Hi guys,

unfortunately no UK store can get a 32GB PB to me, and the prices are going up from tonight. So I have an option to order an in-stock 16GB playbook from Curry's/PC World for �169.

However, is 16GB really enough? How much room does the OS take up (bearing in mind OS2.0 is more feature heavy.) I'll be using it for mainly storing lecture slides and notes, using it as a memo, holding work, installing useful apps. How much room do the big decent apps take up?

I'll continue to use my iPod for music and I'm not the sort of person to want to store videos on the PB. I'll probably regularly transfer work to a portable harddrive through my laptop.

Any advice is appreciated,

Jonny.
    01-10-12 12:02 PM
    That should be plenty then. I have a 16GB, with video's, and Def Leppard's complete discography (plus a bit of ACDC and The Black Keys), and still manage to fit apps and doc's on. And the beta of 2.0.

Personally, I would go for the 32GB anyway, but if you are not storing video's and music, I think 16GB is not going to be a huge problem.
    01-10-12 12:10 PM
    It might be enough. I have had my 16GB only a few weeks now but I have never yet filled it up. I have 8 or 9 games on it as well as various other apps and several episodes of Game Of Thrones and I still have 5 Gb free. If you are not doing a lot of video or massive data files, it will probably be enough.
    Add to that the fact that more ram eats more power and I would say 16GB is the way to go.
    01-10-12 12:12 PM
    Yeah, I wanted the 32gig but nowhere is available for delivery, it's too late for a store transfer and the prices go up! haha!

Okay, I was tihnking the 16gb should be okay. Any other opinions welcome!

Does anybody know if bridge for OS6 phones is as good as for OS7 phones, with the new OS2 features?

Jonny
    01-10-12 12:13 PM
    My 16 gig pb is fine for my needs, i have an mp3 player for my music and only use the pb for a movie or two and a few music videos, i mainly use my pb for web surfing and email via gmail.....for me the 16 gig is all i need, i still have 10 gig left.
    01-10-12 12:14 PM
    16GB is not enough. Get 32 or 64. My kids 16gb quickly filled with movies and games. have to delete movies and reload new ones every week. Just get a 64gb same price as the 16gb. order it on blackberry site
    01-10-12 12:39 PM
    16GB is not enough. Get 32 or 64. My kids 16gb quickly filled with movies and games. have to delete movies and reload new ones every week. Just get a 64gb same price as the 16gb. order it on blackberry site
    The OP is in the UK, i dont think the prices are the same over there.
    01-10-12 12:52 PM
    Smiley88 - don't think you read my post at all, and that deal is not true if ordering from the UK.

I've ordered a 16GB playbook delivered for �169 which seems a complete steal. Hopefully I find it useful and OS2.0 is great!
    01-10-12 12:55 PM
    Smiley88 - don't think you read my post at all, and that deal is not true if ordering from the UK.

I've ordered a 16GB playbook delivered for �169 which seems a complete steal. Hopefully I find it useful and OS2.0 is great!
    I would grab the 169 quid Playbook, you will love it, mine has almost replaced my macbook, and when OS 2.0 comes along i think it will.
    01-10-12 12:59 PM
    Hi guys,

unfortunately no UK store can get a 32GB PB to me, and the prices are going up from tonight. So I have an option to order an in-stock 16GB playbook from Curry's/PC World for �169.

However, is 16GB really enough? How much room does the OS take up (bearing in mind OS2.0 is more feature heavy.) I'll be using it for mainly storing lecture slides and notes, using it as a memo, holding work, installing useful apps. How much room do the big decent apps take up?

I'll continue to use my iPod for music and I'm not the sort of person to want to store videos on the PB. I'll probably regularly transfer work to a portable harddrive through my laptop.

Jonny.
    I find 16 inches is not enough for me. I need 64 inches. OkOk..couldnt help myself but 16 gigs is not enough if you plan to keep a catalog of videos, pictures, files etc. For example I have Sherlock Holmes, Fast Five, Occupant, Columbiana, Appollo 18, Kung Fu Panda, whole second season of Boondocks, 148 photos, 72 apps and 48 music files and I have 3.5 gb left.
    gschep likes this.
    01-10-12 01:06 PM
    I think you will be fine with a 16gb model. I was initially worried that a 16gb wouldn't be enough, but not any more. As long as you don't plan on storing a lot of media on it, which you said you won't. I have 40 apps on my 16 gb and I still have over 10.5gb free. I recently picked up a 32gb micro sd for my 9930 as that's where I prefer to keep my music.
    cogsinister likes this.
    01-10-12 01:39 PM
    I've got a Blackberry 16gb (from PC World earlier this week) and put some 44 albums on it and still have 6gb left. If I get bored of those I'll swap them for others!

Must say its a fab machine - VERY pleased I got it.

Enjoy it when it arrives
    01-10-12 02:07 PM
    If you're just using productivity apps and maybe a handful of games or movies, 16GB is lots.

If you're using masses of music, videos (including those you may record yourself, since the video recording is so good on this), or lots of the big games, or any other case where you plan to have lots of media on it, then get 32GB or 64GB.

Remember that with the 16GB, you really get only 11GB for yourself. With 32GB you get about 27GB, and with 64GB you'd get 59GB. So that's 2.5x as much space with the 32GB, and 5.4x as much with the 64GB. Consider that when you compare prices.
    01-10-12 02:13 PM
    I just got a 16GB. Roughly, how big will the update be for 2.0? Just curios.
    01-10-12 02:33 PM
    If you're just using productivity apps and maybe a handful of games or movies, 16GB is lots.

If you're using masses of music, videos (including those you may record yourself, since the video recording is so good on this), or lots of the big games, or any other case where you plan to have lots of media on it, then get 32GB or 64GB.

Remember that with the 16GB, you really get only 11GB for yourself. With 32GB you get about 27GB, and with 64GB you'd get 59GB. So that's 2.5x as much space with the 32GB, and 5.4x as much with the 64GB. Consider that when you compare prices.
    My point here is less relevant now in many markets where RIM's increasingly desperate fire sales have led to some "interesting" pricings (eg all models for $299 so 64 GB is the obvious choice), but RIM's costs are very similar between the 3 models. If you wanted the best bang per buck in terms of the ratio of your cost to buy versus RIM's cost to supply, the 16 GB was the obvious choice. All of RIM's costs, except a very minimal difference for RAM for the addition of 16 or 48 GB of storage, are exactly the same.

Paying eg an extra hundred bucks for each increment progressively shifted the advantage to RIM.

Old prices, (April 2011 bill of materials estimate for the PlayBook) but if anything, the difference should have decreased over time since *generally*, memory prices decrease over time. Regardless, these prices should demonstrate the effect which I am referring to.

Flash Memory (Toshiba NAND flash)
    $18 for 16GB
    $33 for 32 GB
    $63 for 64 GB

IMHO, the best deal *yet* has been (still available in some markets eg Sprint, very recently anyway) the $199 16 GB PlayBook. Your usage and mileage may vary of course.

This also highlights the fact that RIM is losing the least on their 64 GB models at present, at least in the full on fire sale markets. In fact, if parts and manufacturing alone were RIM's only costs (and they are not, not by a long shot), RIM would actually make a slight profit from the 64 GB models at $299.
    01-10-12 03:08 PM
    If you wanted the best bang per buck in terms of the ratio of your cost to buy versus RIM's cost to supply, the 16 GB was the obvious choice.
    That would be a pretty irrational way to judge whether something was worth buying, in my opinion.

I would think deciding based on the value something has to you, rather than on how much it cost someone else to produce it, makes a bit more sense. Maybe it's just me...
    01-10-12 03:43 PM
    I bought the 16 GB and owned it for 6 hours, Never opened it when I read a
    post on Crackberry which at the time was just 16gig all day long. The poster
    said why are you guys overlooking the 32 fo 50 bucks more. On thee way home
    from work I swapped it for the last 32 in stock and a guy was standing there bummed
    because they were out of the 16. I said here you go my man hand delivered.
    Stupid story I know but the point is step up once in awhile.
    Moral is you never know... now the 64 is right. Sometime you just can't get the timing right,
    but when its in front of your face just do it.
    Last edited by Betmen; 01-10-12 at 04:28 PM.
    01-10-12 04:26 PM
    That would be a pretty irrational way to judge whether something was worth buying, in my opinion.

I would think deciding based on the value something has to you, rather than on how much it cost someone else to produce it, makes a bit more sense. Maybe it's just me...
    You must have missed the part in my post that you responded to where I clearly state:

"IMHO, the best deal *yet* has been (still available in some markets eg Sprint, very recently anyway) the $199 16 GB PlayBook.
    *****Your usage and mileage may vary of course.*****."

Slow down and read the whole post before attempting to formulate a cogent response.
    01-10-12 04:50 PM
    I wonder how the native email/calander will play into this. I struggle all day to keep my outlook able to send emails at work and tend to keep unneccessary stuff in my inbox at home. I own a 16GB PB right now, might upgrade to a 32GB one later and hand this one off to the GF if I run into space issue.

OS2.0 is looking bloody marvelous!!!
    01-10-12 04:59 PM
    Thanks for people's input. I'm sure for my needs 16GB is going to be enough, I will have zero movies stored on it it's not my thing and music will be on my iPod.

I ordered 16GB for �169 and today the cheapest you can buy one for is �249, so I'm happy!
    cogsinister likes this.
    01-11-12 08:15 AM
    i have a 16 gb version and its completely enough. it goes like this when i finish a movie i delete it why would i keep it on my device and when i finish the level and waves i also delete it since there is no use of playing the game and also i will he able to save money. believe it or not it is completely enough, people just buy the 32 gb version or something just if they need it for buissness and other people buy it if they want to keep movies on it which is smthing stupid
    01-14-12 09:24 AM
    I store a lot of videos and have used up all but 3.5 GB. But for this isn't an issue because I only store TV shows or movies and once I'm done with them, delete and store new ones.

If you want to save some money, and don't really care about transferring new music/videos every now and then, then definitely go with 16 GB. I currently have Homeland S1, Walking Dead S1 and Parks and Rec S1/S2.

The leftover space is plenty for music, documents, apps etc.
    01-14-12 11:27 AM
    Hi guys,

Jonny.
    OK here's the deal. Videos are by far the only file types that are going to hog storage. documents, ebooks, apps, games etc use very little space. I have 6 games, and hundreds of ebooks and a healthy selection of apps and I still have about 10 gigs to spare, which leaves me enough room for a truck load of 300-500 MB TV shows, quite a few 500-700 MB .avi movies or about 7-10 720p HD ripped movies which are usually around 1GB.

I have a LOT of movies. So many that they would fill up a 64GB playbook and still need another 500 GB to fit them all, so whether 16 or 64 makes no difference.

My phone has (and always will in the future!) a slot for micro SD because I'd rather have re-usable storage than storage that depend son a device I may trade in a year. I can xfer files between it and my PB all the time. So there's another 32GB on top of my PB.

Here's where you are going to run into trouble - if you're the type of person that wants literally thousands of songs on your PB along with all the stuff listed above, and you want tons of movies stored on your PB at all times, then you should get as high a model as you can. If you don't need that, then you can swap out movies as you need them and easily go with a 16.

Remember you have new options now. There are a lot of wireless storage devices hitting the shelves that will allow you to carry 500GB+ with you for any extended trip away from home, and you can use them for everything, not just your PB. For me the 16GB was a no brainer because it picked it up for $200 and the way the tablet market is picking up speed, I can pick up another newer more featured tablet in 6 months for another measly $200 and not feel committed to my previous purchase.

I remain unconvinced about high storage tablets until file formats for video files change to an entirely new format that takes 2GB and more, and that's not going to happen for at least a couple more years. The most common right now are .avi and those are running anywhere from 300MB to 1.5 GB
    01-14-12 11:28 AM
    I found this thread really helpful.
    I picked up a 16gb Playbook just before Christmas, in the UK price slash.

It has been of concern to me that the 16gb version would be enough for me. But with no intention to store a mass amount media on the Playbook my fears have been reduced.
    Document storage and productivity is my thing.

Thanks for your help guys.

Elduque...
    01-14-12 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD