Edit: As noted below, the default GMail setup will sync Calendar and Contacts - just configure under the advance settings.

I love my Gmail yes I do, and this is how to configure it to work with Activesync on the playbook with 2.0. This pulls Mail, Contacts and Calendar.

Tap Settings on the Home screen
    Tap on the Accounts
    Tap Add New Account
    Tap eMail, Contacts, Calendars
    Tap Advance Setup
    Choose Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    Enter "m.google.com" under Doman
    Enter your Gmail address under Email and Username
    Enter "m.google.com" (not including the quotation marks) under Domain
    Tap your full Gmail address under Username
    Enter your Google Calendar password under Password
    Enter "m.google.com" under Server
    Tap Continue

Select what to sync and how often and time-frame.

Done!
    Last edited by pinkert11; 02-21-12 at 09:32 AM.
    02-21-12 09:09 AM
    Why not use the GMail setup option?
    02-21-12 09:21 AM
    Why not use the GMail setup option?
    The GMail setup option does not sync the Contacts and Calendar just email.

Seems like hotmail automatically sets up as an ActiveSync account
    Last edited by pinkert11; 02-21-12 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Update
    02-21-12 09:23 AM
    Not true. Mine did.
    d3adcrab and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-21-12 09:26 AM
    Yes it does... under advanced settings.
    02-21-12 09:27 AM
    Ok, I deleted and re-setup and it is now, but at first this-morning I was only getting email.
    02-21-12 09:31 AM
    Matt, In a different thread ou posted:

Strange. My g-mail is spotty (sometimes it comes in) and my google calendar is non-existent.

This sucks.

Try my set-up and see if that works better for you.
    02-21-12 09:37 AM
    Matt, In a different thread ou posted:

Strange. My g-mail is spotty (sometimes it comes in) and my google calendar is non-existent.

This sucks.

Try my set-up and see if that works better for you.
    I already tried. No luck.
    02-21-12 09:39 AM
    I user google apps which uses the same settings as gmail. My contacts & calendars synces with no issue... Now did take a while for the initial sync to coMplete, but it did / does work...
    02-21-12 09:42 AM
    Is it possible it synced your "primary" calendar?

I just noticed that it syncs only one calendar, which saddens me as I have multiple ones, all displayed at once
    02-21-12 09:43 AM
    Is it possible it synced your "primary" calendar?

I just noticed that it syncs only one calendar, which saddens me as I have multiple ones, all displayed at once
    I only have one calendar..... the strange thing is that it does sync a few scattered entries.... no rationale behind it....
    02-21-12 09:44 AM
    I had to input Gmail twice. Once under messages and once under contacts and it's doing both but I see under contacts it using the active sync settings you mentioned. Can't do email when bridged. I guess it knows fool you must have a bb phone earlier close by or you wouldn't be bridging.
    02-21-12 09:48 AM
    My messages app is only showing SENT email from GMAIL. No incoming messages.
    02-21-12 09:58 AM
    My messages app is only showing SENT email from GMAIL. No incoming messages.
    I am sending this from my PB which I just received your reply via Gmail on my PB. I would say check your incoming server setting on your Gmail account or do lime the above said and delete it and reconfigure per the above instructions. Mine is set to pop emailand is working OK. I cannot get a connection to my email when I am only connected via bridge. I guess the its smart enough to know that there's a bb phone present for email. I love this thing. Home Run for rim
    02-21-12 10:05 AM
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd chime in. I was seeing the same behavior as Matt--one random event synced. I followed the OP's instructions, however, and now, when I have the calendar _open_, I see a periodic message in the lower right, "Syncing," and events are showing up in my calendar gradually. I'd check this out with the default Gmail setup option, but I'm lazy.

Thanks very much!
    John Francis
    02-21-12 10:13 AM
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd chime in. I was seeing the same behavior as Matt--one random event synced. I followed the OP's instructions, however, and now, when I have the calendar _open_, I see a periodic message in the lower right, "Syncing," and events are showing up in my calendar gradually. I'd check this out with the default Gmail setup option, but I'm lazy.

Thanks very much!
    John Francis
    How long did it take events to start showing up? It has been 4 hours....
    02-21-12 10:16 AM
    :::

Therefore, Using [GMail Setup] or [Exchange manual Setup] is Better?
    Or Both should work (Mail, Cal, Contact)...? So Confuse....

:::
    02-21-12 10:53 AM
    The problem that I run into is that in Gmail if your contacts are grouped by personal, business, etc. they will not sync with your PB. Only if your contacts are in the My Contacts container in Gmail. Hopefully this gets addressed in the next update.
    02-21-12 11:00 AM
    Yes, pinkert11, that's the way it is supposed to work, and actually does work for some people. The reason you will get interesting feedback is that it doesn't work that way for Gmail, but always works that way for hotmail. Why? Who knows.

I have 2 Playbooks. It took me around 11 tries to get a Gmail account to add with Contacts and Calendar included. The first 10 times it only gave me email. There was no pattern and no combination of "simple" and "advanced" attempts to set it up.

I also spent about 90 minutes on 4 separate calls to Playbook Support. They answered the phone quickly but had only the skills to ask if the Playbook was attached to the internet !! And their second level support was so swamped they couldn't connect me with an expert. Also, their phone system was overloaded, terminating 2 of the 4 calls in the middle.

I've tried adding a Gmail account to my second Playbook, but I guess I'm not up to 11 tries yet.

My hypothesis is that when the Playbook goes to Gmail to find out what features are supported (via m.google.com or whatever), it either times out or has a bug resulting in setting up only email. After many tries, the Playbook actually determines that Calendar and Contacts are also supported and then the Playbook displays the screen showing the 3 sliders for Sync. Otherwise, no screen is displayed and you get email only.

It is unfortunate that RIM in trying to make it super-easy for someone to create an account have, for now, got a flawed mechanism to automate it, and I have found no detailed mechanism or instructions (yet) to enter everything manually to force the Playbook to enable Calendar and Contact sync.

A
    02-22-12 12:57 PM
    Allan, Did you try to setup the activesync direct as opposed to simply using the gmail setup? I have a few pims and emails from people where this seemed to force the calendar and contacts to sync.

1. Tap Settings on the Home screen
    2. Tap on the Accounts
    3. Tap Add New Account
    4. Tap eMail, Contacts, Calendars
    5. Tap Advance Setup
    6. Choose Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    7. Enter "m.google.com" under Doman
    8. Enter your Gmail address under Email and Username
    9. Enter "m.google.com" (not including the quotation marks) under Domain
    10. Tap your full Gmail address under Username
    11. Enter your Google Calendar password under Password
    12. Enter "m.google.com" under Server
    13. Tap Continue
    14. Select what to sync and how often and time-frame.
    02-22-12 01:36 PM
    Someone mentioned that gmail consolidates addresses into ONE line, combining street,city/zip, etc into one line making it hard to use the contact for gps uses.
    02-22-12 03:06 PM
    I've tried the 14 steps.

After Step 13 i got back to the VERY familiar "Your login information for account ([email protected]) has changed or is incorrect. update your login information and try again."

I had this problem many times and had to do hard resets between each attempt to add each Gmail and my other accounts, LinkedIn and Facebook while on the Playbook Support call. I tried the hard resett this time and got the same result the second time.

So I'm back to calling RIM Playbook Support for a fifth time. My curiosity exceeds my frustration, for now....

Stay tuned....
    Last edited by Allan-Vancouver; 02-22-12 at 06:53 PM.
    02-22-12 05:50 PM
    I'm facing the opposite problem: using the standard Gmail setup, my calendar and contacts synched ok. Also email got synched yesterday, sometimes with a 15 minutes delay, but hey, its not BIS nor BES, so this is OK. Since today morning, no more email synch happens. Waiting for hours now, manual refresh doesn't show any new emails which have arrived in my account hours ago (and seconds later on my 9900 of course).
    RIM this is bad: one of the main OS2 features, native email/calendar/contacts seems to have serious issues with Gmail for many users. You better fix this very quickly.

P.S.I'm soooo tired from patiently waiting for months for something that then doesn't really deliver.....not really in the mood for further trial & error. I'm tempted to leave this platform forever.
    02-23-12 06:07 AM
    Yes, pinkert11, that's the way it is supposed to work, and actually does work for some people. The reason you will get interesting feedback is that it doesn't work that way for Gmail, but always works that way for hotmail. Why? Who knows.

I have 2 Playbooks. It took me around 11 tries to get a Gmail account to add with Contacts and Calendar included. The first 10 times it only gave me email. There was no pattern and no combination of "simple" and "advanced" attempts to set it up.

I also spent about 90 minutes on 4 separate calls to Playbook Support. They answered the phone quickly but had only the skills to ask if the Playbook was attached to the internet !! And their second level support was so swamped they couldn't connect me with an expert. Also, their phone system was overloaded, terminating 2 of the 4 calls in the middle.

I've tried adding a Gmail account to my second Playbook, but I guess I'm not up to 11 tries yet.

My hypothesis is that when the Playbook goes to Gmail to find out what features are supported (via m.google.com or whatever), it either times out or has a bug resulting in setting up only email. After many tries, the Playbook actually determines that Calendar and Contacts are also supported and then the Playbook displays the screen showing the 3 sliders for Sync. Otherwise, no screen is displayed and you get email only.

It is unfortunate that RIM in trying to make it super-easy for someone to create an account have, for now, got a flawed mechanism to automate it, and I have found no detailed mechanism or instructions (yet) to enter everything manually to force the Playbook to enable Calendar and Contact sync.

A
    I found the cause of my missing Gmail Calendar and Contacts problem on my own. It is an interesting quirk of Gmail IDs. I have always used either of the two methods of signing onto Gmail interchangeably: One is to use the full Gmail account ID, I.e., "[email protected]". Notice the "dot" between the parts. Gmail access via a browser also accepts "[email protected]" WITHOUT the "dot". The Playbook, however, assumes you want ALL the capability of Gmail including Contacts and Calendar, and I think these functions run on different Google servers and that the Calendar and Contacts function only accepts the "real" Gmail account ID. Apparently the Email function at Google is OK with the alternate form of the ID but the other functions are not, so for me, all I could ever get is email activated on the Playbook when using the "no-dot" ID. I have tested adding Gmail accounts using both methods alternatively, and the ID with the dot always gives me all three functions, and creating without the dot always enables only email. I will be confirming the details of my assumptions with Playbook Support after they review the new logs of the two types of account setup for Gmail that I have sent them. Hopefully this helps others who have had the same "no calendar or contacts" problem.
    02-23-12 08:58 PM
    I've tried the 14 steps.

After Step 13 i got back to the VERY familiar "Your login information for account ([email protected]) has changed or is incorrect. update your login information and try again."
    ditto, ditto, ditto
    very frustrating
    02-24-12 10:54 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD