Hi guys,
    Basically I just got a brand new 32GB Playbook today for being involved in the portathons and submitting 3 eligible apps. It came all the way from Ohio to UK. Basically I opened it up and powered it on and a red light comes on followed by 5 yellow lights. I tried charging it via usb and by wall charger and still no luck. I have tried:
    -Pressing Volume Keys & Power Button
    -Updating software via blackberry desktop software. It updates but at the end of installation it says desktop loader is unable to connect to device you may need to enter password on the device. Which I cant do as I never have used playbook and it doesnt even turn on
    -Holding power button down for 10 seconds and holding power button down for 30 seconds

What shall I do? Ive emailed the rewards department and ill see what happens. Could you guys help me out?

BTW the wall charger supplied I cant use as it is american type so I just used a generic type usb one laying around the house.
    01-24-13 04:22 PM
    When the battery level of the BlackBerry PlayBook reaches a level 0%, the tablet will automatically turn off. The LED will blink in a sequence when attempting to Power On the device indicating a low charge, red blink and then followed by 5 yellow blinks.
    This is because the BlackBerry PlayBook battery does not have enough charge to power up the tablet.
    You will have to use the charger that came with the PB. It will work with an adapter if you have one.
    EDIT: unless you have a charger that put out 1.8A +
    Scotter75 likes this.
    01-24-13 04:31 PM
    Thanks man! Will have a try!
    01-24-13 04:39 PM
    Ref'ing the c/p that Chad' shared ... when consumers get their new batt' powered devices in hand, why can't they ignore the urge to power up right-a-way, BUT plug the charger in first and let it sit overnight (or sooner whenever green light shows up as done in this household all the time) ----- THEN turn it on and enjoy the goods usually trouble-free (batt' wise anyways) !

While waiting (and no domestic duties to perform), READ the manuals provided or online !

imho

p.s. good luck OP
    01-24-13 06:12 PM
    Don't keep trying if you get the Red light/5 Yellows... you'll soon drag the battery down past where you can start it again. Leave it off, plug it in and let it charge (with at least a 1.8A charger). Once you get the flashing (once every few seconds) green light, you can power it up - on the charger. If you do drag it down below the red flash/5 yellows, plug it in for 1 minute, unplug (at the wall) for a second or so, plug it back in and repeat for 20-30 minutes. You'll eventually get the red/yellows and then leave it plugged in (and off) until you get the flashing green. It's a PITA but the PlayBook has a very conservative charging algorithm when the battery is below 2.67 Volts to prevent explosions (I'm guessing). I've never been unable to start one with that method.
    01-24-13 07:50 PM
    I agree and if I may add patience at first. My enthusiasm to use it right away was tempered by charging completely first then diving into it. The pb is. A great product once it gets charged.
    01-25-13 08:58 AM
    Ref'ing the c/p that Chad' shared ... when consumers get their new batt' powered devices in hand, why can't they ignore the urge to power up right-a-way, BUT plug the charger in first and let it sit overnight (or sooner whenever green light shows up as done in this household all the time) ----- THEN turn it on and enjoy the goods usually trouble-free (batt' wise anyways) !

While waiting (and no domestic duties to perform), READ the manuals provided or online !

imho

p.s. good luck OP
    Hmmm, It's all very well SAYING that, but when you've got a lovely shiny new piece of tech. in your hands, it is VERY difficult to resist the temptation to just fire it up and have a quick look... I find the couple of hours it takes to do an initial charge usually feels like days!!

IMHO

Chris
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-25-13 09:40 AM
    Thanks! It worked!
    01-25-13 12:21 PM
    Didnt worked for me. connected the charger, appears a battery icon with a bolt.
    the icon disapear and the led flash GREEN.
    after the led flash green, he starts up, and after all colours with the blackberry playbook letters on the screen, he turns off again...
    02-14-13 12:04 PM
    after the led flash green, he starts up, and after all colours with the blackberry playbook letters on the screen, he turns off again...
    How much of a charge did the unit accrue? It will shut off if there isn't enough of a charge.
    02-15-13 11:27 AM
    It doesn't say the charge % ...
    02-15-13 11:28 AM
    Leave it charging for a couple of hours.
    02-15-13 11:34 AM
    It charged all night...
    02-15-13 11:34 AM
    Try a different outlet. Sounds like you're not picking up a charge. I have seen the screen you described before. A large battery in the middle of the screen right? Jiggle the connections.
    02-15-13 11:39 AM

Are you turning the PB on or is it starting by itself? The green pulsing light should indicate charging while turned off. If you can manage to get it to pulse green then leave it for a few hours before trying to turn it on.
    02-15-13 11:48 AM
    I leave it alone charging and he starts up but after all colours he just shut down...
    02-15-13 11:49 AM
    You are using the charger that came with the PB and you're sure it works?

Try this:
    After you plug in and see "BlackBerry PlayBook" on the screen, hold the power button until the screen goes blank. Unplug the charger for 15 seconds or so then plug back in. That should keep in off and charging mode(green pulsing light). Let it charge for a few hours before you try to turn it on.
    02-15-13 12:13 PM
    Original charger yes. I pressed power 25 seconds and plugged the charger and nothing happens :/
    02-15-13 12:16 PM
    Original charger yes. I pressed power 25 seconds and plugged the charger and nothing happens :/

I pressed the power an is turning on. I think it will shut down after all colors again. Hope not!!!
    02-15-13 12:18 PM

After this, the screen goes black...!!!
    02-15-13 12:25 PM
    The goal here is to get it to stay off while charging.

As soon as you see PlayBook hold JUST the power button until the screen goes blank THEN unplug. Wait 30 seconds or so. Plug it back in and DON'T press any buttons. It should stay off and the green light should pulse.
    02-15-13 12:37 PM
    Yes I already did it but the playbook automaticly turns ON after a few minutes... but goes black after all colors...
    02-15-13 12:40 PM
    I don't have any other ideas. I did what I suggested one one of my PB's and it is still pulsing green. Never turned on. You may have a more serious issue. What were the events that led up to this problem?

Try a reboot by holding power and volume +?
    02-15-13 01:06 PM
    I found somewhere saying "press down the power button and after 20 seconds plug the wall charger" I did it and is blinking yellow. I will leave it until tomorrow morning (it's 19h09 here)
    02-15-13 01:10 PM
    Sounds good. Light will stay on when fully charged. I say its green but some say yellow. Result will be the same.
    02-15-13 01:31 PM
34 12