hear the browser is so fast because I'm planning on getting the the torch 2 soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 09:20 PM
    I'm not saying that the PB is slow, I find it very good if not great. I am just really surprised at the speed of the new Torch browser.
    08-12-11 08:52 AM
    I'm not saying that the PB is slow, I find it very good if not great. I am just really surprised at the speed of the new Torch browser.
    That's great to hear. The last measurement I saw for the T2 browser, it was slower than T1. I figured it was just a matter of a software tweak to bring it up to snuff. Even being to the PB would be good; but faster, that's just gravy!

08-12-11 10:02 AM
    The browser on the PB is in its infancy while the one on the BB has reached its latest maturity being the OS7 probably the last iteration of the original BBOS.

I suspect that soon we will see great speed improvements in the PB browser because there is still a huge margin to work with..

Consider also that the PB has to load flash contents as well that require more time, it would be interested trying a test with flash OFF

Finally the dual core architecture really kicks when you are running multiple applications and you are multitasking. Probably when it renders a website the dual processor is not used while the higher speed of the single core processor gives an advantage to the 9810!

Looking forward to get my 9900 fro TMO!!!!!!!!
    08-12-11 11:26 AM
    Like david said - try it with Flash disabled. Your Torch is not running Flash.

08-12-11 12:31 PM
    So pinkert11, how is bridge to a 9810? do you see a considerable improvement? is it faster compared to the 9800?
    08-12-11 03:47 PM
    Like david said - try it with Flash disabled. Your Torch is not running Flash.

How would that affect straight loading of JPG's as the OP stated he tried? Shouldn't.

08-12-11 03:52 PM
    The browser on the PB is in its infancy while the one on the BB has reached its latest maturity being the OS7 probably the last iteration of the original BBOS.
    Not really. The current BB browser has only been around since BB OS 6.0. The older versions of the OS had a completely different browser.
    08-12-11 03:58 PM
    How would that affect straight loading of JPG's as the OP stated he tried? Shouldn't.

I don't know, but there is one easy way to find out.
    08-12-11 04:32 PM
    The amount of data downloaded (jpg images) on BB phones and PlayBook aren't the same, besides, even though u're using WiFi, if u're on BIS, the data get compressed through RIM servers.
    That's why BB loads faster than PB. CMIIW
    08-12-11 05:13 PM
    Ok, flash off the play book wins, but it is just by a small tight margin. About the same amount that the T2 wins when flash is turned on. To me, they are both very fast and very acceptable. If you look at it this way I have my desktop at home, a tecra I7 8gig ram, a tecra I5 8 gig ram, a Toshiba netbook with 4 gig ram and then there is my wife's satpro i5 and when at home I use the playbook. infact I have to fight my 8 year old for it as she prefers to use the playbook for web surfing then the netbook. I think I am going to purchase a second playbook soon so the kids can share it. They love it for games, movies, music and the web. My poor playbook sees more cbc.ca/kids then anything else

As for the bridge, yes I find that it is a bit smoother with the T2. I use the memo pad a lot as it syncs right into my lotus notes. This allows for quick follow-ups and easy task scheduling for the IT team. The BP is now my go to device for meetings as I can type fast, or voice record and type notes at the same time. It rocks for that. Before the T2 I would suffer a bit of lag opening or searching for the notes, but now it is very responsive. Scroll, click note and it opens in a second or less. Also the hyperlinks open really fast no more delay on those when opening from an email or note.

Today at lunch out of the office I got a call and had to quickly edit some share point views and security. This normally means eat quicker, or wrap and go. However today I loaded share point via the bridge browser and made the changes remote. It was not as fast as my notebook, but it was not slow, I did the changes at a decent speed. I am thrilled with that.

Even more then the bridge browser the normal browser also gets a good kick on the T2. It is simply fast, almost as fast as wifi. Grocery shopping on Sunday was very quite as the 5 year old played cbc.ca/kids the entire trip out. In the past the speed pull on the BB was simply not quite fast enough for flash games and you tube (kids love pink panther and road runner) would freeze a bit. Not any more you tube runs smooth but like I stated the flash at cbc/kids ran perfectly. I also doubt that any of you are as picky as a five year old when it comes to their flash games lagging.

You may note by my post that I use the playbook and my BB a lot. I can honestly say that yesterday was the first time I left the house without the Playbook since I got it on day one. I like to be always on for work, and I like to have a quick fix to entertain my kids. I have aspergers and so does my eldest daughter so it is important for me to have a way to help keep her cool and calm her down when she feels the tension of aspergers. In all honesty the playbook has allowed us to go out more as a family as my daughter can use the PB while we are out. For example we never used to go to restaurants too much due to the noise, confusion and wait, not to mention new surroundings. All of these are very hard on aspergers. However on Sat. night we went to a new restaurant that was very busy and my eldest talked a bit, then started to get wiggly and ancy and was talking of just wanting to leave. I pulled out the PB and she and her little sister took turns playing plate breaker. They smiled, had fun and soon the food arrived. It was an awesome night for us.
    Last edited by pinkert11; 08-15-11 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added more
    missing_K-W likes this.
    08-15-11 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD