Hi All,

I'm sorry if this question was up a couple of times, but I'm new to the PB and not 100% sure if everything is ok with my 'new to me' 2nd hand 32GB PB or if I was unlucky and the PB had his best days over. This morning I got my PB from the post office and set everything up, the charge was at this stage at 54%, after that I hucked it up to the wall charger and there was the first thing what is worrying me, the micro USB port is VERY lose and seams to be very flimsy (total the upside to my Android phone and tablet). However, I managed to get it charging and left it there for a couple of h. Later on I turned it back on and used it for surfing the web, watch a few youtube videos... in total I probably used it only for 30 to 40 minutes. I was then checking the charge again and it was at 52%. I checked on the internet and everyone is saying that the PB usually is keeping up and running for a couple of hours. Can anyone please confirm that it is correct that the USB port is so lose? Secondly, how long is you PB running on a normal charge?

Many Thanks for any reply.
    Regards,

Markus
    02-02-13 12:52 PM
    Start the charging cycle. Once the red light comes on turn it off and leave it on charge overnight.
    MarkONEuk likes this.
    02-02-13 12:59 PM
    is he/she sick?
    02-02-13 01:02 PM
    for loose USB port i recommend you switch to Rapid Charger , then you wont need to use the USB port, it uses the 3 dots magnetic connector next to the usb port , , and it charges super fast !
    MarkONEuk likes this.
    02-02-13 01:29 PM
    ....However, I managed to get it charging and left it there for a couple of h. Later on I turned it back on and used it for surfing the web, watch a few youtube videos... in total I probably used it only for 30 to 40 minutes. I was then checking the charge again and it was at 52%.....
    did you check the battery level before starting to watch videos ?
    usually 30-40 minutes of video should drain the battery about 10% <<< just an approximation not really done any specific tests.
    If you are really concerned about your Battery you should try this app >> Battery Guru
    02-02-13 01:40 PM
    Can anyone please confirm that it is correct that the USB port is so lose?
    Not sure how it is become "correct" for something that is "lose"... if it is lose, there must be something incorrect... are you using the PB original charger? If no, you have to use original charger... If yes, and the power connection (USB port) is somehow lose, you probably need to take care of it during charging or buy the rapid charger... it will lessen the use of USB port and lessen the tension of totally losing your connections...
    02-02-13 01:49 PM
    Be careful in plugging in charger into the USB port. It is easy to jam it in wrong side up and thus damage the port. Recommend that you carefully examine the port using a small led flashlight. There are several threads on this forums discussing this problem. A rapid charger is very useful and you would be better off with one if it doesn't hurt your pocket too much. Definitely would get Battery Guru and use it to help assess current state of health of the battery.

You say you hooked it up to the wall charger. Was this the BlackBerry charger that would be supplied with the Playbook?
    MarkONEuk likes this.
    02-02-13 02:24 PM
    The OP would love to reply but the pb is on charge and off as recommended.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    02-02-13 02:35 PM
    is he/she sick?
    I don't know why someone who asks for help deserves this kind of response.
    Jeovex and MarkONEuk like this.
    02-02-13 04:53 PM
    I'm not sure what that response meant!

Sent from my BlackBerry Veedu using Tapatalk 3
    02-02-13 04:56 PM
    Thanks all for your reply, I installed the Battery guru and it states that the battery health is at 87% and the PB had 141 loading cycles... Not sure if 87% is good or not? However, I will probably order one of the rapid charges. I have to say I'm VERY impressed by the Tablet, compared to a other Android tablet (Lenovo IdeaPad A2109) the PB feels more powerful and more responsive (I haven't checked any games as I'm not very interested in it). Thanks again for all the tips.
    Qaxl likes this.
    02-03-13 12:35 PM
    My Playbook has 195 charging cycles and I have used it about every day for 13 months. From other posts 87% battery health is not unusual. When you are in Battery Guru swipe down from the top and you will see how to access the developers information and you can also find many of his posts on the forum. Look for peter9477.
    MarkONEuk likes this.
    02-03-13 01:36 PM
    Does battery gurur help extend the battery life? I down loaded it this morning and from the reviews they say it works.
    02-03-13 04:36 PM
    Welcome to the forums and to the PB!

Battery life is reeeeally relative... My PB can last anything from 3 days to one hour one a single charge. It all boils down to what I do. It usually makes 6-10 hours if I only do work stuff on it. If I feel the need for speed or crave some space terror, then it usually dies down around the 2nd hour.

If the device was struggling for signal while you were using it, then it can discharge even faster.

And yes, wobbly usb is normal. Just don't push too hard.
    MarkONEuk likes this.
    02-03-13 04:54 PM
    Thanks all for your reply, I installed the Battery guru and it states that the battery health is at 87% and the PB had 141 loading cycles... Not sure if 87% is good or not? However, I will probably order one of the rapid charges. I have to say I'm VERY impressed by the Tablet, compared to a other Android tablet (Lenovo IdeaPad A2109) the PB feels more powerful and more responsive (I haven't checked any games as I'm not very interested in it). Thanks again for all the tips.

Mine has never shown anything more than 86 to 87% from new. Works great

The desktop rapid charger is a must buy in my opinion. Should have been shipped with it really

Hope this helps. Enjoy your Playbook, they are pretty good really
    MarkONEuk likes this.
    02-03-13 05:16 PM
    Yes, the desktop charger is a godsend - it really is. I grabbed one from Amazon for �18 last month. It's not lightning fast to charge, but it definitely charges faster than the standard cable, and better yet, it's much kinder on that mini-USB socket.

One other warning from one newbie to another: when plugging your PB into your PC/laptop's USB (e.g. when transferring files), the charge is not sufficient to continue charging your PB (this is normal - the Playbook uses more charge than is given through a regular USB port). I find that the charge is largely maintained when plugged into my PC (unless I thrash it with a game or two), but it won't increase the charge.
    MarkONEuk likes this.
    02-03-13 06:17 PM
    Be careful in plugging in charger into the USB port. It is easy to jam it in wrong side up and thus damage the port. Recommend that you carefully examine the port using a small led flashlight. There are several threads on this forums discussing this problem. A rapid charger is very useful and you would be better off with one if it doesn't hurt your pocket too much. Definitely would get Battery Guru and use it to help assess current state of health of the battery.

You say you hooked it up to the wall charger. Was this the BlackBerry charger that would be supplied with the Playbook?
    I borrowed a bit of Flame Red nail polish from Michelle and put a dot on the top of the connector for easy orientation. No flashlight.

And yes, the USB connector does feel "loose" as it will kind of wiggle side to side a bit, this is normal, albiet you do have to use reasonable care.

You just don't want to start fiddling with the connector if you've had to much Brandy (you know who you are.......). The Charching dock is PERFECT for charging and having a house clock running on the screen in front of your big Plasma. That way you can use the USB for backups and updates only and minimize the risk of the Brandy/charging issue......

C
    02-05-13 09:17 AM