The BlackBerry PlayBook has reportedly sold out in India. With retailersIngram and Redington saying they�ve sold 12,000 PlayBooks in 4 days.�This limited festive offer has propelled a huge surge in PlayBook purchases in the last few days. We have sold over 12,000 PlayBooks across the country within these four days of the offer period, which ended on December 31, 2011,� said both distributors.

Due to the surge in sales, RIM looks to extend the sale in India by another week.�We are pleased to see the excitement and overwhelming response to our limited festive season offer on BlackBerry PlayBook. I believe that the 16-GB and 32-GB version of the PlayBook is completely sold out in the retail channels,� said RIM India Managing Director Sunil Dutt. ��BlackBerry continues to be an aspirational brand and we have seen a huge uptake in the market across the country for PlayBook during this offer period.�

RIM slashed the PlayBook�s price by more than 50% around many parts of the world. In India, the PlayBook went fromits regular price of Rs 27,990 to Rs 13,490.Prices for 32GB and 64GB versions now cost Rs 15,990 and Rs 24,490, respectively. If you�re interested in a PlayBook, be on the look out as RIM should be sending more supply to retailers in India this week

source n4bb.com

This just proves that emerging markets count. Rim adds userbase around the world. even with its temporary troubles in the us.
    peter9477 and cbvinh like this.
    01-04-12 12:24 PM
    How many BlackBerry PlayBooks did Research In Motion manufacture and how many remain in warehouses? With all these sales the entire original inventory remaining must be near zero. The "Trailer Park Boys" need to make a public announcement with hard sales and inventory numbers.
    01-04-12 12:31 PM
    How many BlackBerry PlayBooks did Research In Motion manufacture and how many remain in warehouses? With all these sales the entire original inventory remaining must be near zero. The "Trailer Park Boys" need to make a public announcement with hard sales and inventory numbers.
    On one of the other threads a number of people were reporting they had bought dec 2011 built 16g pb's. With the world wide discount sales the early build 32 and 64 inventories must be low.
    01-04-12 12:46 PM
    This just proves that emerging markets count. Rim adds userbase around the world. even with its temporary troubles in the us.
    And a $41 dollar tablet from India has sold 1.4 million tablets in just two weeks. $41 Tablet From India Has 1.4 Million Orders In Two Weeks
    01-04-12 12:54 PM
    If they keep the promotions going, it may still take them until after the release of 2.0 to completely use up the original production run(s), assuming the 1.5M number was close to accurate. That would make the year-end earnings report the right time to discuss this, assuming they don't want to make any noise about it in any earlier venue.
    01-04-12 01:03 PM
    On one of the other threads a number of people were reporting they had bought dec 2011 built 16g pb's. With the world wide discount sales the early build 32 and 64 inventories must be low.
    I missed this... how does anyone believe they know when their PlayBook was manufactured? I've seen no signs of a reliable date code.
    01-04-12 01:05 PM
    I missed this... how does anyone believe they know when their PlayBook was manufactured? I've seen no signs of a reliable date code.
    On the side of the box that your PB came in there is a code that tells you.

Mine = 1105 11 right under where it says accessories made in China.

1105 11 (DDMM YY) = 05/11/2011
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-04-12 01:13 PM
    That 1.5 Mil has to be sold out or close by now - according to a poll taken in Crackberry of crackberry playbook owners- there were more sold in November than upon release. If in September it was 700 -800 K then that was only half the sales buy now. And that does not even include December sales.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...revote-674246/
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-04-12 at 01:19 PM.
    01-04-12 01:16 PM
    Peter,
    Take a look at your original box and at the sku section, under made in china, you will find the date: ddmmyy. My date is 030311.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-04-12 01:17 PM
    And a $41 dollar tablet from India has sold 1.4 million tablets in just two weeks. $41 Tablet From India Has 1.4 Million Orders In Two Weeks
    That tablet is the creation of another Canadian based company (Montreal) called Datawind. Great write-up about their success with this tablet in the recent Report on Business magazine in the Toronto Globe and Mail.

Too bad it runs on Android and not QNX...
    01-04-12 01:20 PM
    From some boxes here: 070411, 200411, 130411.

I wouldn't trust that code to be a strong indication of when the product was actually manufactured, however, but merely when it was packaged.

To put it another way, while it clearly means mine were manufactured before the end of April, if I had a box which said 071211, I wouldn't assume it meant there'd been a production run in December, but merely that the tablet was packaged then. It could still have been built back in April or much earlier in the year.
    01-04-12 01:20 PM
    I'd guess there's a date stamp somewhere INSIDE of the pb for final assembly or close to it.

I'd say, given the population of India, 14,000 pb's is small potatoes.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-04-12 02:56 PM
    I'd guess there's a date stamp somewhere INSIDE of the pb for final assembly or close to it.

I'd say, given the population of India, 14,000 pb's is small potatoes.
    It is not about population. It is about public interest. Considering half of my friends use big phones like Galaxy Note, BB torch or an iphone that time is still to come when we'll see people carrying tablets in public in India. This move by BB is no less than a revolution.
    I bought a PB32 for 16k Indian rupees against an Ipad2 that costs bombs around 45-50k, and so will others when they will see what actually they could have/can gain with the PB.
    What I want to say is an emerging market for tablets cannot show results like US/UK, but the stats will increase day by day, thats for sure.
    01-08-12 03:12 AM
    Out of interest, what else can you buy with 16k Indian rupees in India? I assume that is still a huge fortune for a lot of the population.
    01-08-12 03:59 AM
    Out of interest, what else can you buy with 16k Indian rupees in India? I assume that is still a huge fortune for a lot of the population.
    Gud1, not even an iphone 3gs 8GB(20,000) or maybe an LG optimus 2X .
    01-08-12 05:43 AM
    Oh, I got mine in that sale. And they sold 12k units because thats all thats left. Warehouses all over the country are sold out. I had to pay extra to pre-book mine. Stores just had 3 or 4 pieces. RIMs trying to ship more in
    01-08-12 07:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD