It's been over two months since the wifi playbook launch. You'd think at least one of the HSPA+, Wimax, or LTE playbook should be pretty easy to make considering that the wifi-only version is out and about. When do you think they will ship?
    06-27-11 10:38 AM
    you don't need one. Just buy a wifi playbook, pay for tethering on your phone ($15, rather than another 30 dollar plan). Whenever you need 3g or 4g access just tether it. Your saving money and still only managing one data account. I wouldn't expect to see 4g until late fall or even end of year

***tethering can be done using any phone, unlike bridge where you need bb phone***
    Jayeboi likes this.
    06-27-11 10:43 AM
    My wife has the xoom 3g, 4g upgradable. I was all against it, thinking she should get the wifi only version. But its damned convenient to use the gps, and get internet access whenever she needs it. I would be up for paying another 20 bucks a month for a 3g-4g Playbook.
    06-27-11 10:44 AM
    I am so impressed by bridge... who needs ANOTHER expensive data plan? I am happy with sprint's unlimited data plan... I'd hate to be a verizon customer as their data is just ridiculously expensive and just went up in pricing.
    Last edited by esqlaw; 06-27-11 at 10:51 AM.
    06-27-11 10:49 AM
    I am so impressed by bridge... who needs ANOTHER expensive data plan? I am happy with sprint's unlimited data plan... I'd hate to be a verizon customer as their data is just ridiculously expensive and just went up in pricing.
    if you are verizon customer then the tier data doesnt matter since you are already grandfathered in on your unlimited plan.
    06-27-11 11:32 AM
    if you are verizon customer then the tier data doesnt matter since you are already grandfathered in on your unlimited plan.
    Uhhhhhh really? I's like more info on that. I'm a verizon customer with unlimite data on my BB and tethering absolutely does not work. Verizon detects it and makes you buy the tethering package.
    06-27-11 12:14 PM
    for those who have bought a wifi version, id say wait for the new blackberries with wifi hotspot capabilities coming out in the fall, atleast thats whats rumored. i personally dont like bt tethering, its slow and spotty. but at the same time, i dont want to pay for a 4g plan separate from my phones, since i need tethering on my laptop too.
    06-27-11 01:22 PM
    Uhhhhhh really? I's like more info on that. I'm a verizon customer with unlimited data on my BB and tethering absolutely does not work. Verizon detects it and makes you buy the tethering package.
    You still have to enable your BB as a mobile hotspot, which has always costs $20 extra in addition your unlimited data plan. New customers will have to purchase one of the tiered plans which LIMIT usage. Whereas your current $30 doesn't limit usage.

A closer look at the new Verizon Wireless data plans | CrackBerry.com
    06-27-11 04:52 PM
    You still have to enable your BB as a mobile hotspot, which has always costs $20 extra in addition your unlimited data plan. New customers will have to purchase one of the tiered plans which LIMIT usage. Whereas your current $30 doesn't limit usage.

A closer look at the new Verizon Wireless data plans | CrackBerry.com
    Why do all that when you can use the bridge browser to your 3G phone which already has a data plan? No extra charge for bridging if you are already on unlimited data plan..
    06-27-11 05:04 PM
    Why do all that when you can use the bridge browser to your 3G phone which already has a data plan? No extra charge for bridging if you are already on unlimited data plan..
    Oh I completely agree. I'd rather bridge instead of pay extra. However someone may find the need to access a wifi required app. This can't be achieved thru bridge. Also unfortunately enabling any current BB as a hotspot won't work because current BB are not true hotspots. When you internet tether your BB will enter modem Mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 06-27-11 at 05:17 PM.
    06-27-11 05:11 PM
    Bridge doesn't just open a data connection to your Playbook. It's more an interface to your phone using the Playbook. There are many uses other than PIM/email/BBM/Browsing for which Bridge won't provide a data connection. Bridge is also typically slower than what wifi tethering can provide, and will become even more apparent with 4G phones as Bridge via Bluetooth won't ever come close to accommodating the speeds of 4G service.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-27-11 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD