16GB Playbook Discontinued in Canada
I just saw an email from RIM ...
"... moving forward, RIM will only be offering the 32GB and 64GB models of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet."
"We continue to remain committed to the tablet space and the 32 GB and 64 GB models of the BlackBerry PlayBook continue to offer great value to our customers."
Last edited by ubermanx; 06-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.7100t -> 7230 -> 7290 -> 8700r -> 8310 -> 8900 -> 8520 -> 9800 -> 9810 -> 9900 -> Z10 & Playbook (64gb)
- 06-05-2012, 04:46 PM #5
Anyone else get this email?@_Miche11e_
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your effing smartphone.
"Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence." - Pythagoras
- CrackBerry Genius
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM #6
- 3,213 Posts
I call bovine meadow muffins; pics or it never happened.If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher...if it's in English, Thank a Soldier
We etch these names in granite to stand against time so we and our children can learn and remember.
- 06-05-2012, 07:53 PM #10
The 16gb is the cheapest therefore probably purchased the most. They only made so many. Is it possible the 16gb are about sold out? They haven't manufactured more since the initial run have they?Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
the 50K CrackBerry challenge
Personal info redacted ... but screenshot as requested.
7100t -> 7230 -> 7290 -> 8700r -> 8310 -> 8900 -> 8520 -> 9800 -> 9810 -> 9900 -> Z10 & Playbook (64gb)
- CrackBerry Abuser
06-05-2012, 09:34 PM #12This message was most likely posted from my PlayBook LTE, or my White Zed 10, or perhaps my HP laptop on my 10's wifi hotspot. Point is, BlackBerry played a part in this message!!
- 214 Posts
I am taking this to mean stocks are low and they have no intention of making more.
Now are they making more 32GB and 64GB models or are stocks of them just significantly higher?
Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
- 06-05-2012, 10:17 PM #16
1. They have to keep enough of every model for quick turnaround on RMA swaps. Since there is a higher percentage of 16GB sold, they have to reserve enough.
2. If we are close to 4G launch, then the need for tooling up more 16's is going to be adjusted.
3. If the price of RAM keeps dropping, price point to sell off the more capable models has to drop too - particularly given what the competition is likely to do, RIM has to distinguish it's offerings even more.
4. Finally, will 16GB be enough for all the swapping that Android app multitasking will take?
06-06-2012, 03:12 AM #19
- 5,625 Posts
- Hey, what did you expect ?
- Align marketing : done
- Recruit developers : done
- Restructure company : done
- Restructure device range : done (?)
Hum, Heins' to-do ticked list is growing. Good.
- CrackBerry Addict
06-06-2012, 05:58 AM #20
- 839 Posts
A friend called The Source Sunday to price playbooks and they said the 16gb was 148. Not sure if that included our 10% Bell employee discount or not. Maybe they're clearing them out?
Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the Tapatalk Crackberry app.
So in theory there could be upwards of 1000 16GB Playbooks still in the system for sale ...7100t -> 7230 -> 7290 -> 8700r -> 8310 -> 8900 -> 8520 -> 9800 -> 9810 -> 9900 -> Z10 & Playbook (64gb)
- 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM #23
Didn't RIM stop production of them a long time ago? All of them.
Last edited by kbz1960; 06-06-2012 at 09:57 AM.Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
the 50K CrackBerry challenge
- 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM #25I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011.