A very positive reaction to Playbook OS 2.0.

RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook 2.0 software update has been a long time in coming; the first we heard about the possibility of support for Android apps was nine months ago. But from my early look, the update was not only worth the wait, but also may be what RIM needs to make its 7-inch PlayBook tablet more competitive and desirable

read the full article here:RIM Improves BlackBerry PlayBook With 2.0 Upgrade: Hands-On | PCWorld Business Center

Much better than the doom and gloom press coverage we've been getting as of late.
    01-10-12 08:40 PM
    Very detailed review and the writer seemed impressed. Such a nice change!
    01-10-12 09:02 PM
    This is really good news. I am so glad that os2.0 is getting such good reviews because it bodes well for bb10 and will hopefully increase consumer confidence, which means an increase in rim stock if rim plays their cards right. Can't wait for QNX phones to come out. We are rooting for you!
    01-10-12 10:15 PM
    good article. glad to see the playbook get its proper due, late or not. the fact its still one if the best tablets to date makes me realize that all tablets have issues. hope the software development really picks. looking forward to it.
    01-10-12 10:36 PM
    Great article from PC World. I was honestly expecting more RIM bashing from them when I saw the article drop. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.
    01-10-12 10:52 PM
    Wow, I am honestly suprised that the article is as positive as it is. I had expected the typical "ya but its a Blackberry product so...well...you know...." garbage as is typical of any media comment of Blackberry of late.
    01-11-12 12:06 AM
    Just more awesomeness- the fact that even the tech press sees the awesomeness is, in a word... awesome.

Better grab those playbooks before the price goes up to what this is worth!

and.. if you're a wise gambler like me... buy stock! ticker RIMM
    I am doubling down baby.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 12:18 AM.
    01-11-12 12:16 AM
    And don't forget to leave comments on that article at PC World site. Let the author know you appreciate the fair treatment of the OS refresh.
    01-11-12 12:24 AM
    Just more awesomeness- the fact that even the tech press sees the awesomeness is, in a word... awesome.

I am doubling down baby.
    Yup, I can't imagine RIMM stock going any further down after the excitement PB 2.0 is going to generate. Not to mention, the compelling reasons to couple a PB with a BB or vice versa.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-11-12 12:47 AM
    That is a very positive review. Its hard to grasp all the improvements and additional functionality. The future of the playbook looks very bright as it out paces the competition. Now they need to market it properly.
    01-11-12 06:33 AM
    What... the totally bias and Apple bought press actually gave the PB a good review.... Funny how everybody was trashing their negative review before but now accept the positive review for what it is worth. It is a much better product with 2.0 and it WAS a pretty lame excuse for a tablet upon release and prior to 2.0. I think the press got it right both times.

Just hope this helps calm the tin foil hat conspiracy theories that often effect the fanboys.
    01-11-12 07:25 AM
    Another one manages to fly his way into the proverbial ointment.
    01-11-12 07:28 AM

I am doubling down baby.
    Less than a 1 cent move up on the news yesterday. Opened up 20 cents and closed less than a cent up. Up a whopping .01 this morning in pre-market. Glad to see the PB getting a great update, but I don't think its a big reason to decide to buy RIMM. Many (including I believe yourself) bought in the $19 range and still need 20% gain just to get back to even. Those who bought in the 60s, 50s, 40s,30s and 20's need A LOT more. Those who bought a year ago at $70 will likely never get back to even.
    01-11-12 07:32 AM
    Less than a 1 cent move up on the news yesterday. Opened up 20 cents and closed less than a cent up. Up a whopping .01 this morning in pre-market. Glad to see the PB getting a great update, but I don't think its a big reason to decide to buy RIMM. Many (including I believe yourself) bought in the $19 range and still need 20% gain just to get back to even. Those who bought in the 60s, 50s, 40s,30s and 20's need A LOT more. Those who bought a year ago at $70 will likely never get back to even.
    And that is the chance you take buying individual stocks. You never do it expecting it to be low risk, it is always a high risk move.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-11-12 07:38 AM
    In the PC World review, kept mentioning that keyboard control will be possible from a "touchscreen blackberry phone". Anyone have any idea as to which BB phones/OS would be able to use this feature (I'm using a BB 9650/OS 6)?
    01-11-12 07:42 AM
    In the PC World review, kept mentioning that keyboard control will be possible from a "touchscreen blackberry phone". Anyone have any idea as to which BB phones/OS would be able to use this feature (I'm using a BB 9650/OS 6)?
    I hope this is not the case. I personally don't want to have to use a touch screen phone. Damn things do enough but dialing as it is. I just got a Curve 3G not that long ago and would rather wait another year or so for a BBX Curve equivalent that still has the excellent BB querty key pad.
    01-11-12 08:38 AM
    The 9900 has the single best BlackBerry keyboard ever produced (at least by general, and my, opinion). It is also a touchscreen.

However, i do believe in the official RIM video they made mention of using the trackpad as well.
    01-11-12 08:40 AM
    Earthquakes and the market - hard to predict, too many variables. But, there are many moves RIM could make now, including announcing the end of Playbook, that might boost the company price. I'm getting ready to buy in at this price. My plan for today - take a good look at this one. Have to decide before noon.
    Down 1.5% in early trading... trading below CES announcement prices... you might want to wait....
    01-11-12 08:43 AM
    And that is the chance you take buying individual stocks. You never do it expecting it to be low risk, it is always a high risk move.
    Very true. I don't think RIMM is a bad gamble at this point, but it is a gamble.
    01-11-12 08:45 AM
    It said somewhere that all BB touch screen phones with OS5+ will support it.
    01-11-12 08:48 AM
    If they keyboard works then there isnt a reason the trackpad shouldnt. I will have to see if I can find the video.

Update: Check the CB.com video at 2:50 or so he starts using the trackpad to make the virtual mouse on the Playbook move.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 01-11-12 at 08:59 AM.
    01-11-12 08:53 AM
    Down 1.5% in early trading... trading below CES announcement prices... you might want to wait....
    Actually I am glad you are adding a little reason to help fight a possible wave of irrationality. If only the disappointments generated by the playbook caused a plummet from the 70's range, then these announcements may have indicated a possible bottom (but you already mentioned a 1.5% drop so...)

The down pressure on ticker rimm started over a year before the playbook was announced. You have a huge investing community sector, besides, who read those announcements and said "another promise RIM, so what?". I would caution about hopping onto rimm stock thinking "it cant go any lower". Never ever say that. Short term the market is a gamble, nuerotic, unpredictable. The only positive side is the stock is so cheap that losses will be less if it declines further given the same number of shares.

Watch what happens this q4 should the 1 qnx phone that is suppose to come out gets "delayed" to q1 2013. And i bet it is a high likelyhood.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 01-11-12 at 09:10 AM.
    01-11-12 09:06 AM
    Actually I am glad you are adding a little reason to help fight a possible wave of irrationality. If only the disappointments generated by the playbook caused a plummet from the 70's range, then these announcements may have indicated a possible bottom (but you already mentioned a 1.5% drop so...)

The down pressure on ticker rimm started over a year before the playbook was announced. You have a huge investing community sector, besides, who read those announcements and said "another promise RIM, so what?". I would caution bout hopping onto rimm stock thinking "it cant go any lower". Never ever say that. Short term the market is a gamble, nuerotic, unpredictable. The only positive side is the stock is so cheap that losses will be less if it declines further given the same number of shares.

Watch what happens this q4 should the 1 qnx phone that is suppose to come out gets "delayed" to q1 2013. And i bet it is a high likelyhood.
    if rim delays the qnx phone then man the stock market will punish their stock price.
    01-11-12 09:37 AM
    Very true. I don't think RIMM is a bad gamble at this point, but it is a gamble.
    Short term yes, but it may be a good move to buy some and hope for long term gains. 2012 may be a good year for RIM (keeping fingers crossed).
    01-11-12 10:05 AM
    Yup, I can't imagine RIMM stock going any further down after the excitement PB 2.0 is going to generate. Not to mention, the compelling reasons to couple a PB with a BB or vice versa.

The reviews are good, it's still a matter of waiting to see what happens with the CEO situation.

And, (in my classic Tony Montana from Scarface accent) the fact RIM needs to move their product.

The need to get that update out on time.

Any delay would take away any momentum they gain from good reviews.
    01-11-12 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD