If a QNX phone is released this year as suggested by the article, what does it mean for Bold Touch with OS 7?
    I think the Bold Touch has to be taken out back and put down like Old Yeller. There is no place for it in this world.
    06-28-11 03:52 PM
    I think the Bold Touch has to be taken out back and put down like Old Yeller. There is no place for it in this world.
    Wait is the Bold Touch the one with or without the physical keyboard?
    06-28-11 03:53 PM
    Wait is the Bold Touch the one with or without the physical keyboard?
    It's the one without QNX.
    06-28-11 03:54 PM
    If a QNX phone is released this year as suggested by the article, what does it mean for Bold Touch with OS 7?
    Probably that it will be able to upgrade to QNX as they will have the same processing power.
    06-28-11 03:56 PM
    Everyone needs to go back and learn how to read carefully. The thing that is said to be scheduled for release in 2011 is the 4G Playbook. It is said that there is no release date for the QNX phone.

I discount the QNX phone specs entirely because Mike Lazaridis said that QNX requires dual cores. It would probably be too much work (and time) to change this part of the spec.
    06-28-11 04:04 PM
    I have serious doubts about the credibility of this article. First off how can you "halt production" on a device that is only rumored and clearly not yet in production? If they said "halt development" that might be something else. Is there any confirmation of the ten inch tablet rumor in the first place? Seems N4BB is just a rumor mill.

with phrasing like:
    "we exclusively received word..."

"Of course these specs and information are not confirmed by RIM as yet and may change, but make sure you keep it locked to N4BB.com for any more information."

How can you take this as a reliable news source?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-28-11 at 04:14 PM.
    06-28-11 04:06 PM
    Everyone needs to go back and learn how to read carefully. The thing that is said to be scheduled for release in 2011 is the 4G Playbook. It is said that there is no release date for the QNX phone.

I discount the QNX phone specs entirely because Mike Lazaridis said that QNX requires dual cores. It would probably be too much work (and time) to change this part of the spec.
    Its only a matter of time before phone's see dual core.
    06-28-11 04:07 PM
    QNX doesn't require multiple cores. Its forte is the ability to use multiple cores. To optimize the QNX phones multiple cores would absolutely be desirable to leap ahead of the competition. Probably not worth doing otherwise.
    06-28-11 04:11 PM
    QNX doesn't require multiple cores. Its forte is the ability to use multiple cores. To optimize the QNX phones multiple cores would absolutely be desirable to leap ahead of the competition. Probably not worth doing otherwise.
    One would think that one of the cores could be disabled or inactive to save battery life....are we wondering about this just because n4BB claims the phone will have a single core? I also could make up phony news...(no pun intended). News that "I have been told exclusively".
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-28-11 at 04:18 PM.
    06-28-11 04:15 PM
    Maybe it's time RIM puts a gag order on all thier employees, including the CEOs.

Leaking info or promising something released at a certain time doesn't help thier situation unless they are just trying to calm the storm with investors. Even then I don't think it's working because everyone seems to have an different interpretation of a piece of leaked info.
    06-28-11 04:29 PM
    See here: Research in Motion Ltd RIMM Q1 2012 Earnings Call Transcript

Many of you asked why we didn�t move to QNX on BlackBerry handsets immediately. There are a number of reasons why this wasn�t a feasible alternative. First of all, a hard cutover between platforms at this time which what has meant abandoning our strong and loyal BlackBerry developer community. It also would�ve been near and possible to deliver a multi-core QNX smartphone this year given the dual-core baseband processors are only just becoming available. It would also have been unrealistic to try to build a whole new tablet platform and to port BlackBerry to that platform at the same time.
    06-28-11 04:31 PM

The answer is yes.

All the coming phones will be OS7 QNX.

The first model series to be released, 9900, will be touch screen/physical KB

The second model series to be released, 'monaco', fully touch (3.7-inch 800 x 480 capacitive display), will be released soon after.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f238/bl...-specs-575894/
    06-28-11 05:34 PM

The answer is yes.

All the coming phones will be OS7 QNX.

The first model series to be released, 9900, will be touch screen/physical KB

The second model series to be released, 'monaco', fully touch (3.7-inch 800 x 480 capacitive display), will be released soon after.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f238/bl...-specs-575894/
    There is no such thing as "os7 QNX."

The phones that will be released this year are OS7, which is based on the existing BB OS. QNX for phones is coming in 2012 and is based on Playbook's OS.
    06-28-11 06:13 PM
    Unfortunately I think this also means items for the current 7 inch version of the PB have been moved down the "to do list" as well.

It was reported about a month ago that the "folks at the top" were not happy that so much, in the way of QNX resources, were being put into the PB.

If true and RIM contunues to turn a blind eye to the current PB owners they
    will feel a strong back lash in all sales areas.

Time will tell, but it is also running out for RIM to get things together and keeping
    their current customers happy.

Tim
    06-28-11 06:34 PM
    Unfortunately I think this also means items for the current 7 inch version of the PB have been moved down the "to do list" as well.

It was reported about a month ago that the "folks at the top" were not happy that so much, in the way of QNX resources, were being put into the PB.

Time will tell, but it is also running out for RIM to get things together and keeping

Tim
    I don't that they are leaving current pb owners "out in the cold"

Pretty much QNX is QNX they need to develop email client for it no matter what. We will pretty much see features before it is on the phones right now, or at least that's how i think it will go.
    06-28-11 07:10 PM
    I think they are going to suffer enormously after calling these new QNX phones "superphones" IF they just drop the single core 9900 cpu into them.

They will be seriously underpowered.
    06-28-11 08:38 PM
    I think they are going to suffer enormously after calling these new QNX phones "superphones" IF they just drop the single core 9900 cpu into them.

Underpowered as far as doing what? What does a phone need dual core, triple core or quad core for? Most computer software, programs don't even take advantage of multiple cores yet.

Surely everyone's favorites, facebook, twitter and the likes do not and do not need it. All though I could care less about facebook and twitter.

I'm curious what apps, or on the web take advantage of mulitcore processors. If you know I'd be interested in finding out.
    jesse_h likes this.
    06-28-11 08:49 PM
    Wasn't it Mike L himself who said they would NEED dual core processors in them because of QNX? Without that, I bet they'll be laggy as anything.
    06-28-11 08:54 PM

They won't be using single core as that would defeat the entire purpose of moving to the QNX OS.
    06-28-11 08:57 PM
    Underpowered as far as doing what? What does a phone need dual core, triple core or quad core for? Most computer software, programs don't even take advantage of multiple cores yet.

Surely everyone's favorites, facebook, twitter and the likes do not and do not need it. All though I could care less about facebook and twitter.

I'm curious what apps, or on the web take advantage of mulitcore processors. If you know I'd be interested in finding out.
    I posted a thread entitled "Learn Your QNX OS". Apparently you didn't delve into it.
    06-28-11 09:01 PM
    I thought Mike L. didn't know what he's talking about LOL.

I guess everything else that runs on QNX has multicore processors. I thought I read it can run on little of nothing, here I am wrong again. That's OK I'm use to that lol.
    06-28-11 09:02 PM
    They won't be using single core as that would defeat the entire purpose of moving to the QNX OS.
    Other than battery life concerns I would say you are right.
    06-28-11 09:02 PM
    I posted a thread entitled "Learn Your QNX OS". Apparently you didn't delve into it.
    How about a link, I searched for learn your qnx os but see no thread with that title.
    06-28-11 09:06 PM

Tim
    QNX is QNX. What RIM gets going on the PB will be used directly on the phones with nothing lost at all. QNX is a system.
    06-28-11 09:08 PM
    How about a link, I searched for learn your qnx os but see no thread with that title.
    Read it on google news.
    06-28-11 09:11 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD