So I am getting my wife a new phone with a data plan, if it was just for her use I think 500MB would be more then enough but because I will tether to it as well I just don't know.

I don't think I would do any heavy streaming or download any hi-def podcasts that would eat that up but I can definitely see how fast I could burn through it if I try.

I talked to bell and they gave me two plan options)

1) $45
    Free evenings after 6 + weekends
    150 minutes
    5 numbers for free calling and texting
    unlimited text
    500 MB data
    call display, voice, etc

2) $55
    Free evenings after 6 + weekends
    200 minutes
    10 numbers for free calling and texting
    unlimited text
    1 GB data
    call display, voice, etc

My wife is not a heavy user, unlimited text is overkill, she has never texted. she doesn't need 10 numbers free, 5 is more then enough. With the 5 free numbers + evening/weekend having 150 minutes should be enough. But 500 MB data...

If you are currently on a 500MB plan and are tethering(not bridge) how is that working out for you? If we limit it to just to basic web sites, no video would 500 be enough?
    05-12-11 03:46 PM
    Well, the first problem is you spoke to Bell

I only have 500MB which is more than enough, but you can't tether unless you have 1GB. So just keep that in mind and check with Bell or whoever to see if that is/isn't the case as well.
    05-12-11 03:55 PM
    Spend the $10
    05-12-11 03:58 PM
    If this is cell related, you might want to try here (Howardforums):

Canadian Carrier Discussion

Probably the best source for cellphone provider info.
    A7omic likes this.
    05-12-11 04:12 PM
    Well, the first problem is you spoke to Bell

I only have 500MB which is more than enough, but you can't tether unless you have 1GB. So just keep that in mind and check with Bell or whoever to see if that is/isn't the case as well.
    Really, then why am I tethering with a 500 MB plan with Bell...

There's no restrictions with tethering, other then if you go over it's 5 cents a MB.

No video's and just regular sites I'd think 500 might be enough. But I haven't tethered enough yet to get a feel, if I did, I'd probably have to upgrade, as I'd go to sites with video occasionally. See for a month and just watch thru your bell app to see your usage. And isn't it just a $5 upgrade to 1GB from 500, if so get the 1st plan and upgrade and save $5 lol.
    Last edited by jwn66; 05-12-11 at 04:45 PM.
    05-12-11 04:41 PM
    Really, then why am I tethering with a 500 MB plan with Bell...

There's no restrictions with tethering, other then if you go over it's 5 cents a MB.
    bell has no tethering restrictions. rogers requires you to have the 1gb plan to tether
    05-12-11 04:45 PM
    i have 250MB data plan (uk) which is more than enough (as long as you dont streaming)
    05-12-11 04:54 PM
    I don't know whether you want to stay with Bell or not, but Rogers offers the same $55 plan right now. They actually released it first I believe.
    05-12-11 05:03 PM
    Can anyone verify this $5 upgrade?
    05-12-11 05:03 PM
    I don't know about Bell, but with Rogers it's just the price difference between the 500MB and 1GB plans. I'm assuming it would be something similar for any of the major carriers.

Since Bell allows tethering on 500MB, I would agree with jwn66 - start with the 500 and increase later if you need it.
    05-12-11 08:24 PM
    I'm with bell to and been wondering about this too. I been tethering a little bit. And my plane is only 500mb. I've herd of horror stories of ppl going over there plane and don't want that happening to me. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 08:29 PM
    You should also check out TELUS!
    05-12-11 09:43 PM
    For those who say you CANT tether on a 500MB plan with Rogers...that is TOTALLY False!!
    Iv been tethering on a 500MB with Rogers since the Launch of the PB. Only warning though...PB Eats up ALOT of data. Definitely much more then a BB Phone.
    05-12-11 09:53 PM
    If this is cell related, you might want to try here (Howardforums):

Canadian Carrier Discussion

Probably the best source for cellphone provider info.
    In terms of plan pricing this is very helpful, thank you.
    05-12-11 10:02 PM
    For those who say you CANT tether on a 500MB plan with Rogers...that is TOTALLY False!!
    Iv been tethering on a 500MB with Rogers since the Launch of the PB. Only warning though...PB Eats up ALOT of data. Definitely much more then a BB Phone.

i was told by Rogers you need 1gb to tether. i can confirm tethering did not function on my laptop or Playbook (excluding Bridge Browser) until i upgradedto 1GB.
    05-12-11 10:06 PM
    i was told by Rogers you need 1gb to tether. i can confirm tethering did not function on my laptop or Playbook (excluding Bridge Browser) until i upgradedto 1GB.
    Tethering worked perfect for me.
    You need to edit something in the settings and you can tether on 500mb
    05-12-11 10:22 PM
    I have a 500mb plan with Rogers and can tether as well. You have to create a new profile (name it something other than Rogers) under the Internet Tethering settings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 05:49 AM
    Well I have the Rogers 6GB data plan, and with 1 day left to go in my billing cycle, I haven't broke 1.5GB yet and thats using my PB to stream youtube, tsn.ca video highlights and web surfing at lunch at work.

I would personally go with the 1GB plan just in case
    05-13-11 07:49 AM
    I guess the other factor to think about is this is considering today's usage, sites and their content will change a lot over the 3 years of the contract. 500 MB might be just ok now but in 2 years 1 GB might be barely enough.
    05-13-11 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD