Questions

Presently I have a 3G BB 9780 from T-mobile in the US and 2 gb Data Plan
    which is sometimes a little slow
    GSM 3G was never intended for data, it was intended for improved voice communications, texting, SMS

If I upgrade to a 4G Blackberry Phone will the bridge provide me with a 4G speed when using the bridge browser or is the speed and bandwith of the bridge not fast enough for 4G ??? Or the BT bridge is too slow?
    So if that works why should I buy a new LTE Playbook?

Using the bridged browser in EU and in the UAE the speed drops to 2.5 GSM Edge and is fast enough to browse, I just use email then, and look for an open WIFI spot in a hotel lobby.

Thanks

greetings from NYC

Last edited by hreiner1; 08-09-12 at 01:02 PM.
    08-09-12 12:39 PM
    Upgrading to a 4G phone will increase your phone's data and processor speed which will result in an effective increase in speed via the Bridge even though the bluetooth connection speed hasn't changed. I upgraded from a Torch 9800 to a 9810 and get near double the Bridge browsing speed with HSPA+ than I got with a 3G connection on my phone. That said I would have to say that a direct 4G connection to the PlayBook should be even faster than 4G that is then transmitted through a Bluetooth 2.1 connection to the PlayBook.
    hreiner1 and CCJSW10 like this.
    08-09-12 12:52 PM
    And the reason to buy the new LTE PlayBook is because it is BlackBerry...
    08-09-12 01:37 PM
    First off the 4G is geared towards enterprise and not the consumer. RIM is hoping big businesses and governments pick it up.

As far as having a 4G BlackBerry phone vs the 4G Playbook ,your 4G phone is not going to match a direct lte connection that the new PlayBook has and the wifi version has a 1 ghz processor vs the 4G 1.5

From what I saw in the side by side the 4G has a noticeable increase in speed because of this.
    08-09-12 02:57 PM
    First off the 4G is geared towards enterprise and not the consumer. RIM is hoping big businesses and governments pick it up.

As far as having a 4G BlackBerry phone vs the 4G Playbook ,your 4G phone is not going to match a direct lte connection that the new PlayBook has and the wifi version has a 1 ghz processor vs the 4G 1.5

From what I saw in the side by side the 4G has a noticeable increase in speed because of this.
    I think a 4g bb and pb mobile hot spot combination would result in the same speed connection when pb run on 4g wifi speed?. Cuz wifi always faster than bluetooth connection i believe. Though the additional processor would be un-comparable. Would the 4g BB n playbook hot spot only be a little slower than direct lte connection

I have verizon share data and. I run my pb on my bb hot spot. The connection is definitely faster than bridging
    08-09-12 03:20 PM
    08-09-12 07:11 PM
    Questions

Presently I have a 3G BB 9780 from T-mobile in the US and 2 gb Data Plan
    which is sometimes a little slow
    GSM 3G was never intended for data, it was intended for improved voice communications, texting, SMS

If I upgrade to a 4G Blackberry Phone will the bridge provide me with a 4G speed when using the bridge browser or is the speed and bandwith of the bridge not fast enough for 4G ??? Or the BT bridge is too slow?
    So if that works why should I buy a new LTE Playbook?

Using the bridged browser in EU and in the UAE the speed drops to 2.5 GSM Edge and is fast enough to browse, I just use email then, and look for an open WIFI spot in a hotel lobby.

Thanks

greetings from NYC

Having gone from 3G to 4G on tmobile I can tell you there is a very noticable increase in web browsing, email and message loading when bridged to the playbook.

However I'm not sure if it has anything to do with going from a 9360 on 3G to a 9900 on 4G.
    08-09-12 08:27 PM
    ...I have verizon share data and. I run my pb on my bb hot spot. The connection is definitely faster than bridging
    I recently switched to the Share Everything plan on Verizon and found using the HotSpot on my Torch provides better browsing performance on the PlayBook than Bridge as well.

I also tested VidChat using HotSpot over the phone's 3G connection. It was virtually the same as WiFi. That was a surprise. Although I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you have a healthy allotment of data allowance.
    08-09-12 11:53 PM
    I'm confused here.. I have 3G and it's speeds of approx. 4-6mbps.. What's 3G GSM?

Regardless of your 3G/4G connection, BB Bridge is limited to a max capacity of 1.5-2 mbps as of now due to Bluetooth restriction.
    08-10-12 12:59 AM
    If RIM wants to improve the sale of PlayBook 4G, they should announce something like, OS2.1 will only be available in PB 4G...
    08-10-12 01:28 AM
    Thanks for the worst idea ever Joshua_sx1
    08-10-12 01:33 AM
    Just kidding of course... but with RIM, everything is possible...

...or not possible...
    08-10-12 01:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD