FYI

I just read on News360 an article about this:

"The RIM founders will be replaced by Thorsten Heins, a chief operating officer who joined RIM four years ago from Siemens AG, RIM said."

An clip was available where Thornsten put emphasis on saying that 2.0 will be one time. I trust it is really so.

So dear PlayBook users: there is light on the horizon!
    Last edited by Daruba; 01-24-12 at 11:50 AM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-23-12 05:19 PM
    FYI

"The RIM founders will be replaced by Thorsten Heins, a chief operating officer who joined RIM four years ago from Siemens AG, RIM said."

An clip was available where Thornsten put emphasis on saying that 2.0 will be one time. I trust it is really so.

Yes, here is the link to the clip where he mentions that (see at 6:40):

Meet Thorsten Heins the New President and CEO of Research In Motion - YouTube
    Daruba likes this.
    01-23-12 05:22 PM
    Yea its good news for those of us defining "on time" as a day in February 2012.

Yea, call me a cynic but given rim's track record...

This is an opportunity for Heins to prove he is a different cut from the two bozos stepping down in disgrace.
    01-23-12 05:24 PM
    FYI

But damn this tunnel is still dark where is that light?!!!?!??!???!
    raymond likes this.
    01-23-12 06:20 PM
    you realize if it weren't for "those bozos", we'd all be on some other and lesser tablet huh? 20 years of work to get us this far, give 'em a bit of credit!
    KermEd, SlcCorrado, hpjrt and 16 others like this.
    01-23-12 06:34 PM
    yea no kidding, if they are Bozo's, i would love to be a bozo too...
    01-23-12 06:40 PM
    you realize if it weren't for "those bozos", we'd all be on some other and lesser tablet huh? 20 years of work to get us this far, give 'em a bit of credit!
    I agree. Maybe we ended up a bit frustrated, but it was them who actually made BlackBerry live these years
    01-23-12 06:41 PM
    Not to beat a dead horse but one of those bozos is investing 50 million of personal money into rim. I'd love to be a bozo like that.

It just seems like they held on a little to long to what the company was like instead of seeing what the company could be like. Either way I'm happy with their dedication and the change in leadership.
    Thunderbuck and Spencerdl like this.
    01-23-12 09:10 PM
    I give those two mor0ns as much credit for rim as I give that boat captain that ran that cruise ship aground off the coast of that island near italy.

Not to beat a dead horse but one of those bozos is investing 50 million of personal money into rim. I'd love to be a bozo like that.
    Yea thats right, he did say that didnt he. Then again, those two have been saying a lot of things over the last few years. I wouldnt put too much faith in what that fellow says.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 01-23-12 at 09:22 PM.
    01-23-12 09:20 PM
    If this change didn't happen it's more than likely we wouldn't get 2.0 in February, we'd be lucky to get it in 2012. As mentioned, with a new captain on board there's no doubt 2.0 will be on time. Got to make that good first impression!
    01-23-12 10:12 PM
    What is "on time"? Before the end of February? RIM did not announce actual date yet.

If 2.0 they demoed in CES is close to the final one, I'd say they will be able to keep their promises this time. I guess new CEO knows it's almost done, otherwise he could not have said that. After all, he can't make things work if it isn't working already.
    01-23-12 10:42 PM
    What is "on time"? Before the end of February? RIM did not announce actual date yet.
    That is essentially what I have been warning people about. We have heard February, but it has been vague and in passing commentary almost as if to please the person being spoken to. I want this OS as much as the next person to help make this device move closer to the product we were sold april of last year and further away from the beta box that it is now.
    01-24-12 05:46 AM
    If this change didn't happen it's more than likely we wouldn't get 2.0 in February, we'd be lucky to get it in 2012. As mentioned, with a new captain on board there's no doubt 2.0 will be on time. Got to make that good first impression!
    My thoughts exactly!
    01-24-12 06:34 AM

If 2.0 they demoed in CES is close to the final one, I'd say they will be able to keep their promises this time. I guess new CEO knows it's almost done, otherwise he could not have said that. After all, he can't make things work if it isn't working already.
    The CES version has more features than the one available for the developers to download. So, I would guess that they would have launched in February with or without a change at the top.

What would be beneficial to RIM is to release the BB10 phones ahead of the predict Fall 2012 launch.
    01-24-12 10:12 AM
    Yea its good news for those of us defining "on time" as a day in February 2012.

Yea, call me a cynic but given rim's track record...

This is an opportunity for Heins to prove he is a different cut from the two bozos stepping down in disgrace.
    lol so true tho im ready for 2.0
    01-24-12 10:48 AM
    I will consider the "glass half full".

I guess that the new CEO will try to balance the "short term gain" against the "long term investment".

Consider that this new CEO did not get RIM in tip-top shape. He have to fix many things. All eyes will be on him regarding building up RIM again. I think that the first thing he should do is to keep promises and the second thing is delivering a fairly good product.

He's fairly young and and dynamic to make things happen.
    01-24-12 11:50 AM
    He's fairly young and and dynamic to make things happen.
    The ironic part is, apparently he's about 4 years older (at 54) than the former co-CEOs.

But yes, they're all still "young".

And I say that because it won't be too many years before I'm that young as well. ;-)
    01-24-12 01:04 PM
    well, they said 2.0 is out in February. Feb 28 is still February, wonder if that's the case...
    01-24-12 01:20 PM
    so how will they release this?

will RIM just release 2.0 and say here you go world?

or will they stagger the release by area?

do they have the capacity to have a few million of us start downloading at the same time?

will you guys in canada get the update a few days before me sat here in the uk?
    Bisboxer likes this.
    01-24-12 02:47 PM

do they have the capacity to have a few million of us start downloading at the same time?

will you guys in canada get the update a few days before me sat here in the uk?
    Based on how long the latest developer version took to download, they might not have any choice but to stagger the release.

As for announcing the new version, if I was marketing for RIM, I would highlight the Social Contact book as the new "little black book" and the killer of "normal single site social media".
    01-24-12 04:41 PM
    Unless the new CEO is the world's best software engineer, his appointment won't make diddly squat difference to the new OS launch date.
    01-24-12 05:17 PM

why would they do it any different to their current rollout of all other OS1.x builds? they`ve all been same day worldwide.

their NOC shifts enought data every day to make the download size of OS2 look like a little spec.
    01-24-12 05:19 PM
    Unless the new CEO is the world's best software engineer, his appointment won't make diddly squat difference to the new OS launch date.
    Well, exactly my point. If the new CEO is confident that they will meet the Feb release date, it must be pretty much ready already.
    01-24-12 05:35 PM
    well, they said 2.0 is out in February. Feb 28 is still February, wonder if that's the case...
    Feb 29 is also still February. We should have OS2 by then.
    01-24-12 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD