So the debate still rages on the necessity of adding 3G/4G chips to tablets. I found it interesting that they aren't selling real well.

RCR is a wireless industry news site for those that don't know.

Are 3G/4G connected tablets a waste of time? | RCR Unplugged

Me personally I would prefer a 3G/4G playbook but I also realize that my situation is different because I don't have to pay for the service because my company would...

PG
    08-16-11 07:51 AM
    Not surprised.

I would honestly be shocked to not see some sort of Bridging applications for most tablets - maybe not the free web tethering, but email/messaging/etc. - come around soon, if they don't exist already.
    08-16-11 07:59 AM
    Necessary? Is it necessary that I drink my own urine? No. But I do it anyway, because it's sterile and I like the taste...

If you haven't seen Dodgeball, this reply may not be fully appreciated.
    Barljo and phonegeek#AC like this.
    08-16-11 08:45 AM
    Necessary? Is it necessary that I drink my own urine? No. But I do it anyway, because it's sterile and I like the taste...

If you haven't seen Dodgeball, this reply may not be fully appreciated.
    I got the reference. Rip Torn was awesome in that movie. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Anyway, 3G/4G for a tablet is a great idea, but the carriers will charge for data access, and that gets expensive, especially on top of another data plan already in place for your phone. That's probably why it isn't doing well.
    08-16-11 09:17 AM
    I am one of those NOT interested in paying another monthly bill. So wifi will have to do. I'm sure that I'm not alone - another $20-$30 a month probably keeps a number of folks away. Businesses might be able to afford it but I'm sure there are even some of those hesitant to add lots of employees to another monthly billing scenario.

That is until someone produces a tablet like Amazon's 3g Kindle which costs a bit more initially but does not include another monthly bill. But then again, the kindle is not expected to produce a terrific data/browsing/email service. It does work as my friend just proved on a trip to the Sierra with his Kindle dx as opposed to my k3-wifi but it is laggy and limited.
    d3adcrab likes this.
    08-16-11 09:27 AM
    I would honestly be shocked to not see some sort of Bridging applications for most tablets.
    Jobs said that 'bridge' was not an option being considered on the Apple line
    08-16-11 09:37 AM
    Simple answer is why buy into another data plan when you can tether your phone or set it as a WIFI hot spot? I think most people have caught on to this. I even know apple users who purchased the ipad 2 4g then cancelled the data-plan and only use the WIFI. They did so as the WIFI only unit was in short supply and hard to find. Paying two data plans simply makes no sense.
    08-16-11 09:50 AM
    Would have been nice if they even went the way of the Kindle and have access to apps.
    08-16-11 09:52 AM
    Simple answer is why buy into another data plan when you can tether your phone or set it as a WIFI hot spot? I think most people have caught on to this. I even know apple users who purchased the ipad 2 4g then cancelled the data-plan and only use the WIFI. They did so as the WIFI only unit was in short supply and hard to find. Paying two data plans simply makes no sense.
    There's no plan to cancel on the 3G iPad -- it's pay as you go. A lot of people buy the 3G iPad to get the GPS hardware (which is not on the wi-fi version) and simply never sign up for any month-to-month 3G plan. I mainly use Wi-fi and only sign up for 3G (about $15 per month) when I know I am taking the device on travel.

Most people I know with wi-fi iPads tether them off their iPhones or Android phones when they go on travel, though this requires an extra monthly cost from many carriers. Still, it must be more cost effective for these people than buying the 3G model and going month to month.
    08-16-11 10:07 AM
    When my wife bought her Xoom I just about pulled my hair out when she said she bought it at Verizon with another data plan. HOWEVER, I gotta say its damned convenient. For what she does, gps, emails, she uses about .3 gigs at the most. So 20 bucks a month doesnt seem that big of a deal. Less than half a tank of gas for a months constant connectivity. If the Playbook should at some time offer the same option, I would consider it.
    08-16-11 10:28 AM
    It's necessary for me. I want a truely mobile tablet that does not depend on another mobile device to be useful.

I gave up on the PB in June and purchased the orginal Galaxy Tab - Verizon. It's every thing I want in a mobile tablet. I have moved most of my apps from my phone to the Tab. The only apps left on my phone are the PIM apps, Yelp, Evernote, ConvertPad, Office Calculator, and Chuzzle(will not scale to the Tab and recently cannot find any Pop Cap games in the Android Market).

I've also stopped using my laptop except for my biofeedback games(Wild Divine), Reel Deal Slots, going to my company's website, and editing my passcode locked notes in Evernote.
    08-16-11 11:47 AM
    3G is necessary for business. WiFi isn't a secure means of tracking and wiping a lost or stolen device. If you lose your Playbook today, there is no means of tracking it down. Ideally the 3G model (for business) will be BES integrated and as such have the ability to remotely wipe the unit. Too hard to do that with WiFi only, at the moment.
    08-16-11 12:10 PM
    since playbook at present is excellent in internet websurfing, 3G or 4G is really a must...
    08-16-11 12:26 PM
    3G is necessary for business. WiFi isn't a secure means of tracking and wiping a lost or stolen device. If you lose your Playbook today, there is no means of tracking it down. Ideally the 3G model (for business) will be BES integrated and as such have the ability to remotely wipe the unit. Too hard to do that with WiFi only, at the moment.
    It s convenient but not really necessary for business, as it is right now no sensitive data is stored on the PB, so there is no need for remote wiping the device.
    08-16-11 02:00 PM
    It s convenient but not really necessary for business, as it is right now no sensitive data is stored on the PB, so there is no need for remote wiping the device.
    As it stands right now, there is no native email nor 3G. When there is native email than "sensitive" email will be stored on the device.

Also, just because you have the bridge, it doesn't mean you don't have other information on the device you want others seeing. Just becuase there isn't contacts or emails, doesn't mean there isn't sensitive information being stored.

So yes, it is really necessary for business.
    08-16-11 02:29 PM
    different needs for different people. If the company is paying i would like a 3g/4g tab. If its my bill i would get a 20% discount so its only $16 more a month or 1 less coffee a week from starbucks. not a deal breaker.
    08-16-11 03:10 PM
    The final deciding factor for me to get the PB over the Android tablets was the wifi only, and the ability to bridge to my Torch. I have no intention of adding another data plan.
    08-16-11 03:56 PM
    As it stands right now, there is no native email nor 3G. When there is native email than "sensitive" email will be stored on the device.

Also, just because you have the bridge, it doesn't mean you don't have other information on the device you want others seeing. Just becuase there isn't contacts or emails, doesn't mean there isn't sensitive information being stored.

So yes, it is really necessary for business.
    Personal information yes, but for business the company could use the device as an extention to a BES activated BB, not allowing the company email through the native app, and accessing all docs through bridge files, 3g/4g IS convenient but not a necessity, of course if RIM is planning to introduce BES to its native e-mail app it wouldnt make sense for companies to adquire the PB without 3g/4g if they plan to go that route.
    08-16-11 06:26 PM
    I have a Galaxy Tab 7" 3G (GTab), and I think it's important, especially in a country that lack of free WiFi hotspots. Though I subscribed for the cheapest plan available per month, I found it expensive because I already use a BlackBerry (BIS). One good thing about non-US GTab is the phone function (which most think ridiculous), coz I now use it as my secondary number (personal use, since BB is for work).
    Before, I was ready to sell my GTab or use it as a phone and WiFi only device (got WiFi in office and home) but after I got a PlayBook, I hesitated.
    I could use it as WiFi hotspot or use the internet tethering (in case someone hack into the WiFi password) for my PB.
    In conclusion, when HSPA+ (4G) PB arrives (won't rely on LTE/WiMax version since uncertainty in the government) I am more than ready to trade-in my WiFi PB!
    I am not rich, so I will trade my PB and Galaxy Tab for a HSPA+ PB.

ps: If u asked why I said that I'm not rich but have a PB and GTab, I got them for free
    08-16-11 06:47 PM
    Personal information yes, but for business the company could use the device as an extention to a BES activated BB, not allowing the company email through the native app, and accessing all docs through bridge files, 3g/4g IS convenient but not a necessity, of course if RIM is planning to introduce BES to its native e-mail app it wouldnt make sense for companies to adquire the PB without 3g/4g if they plan to go that route.
    Then why have a Playbook at all?
    08-17-11 07:57 AM
    Then why have a Playbook at all?
    Bigger screen?
    08-17-11 10:31 AM
    since playbook at present is excellent in internet websurfing, 3G or 4G is really a must...
    I have 3G on my Wi-Fi PlayBook, it's called tethering to my Bold 9000. For quick net access, there is Bridge Browser. No additional cost.

When was the last time you didn't have your phone with you?
    08-17-11 12:05 PM
    Same here, I'm in the WIFI boat, I got a Blackberry, love it and have a 6gig plan from telus free teather so, why pay an extra fee to teather when it's already there?
    And here almost everyone gives out wifi.
    MC DONALD'S
    HOME DEPOT
    STARBUCKS
    and on...
    I travel alot and am across the 401 , 400 etc major highways, if needed when I'm pulled over I just teather get what i need and off I go.

But this is just my opinon take it for what its worth.
    $20 bucks saved can add up each month.
    08-17-11 08:51 PM
    So the debate still rages on the necessity of adding 3G/4G chips to tablets. I found it interesting that they aren't selling real well.

RCR is a wireless industry news site for those that don't know.

Are 3G/4G connected tablets a waste of time? | RCR Unplugged

Me personally I would prefer a 3G/4G playbook but I also realize that my situation is different because I don't have to pay for the service because my company would...

PG
    Personally I don't think I would have even considered PlayBook if I had to get another data plan. It was bridge that sold me and that is why I didnt wait for 4G/ LTE version.
    08-17-11 09:10 PM
    Same here, I'm in the WIFI boat, I got a Blackberry, love it and have a 6gig plan from telus free teather so, why pay an extra fee to teather when it's already there?
    And here almost everyone gives out wifi.
    MC DONALD'S
    HOME DEPOT
    STARBUCKS
    and on...
    I travel alot and am across the 401 , 400 etc major highways, if needed when I'm pulled over I just teather get what i need and off I go.

But this is just my opinon take it for what its worth.
    $20 bucks saved can add up each month.
    Most US carriers are not so generous with tethering. Almost as much as another data package.
    08-17-11 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD