...My wife though would love 10 inches.
    I almost laughed my lunch out!~ Thanks!
    B.
    01-20-12 11:50 AM
    I grab my Ipad2 on regular basis if I'm at home. Why? Bigger browser, easier to browse forums. My playbook can do exactly the same and sometimes even better, but size does matter if I'm browsing for a couple of hours.

If a 10" playbook will present itself in the future, than the ipad2 have to go!
    01-20-12 11:55 AM
    well only see a 50-100$ decrease, this is apple were talking about.
    The iPad's only legit competitor right now sells at $199, and you're kidding yourself if you don't think there will be a $299, 10-inch Kindle at some point. But, a $299 iPad forces Amazon even lower in price ("same cost as the iPad!" hasn't worked for anyone before), thus making the 10-in tablet market much more risky at $249.
    01-20-12 12:14 PM
    I agree with others, Smaller Bezel to increase screen size a little and it would be perfect.
    01-20-12 01:28 PM
    I like the current form factor. I'm sure that there would be others who would like it larger.

If rim can pull off multiple models after this, ahem, launch and relaunch, all power to them.

I for one am not interested in another data bill.
    yunvi likes this.
    01-20-12 02:56 PM
    A new 7" (probably priced a lot higher than current 64gb) and a 10" version will be welcomed addition to the lineup and nice for some people.

As far as I'm concerned, my 16gb Playbook I paid $199 for will remain the best techy deal I made since a very long time!
    01-20-12 03:08 PM
    LOL never heard anyone say that 10" is to big for them....*cough cough*

why would RIM launch a new 7" tablet in April after they just updated the current on a month before?? The only reason I can see this is slightly valid is if its a LTE/Faux-G edition. If it was then why wouldn't RIM announce it?? We knew the PB was announced months before the arrival in April. So IMO this rumor has no legs to stand on.
    01-20-12 10:45 PM
    Only too heavy.
    01-20-12 10:48 PM
    RIM promised OS 2.0 last October and moved it to February 2012. They promised BB10 in February and have moved it to the end of 2012. I would say the rumors are nothing more than Vaporware. The Playbook can't stay relevant based on its history of broken promises.

RIM can barely sell the Playbook now and nobody knows if OS 2.0 will improve their financial situation. RIM's management would have to be complete morons to promise two new products at this time.

RIM has no credibility in my opinion. They need to focus on the here and now because if they don't, there will be no tomorrow!
    completely agree,+1. the biggest downfall for RIM right now is its credibility. They need to work on bringing that back up before they launch something they don't need and a 10" WIFI only tablet is NOT something they need. I do think that PBOS 2.0 will improve their standings. They pushed 2.0 and BB10 back because they are aware that their word is worth squat right now so they want to make sure they launch fully operational.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-20-12 10:51 PM
    I love current format, smaller bezel larger screen same overall size though would be OK. My wife though would love 10 inches.
    I'll bet she would
    auditman and RicThot like this.
    01-20-12 11:01 PM
    I'm not sure where these rumors are coming from, but they're not entirely out of line.

Yes, I can imagine a new Playbook this spring once the current stock is sold out. I can also imagine a larger tablet this fall. Why not? Hardware isn't much different, and, yes, some prefer the larger format.

I think some of the delay for 2.0 was to line up some pleasant surprises for the "reboot", if you will. The Zinio tease at CES was nice, but when the device actually relaunches for realz it would be nice to see some big names (hint: Netflix AND Skype, perhaps?).

I can envision new hardware.
    01-21-12 12:38 AM
    I prefer the 7-inch form factor, but making a 10-inch model makes total sense. The reality is that the original pricing structure never made sense given the smaller size and given the price points were the same as for the iPad. So the pricing for the 7-inch will probably go to $329, $429 and $529 on the relaunch, or something in that neighborhood, which still gives them good margins, especially for the 32G and 64G models, and then they can have a 10-inch which will be priced in the iPad range. As many have said here the 7-inch form factors suits alot of purposes, but the 10-inch does as well, and so you want to have both covered off. You do not want customers making purchasing decisions based on size. And in some ways, by announcing both at the same time, you take some of the embarrasement (for lack of a better word) away of having to change your pricing from the initial launch.
    blue-b likes this.
    01-21-12 04:59 AM

10" is too big for me. There you go. Which is why I didn't get an Asus prime when it was on sale for 289 before xmas and stayed with the PB.

Form factor of the PB is actually what brought me to the tablet world. I didn't feel like traveling with my computer monitor all time.

Bigger is not always better.
    01-21-12 06:59 AM
    It's not the size! It's what you can do with it!
    01-21-12 08:24 AM
    the 7" size is good for me . as far as the 10" .. not too sure about that . the 7 can fit in my back pocket for on the go .
    DaveTheA likes this.
    01-21-12 08:50 AM
    the 7" size is good for me . as far as the 10" .. not too sure about that . the 7 can fit in my back pocket for on the go .
    Exactly right. MY PB fits in a coat pocket or the side pocket of my gear bag for work. My wife can fit her PB in a medium-sized purse. All this is impossible with a 10" tablet. I'm sure some 10" models would sell, but not enough to pay RIM to do it.
    01-21-12 09:31 AM
    I like the 7" size better as well, for the portability reason. I have a 10" TouchPad that I got free at a conference and it's not a bad tablet but I rarely use it unless I'm just sitting around the house and don't feel like taking out my laptop or walking to the desktop.

I'm about to jump on the 64GB sale since I currently have the 16GB, so I am curious about what might be different on the new version of the 7". If it's just the addition of 3g/4g/lte/whatever, then I'm not interested. If there are new hardware specs that would be a different story... although I'm plenty happy with what my current PB has in that department.
    Last edited by gritsinct; 01-21-12 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    01-21-12 11:23 AM
    A second playbook would be the next logical step. Put the price of the old PB to 199€ util they are sold out and introduce a new generation with hardware (higher resolution would be neat) and a higher price.

They need to work in their marketing though after OS2 is finally available.
    01-21-12 04:38 PM
    Not a chance. The playbook is seen by the popular tech press as an unfortunate (if undeserved) failure. A new version in the current market would have to be so innovative, otherwise it would cause a shareholder revolt. I would like to see it but I really doubt that RIM is prepared to double down on the Playbook at this point.
    01-21-12 04:52 PM
    Not a chance. The playbook is seen by the popular tech press as an unfortunate (if undeserved) failure. A new version in the current market would have to be so innovative, otherwise it would cause a shareholder revolt. I would like to see it but I really doubt that RIM is prepared to double down on the Playbook at this point.
    I agree, it is a bad idea to put one out before they make the Playbook a hit.

James
    xindy likes this.
    01-21-12 04:56 PM
    Current size is great. If anything just ever so slightly smaller on the bezels would be greater.
    01-21-12 06:44 PM
    I might get one. I'd keep both. I'd say that the 7" would go with me far more often, but I could see myself grabbing the larger tablet for some things. As long as keeping everything in sync is not too cumbersome.
    01-21-12 07:42 PM
    I love current format, smaller bezel larger screen same overall size though would be OK. My wife though would love 10 inches.
    im sure she'ed LOVE 10 inches. rofl.
    01-21-12 08:20 PM
    I agree, it is a bad idea to put one out before they make the Playbook a hit.

James

Do you seriously think the current PB can ever become a "hit"? It's too late for that imo - yes, if you demo the PB to people they are usually impressed - but *everyone* (none BB current user) I've spoken to about it thinks it is second rate and RIM is on the way out. Regardless of whether this is true or not how can you make an almost 1 year old tech tablet a "hit"? Once the iPad3 with its super hi res comes out that's all I'll hear from people.. It doesn't matter to most what it will *do* - why would they buy one when everyone around has iPads/Android? I'm in the UK - this may be different elsewhere - I work at a University - the IT dept deliberately ignored the PB in favour of android for teaching as it wasn't ready - I know of no-one else with one at all (other than the ones I bought for my family) whereas I can find 20+ android tabs, and more than double that iPads without thinking too hard amongst colleagues/students.

I think to move forward BB need to make a great new product - not revamp an old one. People imo want the latest, not something old and relatively rare with not the greatest app support yet. Something near the iPad 3 specs/res but cheaper - with a *real* differentiator (removable storage? ethernet port for IT troubleshooting? Proper presenting software/PPT? etc.) as bridge is not enough for anyone if they don't have a BB phone.

I like what my PB can do, I just find it hard to justify it to others over the other 2 main types of competitor. It's frustrating as it could be a great product - if it had been released at �200-250 instead of the �400 I paid (16GB) it would have sold more, have more support and better reviews and this could all have been a different story.

Here's hoping for a BlackBerry "WorkBook", professional tablet that really works. Playbook might mean something sporty/strategic in the Americas - over here it conjures up different meanings - "Play" = "Toy/Fun" (split the market - play and work?!). Voluntary App support will be far less than the Android/iPad (no matter what, realistically) so RIM should core support/buy necessary apps.

Sorry - very long
    01-22-12 04:58 AM
    Here's hoping for a BlackBerry "WorkBook", professional tablet that really works. Playbook might mean something sporty/strategic in the Americas - over here it conjures up different meanings - "Play" = "Toy/Fun" (split the market - play and work?!). Voluntary App support will be far less than the Android/iPad (no matter what, realistically) so RIM should core support/buy necessary apps.
    Can't agree more. I firmly believe they named it wrong, especially when they were targeting this to "enterprise market".

Boss: "What's that new device you're carrying?"
    Employee: "It's my shiny new Playbook"
    Boss: "What? Why are you bringing in a play-thing to work?"

and it could be the name itself is contributing to the problem with sales.
    01-22-12 08:39 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD