The Waterloo, Ontario, company said it shipped just 6.9 million BlackBerry phones over the past three months, down from 7.4 million a year earlier. RIM said it had 79 million subscribers last quarter, compared to 80 million in the prior quarter, and it shipped only 255,000 PlayBook tablets -- still palty, but twice the number it shipped a year ago.
    Palty? I guess they meant paltry. Probably true compared with Apply et al. But how many do they still have left to sell? Seems like they are releasing them in dribs and drabs.

BTW - shares closed at $13.95 but up another 8% after hours when results were released. Could open at $15.00 tomorrow!

ADDED LATER: (Dropped to $12.65 in after hours trading on Nasdaq )
    Last edited by kwelamnp; 12-20-12 at 09:02 PM.
    12-20-12 05:06 PM
    Palty? I guess they meant paltry. Probably true compared with Apply et al. But how many do they still have left to sell? Seems like they are releasing them in dribs and drabs.

BTW - shares closed at $13.95 but up another 8% after hours when results were released. Could open at $15.00 tomorrow!
    Bring it on.
    12-20-12 05:19 PM
    6.9 million phones shipped but down by 1 million subscribers ... Guess that means RIM lost 7.9 million people (most probably in NA) who switched to Apple or Android. Ouch!
    And 255K Playbooks must hurt also, especially when it is still as good or better spec tablet than the ipad mini, which Apple has said is outselling the 'new ipad' such that they are increasing production for the next quarter.

The BB10 phone is really it for RIM, showing lots of promise so far and it is going to have to be exceptional and above all expectations. Sure hope they can do it!
    12-20-12 08:15 PM

if fire sell only sell 255K, guess they don't have a lot in stock now. Looks like most of left is 32G.
    12-20-12 08:51 PM
    6.9 million phones shipped but down by 1 million subscribers ... Guess that means RIM lost 7.9 million people (most probably in NA) who switched to Apple or Android. Ouch!
    And 255K Playbooks must hurt also, especially when it is still as good or better spec tablet than the ipad mini, which Apple has said is outselling the 'new ipad' such that they are increasing production for the next quarter.

The BB10 phone is really it for RIM, showing lots of promise so far and it is going to have to be exceptional and above all expectations. Sure hope they can do it!
    No it doesnt mean they lost 7.9 million. A lot of those 6.9 could be current users replacing their bb6 phones with bb7 phones etc.
    taz323 likes this.
    12-20-12 08:55 PM
    No it doesnt mean they lost 7.9 million. A lot of those 6.9 could be current users replacing their bb6 phones with bb7 phones etc.
    I guess most of them are but 10% subscribers replaced old phone in one quarter seems too high for me
    12-20-12 09:04 PM

ADDED LATER: (Dropped to $12.65 in after hours trading on Nasdaq )
    maybe they're saving a few for the BB10 launch,,, if it takes off & ppl know they can bridge w/ it, that would be a bit of a windfall,,, how many were made??? given the horrible way the Pbook was launched, i wonder if anyone even knows you can bridge w/ it...
    12-20-12 09:43 PM
    The initial order was for about 1.5 million. So they have gone thru that a couple quarters ago. No clue how many now though
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-20-12 10:34 PM
    As great a device as I think the PlayBook is, these sales figures are terrible compared to the mini ipad, of which now projected to account for nearly half of Apple's multi million holiday tablet sales and the rumor that the 2nd gen mini is already on the way. The PB may be dead, even with a highly successful BB10 phone. Maybe RIM just keeps it for a the business market or if the BB10 UI is a hit and it can be fully implemented on the PB, it may survive on it's own. Seems unlikely though.
    12-20-12 10:40 PM
    iPad still sucks in many ways. Playbook all the way. Does what I need it to, and does it well! All the stores around here are selling out as fast as they get them in. Walmart had 30 this morning and were gone before supper time.

Playbook still is a better experience over an iPad mini made up of old iPad 2 parts..
    12-21-12 12:41 AM