10″ PlayBook Production Stopped In Favor of First BlackBerry ‘Superphone’ � N4BB – News for BlackBerry – leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

N4BB just posted this...we all know there's no way of knowing how legitimate it is, but if this claim holds any water, I'm glad to hear it.

Releasing any variant on the PlayBook before the one we currently have in our hands is perfected would just be ludacris, and the reason RIM is hurting so badly right now is due to slowed and lackluster phone releases. Let's hope this is true and is the first step to getting back on track.

Now release the 9900 already, based on the videos we've been seeing it looks finished.

Wasn't sure which section of the forums to post this on but I think this is OK as it is directly PlayBook related.
    06-28-11 12:25 PM
    No rush for 10" is fine by me and probably won't affect anyone here but the trolls. I wanna see this "superphone".
    06-28-11 12:30 PM
    A ten inch Playbook would be just plain stupid. Why go head to head with the king of 10 inch pads? I really hope they aren't continuing down the trail of "me too" devices. the whole thing about Playbook is the compact size. Happy this is just a rumour - LEAD RIM LEAD! Don't follow. Go back to being innovative instead of another copy cat.
    06-28-11 12:32 PM
    +1 for moving on to the phones instead of a 10" tablet.

Kind of felt that I was beta testing for the phones with my playbook expect we will see a lot of the same UI. By the way anyone want to argue that, YES I'm FINE with THINKING I'M TESTING.
    ewakil12 and imcurved like this.
    06-28-11 12:33 PM
    Zig Zag.

Good plan. Phones come first at this point. 7" needs some shoring up too.

I'd buy a 10" if the ecosystem were robust enough (which it isn't!)
    06-28-11 12:34 PM
    7" ftw!!!!!
    ewakil12 likes this.
    06-28-11 12:35 PM
    i love the 7" form factor but i wouldn't mind a 10". also, i want the superphone because that is gonna save RIM and me from going droid. i want the super phone but now that i know the 10" is not coming soon i can be at peace with he 7" b/c that really would have made my dreams come true to have a new superphone and a 10" tab. i am so in love with this playbook
    06-28-11 02:13 PM
    Hope this is true; as the OP mentions this is the most logical rumour about RIM to come out in quite sometime. I'm loving my PlayBook, but I NEED the phones!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 02:13 PM
    From the rumor article it sounds like instead of 'growing' the PB from
    7">10" they are planning to mini version 7">4.3" as a phone.
    This sounds great to me.

RIM appears to want to go after the
    iPad (9.7" diag) <> iPhone (3.5" diag)
    combination
    by producing a higher power
    PB tablet (7" diag) <> phone (4.3" diag)
    (with OS like 9900) combination with the BB user in mind.

The BB idea is a killer combo!
    Last edited by mandony; 06-28-11 at 02:18 PM.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    06-28-11 02:16 PM
    7" ftw!!!!!
    yep 7" is pure win.

The thing is, a tablet is a mobile device right there in between a laptop and a smartphone. Its supposed to be powerful like a laptop (though not exactly as powerful obviously), but portable like smaprtphone (though not exactly as portable obviously).

Thats the great thing about the Playbook, its the most powerful tablet on the market, as well as the most portable. Unlike other tablets we could mention that are the exact opposite. lol
    06-28-11 02:18 PM
    I'm actually glad to hear this. The PlayBook is an already great device that can be further advanced with future OS updates. Bring on the QNX phones!
    imcurved likes this.
    06-28-11 02:23 PM
    I like it, assuming its true, for the reasons already stated. At this point, RIM needs to do 3 things at the same time -- 1) get their OS 7 Phones out the door this summer; 2) get the Playbook up to speed and firing on all cylinders; and 3) press ahead with next year's QNX phones. I don't know if they could have added a 4th item -- produce, release and promote a 10 inch version of the Playbook without the first 3 suffering in the process. If they get the 7 inch Playbook rolling with momentum, and have a powerful compliment to it in upcoming phones, then they might have the luxury of the time and capital to add a 10 inch tablet as well.
    06-28-11 02:29 PM
    RIM has to focus on QNX phones and on Playbook. Once those are done it can focus on a different size Playbook.

Good move, in my opinion. Resources need to be focused on these things.
    06-28-11 02:30 PM
    good call from RIM, i want to see these QNX phones asap.
    06-28-11 02:41 PM
    10″ PlayBook Production Stopped In Favor of First BlackBerry �Superphone� � N4BB � News for BlackBerry � leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

N4BB just posted this...we all know there's no way of knowing how legitimate it is, but if this claim holds any water, I'm glad to hear it.

Releasing any variant on the PlayBook before the one we currently have in our hands is perfected would just be ludacris, and the reason RIM is hurting so badly right now is due to slowed and lackluster phone releases. Let's hope this is true and is the first step to getting back on track.

Now release the 9900 already, based on the videos we've been seeing it looks finished.

Wasn't sure which section of the forums to post this on but I think this is OK as it is directly PlayBook related.
    It is a good idea for RIM to shelf the 10" tab in order to bring forward QNX phones. At the same time, this herky-jerky management style at RIM is precisely why their company is in disarray. It looks like a hail mary pass to me, but I do hope it is completed for a touchdown.
    tstrike34 and purijagmohan like this.
    06-28-11 02:42 PM
    I love the 7" PB, but think that their is a market for the 10" and that RIM should produce it at some point. It would be easy for them to do as they could just shove the same components, larger battery with a 10" screen and be done. That said I want a new phone and they need to leverage this PB development into the phones as that is the core business. Once they have the security certs, the native e-mail and PIM working and the radio stacks from the 4G versions it should be easy to get to the phones.
    06-28-11 02:42 PM
    i love the 7" form factor but i wouldn't mind a 10". also, i want the superphone because that is gonna save RIM and me from going droid. i want the super phone but now that i know the 10" is not coming soon i can be at peace with he 7" b/c that really would have made my dreams come true to have a new superphone and a 10" tab. i am so in love with this playbook
    Unlike you, I got tired of the promises - I bought a Droid Charge two weeks back and I have to say - I really like it - better than the BB Tour I de-commissioned.
    06-28-11 02:53 PM
    RIM just don't know where they're headed and are totally confused.

This new shift only goes to further prove that.

Just my own humble opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 03:01 PM
    It is a good idea for RIM to shelf the 10" tab in order to bring forward QNX phones. At the same time, this herky-jerky management style at RIM is precisely why their company is in disarray. It looks like a hail mary pass to me, but I do hope it is completed for a touchdown.
    I don't think it fair in this case to describe RIM as being herky-jerky. The 10" tablet was never beyond a rumour, never announced, so its not really a "cancelation" or necessarily a change of course. I would think RIM has and will continue to consider a larger tablet, and as part of that there may be prototypes that will produce rumors. Maybe even a little constructive leaking out of trial balloons on RIM's part to see which way the weather is blowing. You would hope RIM actually evaluates concepts rather than simply adopting them and plunging forward.

Everyone knows there has been this nearly crippling bottleneck on the phone certification front, due to changes in the chipsets and OS's, and this has led to delays and extended silences with respect to handsets that are absolutely positively coming out, yet still not officially announced. So there is this billowing cloud of uncertainty enveloping RIM, and anyone can project that other things are hiding in that cloud. RIM definately wants to clear the air and release its roadmap to the world, but are hanging tough until the time is right to do so.
    06-28-11 03:06 PM
    I'm not going to quote every post that mention RIM in stumbling because of the rumor. But isn't this what we all want QNX phones. I say if it is true good job RIM way to refocus. You own the 7" tablet market right now (OK, you are the only there but still leading) get to the QNX phone release. Release a 10" tablet after they are released and QNX is more polished.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    06-28-11 03:12 PM
    They just need one or maybe 2 QNx powered phone with a big touch screen and a playbook and RIM will rule.
    06-28-11 03:15 PM
    I'm not going to quote every post that mention RIM in stumbling because of the rumor. But isn't this what we all want QNX phones. I say if it is true good job RIM way to refocus. You own the 7" tablet market right now (OK, you are the only there but still leading) get to the QNX phone release. Release a 10" tablet after they are released and QNX is more polished.
    Yes, its what we want ultimately. However, RIM's fearless leader said during the earnings call that no QNX phone would appear in 2011 and that OS 7 would fill the gap. Now after a formal earnings call to investors and analysts, who look to these calls for direction, the CEO does a flip flop. Ok, maybe its good, but it looks like bad leadership to do so right after an earnings call where the CEO says completely the opposite to the shareholders.

I know this, if the CEO has made this strategic decision to suddenly change directions and they put out an incomplete QNX phone or miss another deadline, then RIM is toast.

Hopefully, RIM pulls it off, but again it looks like a hail mary pass to me. Looks like they are feeling so much pressure to perform that they just went against all the investor guidance they just provided on their earnings call.
    06-28-11 03:27 PM
    Yes, its what we want ultimately. However, RIM's fearless leader said during the earnings call that no QNX phone would appear in 2011 and that OS 7 would fill the gap. Now after a formal earnings call to investors and analysts, who look to these calls for direction, the CEO does a flip flop. Ok, maybe its good, but it looks like bad leadership to do so right after an earnings call where the CEO says completely the opposite to the shareholders.

I know this, if the CEO has made this strategic decision to suddenly change directions and they put out an incomplete QNX phone or miss another deadline, then RIM is toast.

Hopefully, RIM pulls it off, but again it looks like a hail mary pass to me. Looks like they are feeling so much pressure to perform that they just went against all the investor guidance they just provided on their earnings call.
    Also remember this an unsubstantiated rumor on an unsubstantiated rumored device

But I see your point. As a consumer though for me focus on QNX they proved a 7" tablet can sell and get good review. I don't care what they promised on an earnings call.
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-28-11 at 03:46 PM.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    06-28-11 03:43 PM
    Never mind how it looks, this is the best decision RIM could have made. The 10" PB would have killed both products off with one blow. Now, RIM nor its fans will have to deal with explaining the purpose of a 10" after they have made so much noise about the 7" being so much better.

They don't have to deal with the pricing nightmare of having both units on the shelf at the same price, or the 10" being priced out of the market, or having to eat their words about the 7" price to begin with.

Finally, they don't have to deal with the Osborne effect of people who are waiting around to see the 10" model before making a purchasing decision. All this, and the added advantages of freeing up more time for working on the product they already have and the QNX platform, in general.
    jenks5150 likes this.
    06-28-11 03:43 PM
    Never mind how it looks, this is the best decision RIM could have made. The 10" PB would have killed both products off with one blow. Now, RIM nor its fans will have to deal with explaining the purpose of a 10" after they have made so much noise about the 7" being so much better.

They don't have to deal with the pricing nightmare of having both units on the shelf at the same price, or the 10" being priced out of the market, or having to eat their words about the 7" price to begin with.

Finally, they don't have to deal with the Osborne effect of people who are waiting around to see the 10" model before making a purchasing decision. All this, and the added advantages of freeing up more time for working on the product they already have and the QNX platform, in general.
    If a QNX phone is released this year as suggested by the article, what does it mean for Bold Touch with OS 7?
    06-28-11 03:45 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD