The wife was confiscating my playbook too often, and the kicker was her taking it on a trip for the weekend, so I pulled the trigger on a second one while they are still at the rock bottom price of $199.

I ended up going to staples this time around, and as with my first purchase, the store was not exactly a banner for the product. For starters, the demo version they had was non-functional, just like at the futureshop where my first one was purchased. I asked the sales guy if their stock contained the new OS yet. What new OS?? He then tried to sell me an overpriced case for the unit. No thanks, the neoprene sleeve that comes with it is fine. Sleeve? No, it does not come with a sleeve or a case, you should buy one, oh, and look, we have wipes on sale for only 99 cents. But it comes with a cloth wipe too....never mind, can I just pay for it now?

I was kinda hoping that this time around my buying experience would be different, given that the product has apparently been selling well with the new prices, combined with the media coverage (although subdued) over the new OS.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-29-12 07:01 AM
    Too funny.... My wife gave me nothing but grief when I bought my PlayBook last year and now I have to pry it out of her hands.

I bought her one for her upcoming birthday while the prices were low.

I went to London Drugs and they had a fully operational display model and a very knowledgeable sales staff. They all about the new OS and had PlayBook of their own and/or also purchased PlayBook for family while they were on sale.

My wife will get a 32gb PlayBook for her birthday and I will get mine back.

02-29-12 09:28 AM
    I can provide some encouraging news on the store front. I was in a meeting a few weeks ago with RIM in talks about the launch of 2.0, and they mentioned that they've got a new training and demo initiative rolling out to all stores.

They specifically touched on ensuring the demo units are functional and that staff know their stuff about 2.0. Having worked in retail electronics myself I'd say that the latter is a long shot, but it'll be good to have working demo units.
    02-29-12 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD