Im in London,UK. Today it was announced that my carrier will be the first to be allowed to launch 4G/LTE in the UK, t-mobile said they could have some of the signal running by October.
    At the moment i use a 3G dongle to connect my PB, i presume that when 4G. Arrives i will be able to upgrade the dongle to 4G. And voila.
    Is that how it works?
    Brilliant news for UK users anyway.

Cheers
    rexrim likes this.
    08-21-12 12:05 PM
    Yeah, it'll connect through the dongle should you opt to pick one up.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-21-12 02:10 PM
    Cool, thanks for the reply.
    Just want to make it clear that I'm talking about the wireless network 4G, not the playbook, LTE.
    T-mobile uk have been given the go ahead to roll out 4G in the UK, just hoping my old playbook can handle it.
    08-21-12 03:50 PM
    Yeah and Vodafone and O2 are angry. For the right reasons in my opinion. Everyone should be allowed to offer 4G at the same time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-21-12 03:58 PM
    Why have T-mobile been allowed when other carriers haven't? Also, will the 4G be nationwide when T-mobile roll it out or will it only be available in certain areas? Will 3G Blackberry phones that currently support 3G automatically connect to 4G when it is available or will we need different handsets? Just wondering if my bold 9790 will connect to 4G then my playbook will tether to it and have super fast internet?
    08-22-12 02:36 AM
    Hi pixie

4G cell towers will continue to support 3G as well.... unfortunately if you want super fast internet you will have to upgrade to 4G devices - if you are stuck on 3G contracts or do you don't want to upgrade all your BB devices, then a work around will be to get a 4G 'hotspot' wi-fi dongle (or whatever they call them), and then wi-fi connect all your devices to the new gadget for blistering speed!

FYI - Any phone operator in the UK who has spare capacity on their bandwidth, is able to apply to the regulator to use some of this bandwidth for 4G. The advantage that EE (Everything Everywhere) has, is that they have achieved greater economies of scale for network/bandwidth/capacity than the other operators, via their merge of the old Orange & T-Mobile networks, and therefore have some spare to immediately use for 4G provisioning

Hope that makes sense!
    08-22-12 02:56 AM
    EE have sold some of their spectrum to three to enable them to also offer a 4g service.
    08-22-12 03:06 AM
    Brilliant news for UK users anyway....Cheers
    sorry to spoil the excitement -
    Telekom is forecasting a storm what's not even a fart at the moment....

even so, if they perform same as in Germany now (August 2012)
    Birmingham (and maybe Dudley!) will have best whereas London worst coverage.
    http://www.4g.de/wp-content/uploads/...te_staedte.png

not worthwhile ordering one from Canada...

Damian
    08-22-12 03:21 AM
    It wouldn't work here anyway the radio is incomptable.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    08-22-12 03:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD