I decided to start a new thread for this so it doesn't get burried in another 'Bridge issue' thread. This is meant to be a troubleshooting thread and not a problem reporting thread.

Background:
    When 1.0.6 rolled out, I was disappointed to find out that I could not access media files via email attachments or via Bridge Files. There were lots of posts about bakcup/wipe/restore which, in some cases, solved the issue for most (but not all).

Given that I like having my hi-def demo video to show off my Playbook (I know it's a stupid reason), and knowing that a new update was coming, I decided to hold off.

In the week or so that we were all mentally preparing (ie agonizing) for the 1.0.7 update, I came close since someone offerred a link for the video. But I still held off knowing that I'd be able to have the video on my Playbook but wouldn't be able to use demo mode since the video would not be in the expected location with the expected name. Naive me, who never had actually used demo mode, thought that Enhanced Demo Mode would allow me to choose the video I wanted to play when my Playbook is set to demo mode. I didn't realize that demo mode was more of a 'safe mode' for demoing the Playbook in a store. But I digress...

So while waiting for the update and not doing a backup/wipe/restore, I was thinking of possible reasons that I'm not able to see media files attached to an email or residing on the memory card of my Playook.

I tried to identify variabes in the process. The first thing that occurred to me was that I did my 1.0.6 update OTA and others used DM. After reading a few threads, I realized that there were people who also did the OTA update without having to wipe who were able to access media files. So I eliminated that one.

Since a backup/wipe/restore worked for most people the following occurred to me. The one thing in common among people who had success with the wipe potentially was that after the wipe, they had a bridge-configuration-free Playbook and a phone that had the most recent version of the Bridge to pair it with. With 1.0.6, I distinctly recall downloading the updated Bridge to my phone, trying it out before updating to 1.0.6, and then doing the 1.0.6 upgrde on my Playbook.

So this time around, I did the following:

1. Last night when the Bridge update became available for the phone, I first went into the Playbook, turned off the Bridge, and then went into my Bluetooth setup and removed my phone from available devices. I left my Playbook with Bridge and Bluetooth turned off.

2. I updated the Bridge on my phone and rebooted the phone as suggested after the install. Then, just for good measure, I did a battery pull on the phone and restarted it. I started the Bridge on my phone and turned the Bridge off (which was on by default). I went into Bluetooth settings on the phone and removed the Playbook as an attached device.

3. So at around 11:30 or so last night (EST), I had a phone with the most current version of the Bridge and a Playbook running 1.0.6, but no 1.0.7 available yet. I was tempted a number of times to pair the 2 and see if my attachments worked, but resisted. By 3:00am (ughhhh!) with no 1.0.7 yet available, I went to sleep determined not to attempt any bridging until my Playbook was updated.

4. Early this morning (with bags under my eyes), I saw that 1.0.7 was available. As a side note, I did not have an update notification, but it did show up when I pressed the 'check for updates' button. 1.0.7 downloaded, installed, and then I rebooted the Playbook.

5. I went into the Bridge configuration on the Playbook and clicked the 'Setup' button. It brought me to the screen telling me to download the Bridge software for the phone. I clicked continue. Then on my phone (9650), I turned on the bridge within the Bridge app. On the Playbook, the 'barcode' appeared. I clicked continue on the phone, pointed the camera at it and, after a few seconds (quicker than I had seen this happen before), the Bridge was set up.

Results:
    Messages: check! Emails populate the Playbook and I'm able to view attachments.

Calendar: check! Nothing new

Tasks: check! Nothing new

Memos: check! Nothing new

Bridge Browser: check! Really snappy!!! (sorry...I had to since that's what everyone else seems to say whether it's true or not :P )

Bridge Files: check! I can finally see pictures stored on my phone that I couldn't see before.

The bridge functionality seems to be working fine.

If you found your bridge functionality working properly after the update, I have the following questions:
    1. Did anyone run the new bridge against PB 1.0.6, update to 1.0.7, and have success?
    2. Did anyone who did similar to me not have success with the Bridge?

I think that this is a good starting ground for troubleshooting the issue.
    07-19-11 03:33 PM
    1) Yes. Updated bridge on 9630 last night, used bridged PB during the evening, updated PB this morning. All seems to be working correctly. (9630 is running 5.0.0.975)
    07-19-11 03:45 PM
    my pb and my torch bridging work fine.im with att btw.how about accessing the music and the video file on my torch to my PB is it possible because i cant do it right now.
    07-19-11 03:52 PM
    my pb and my torch bridging work fine.im with att btw.how about accessing the music and the video file on my torch to my PB is it possible because i cant do it right now.
    No music and video for me either. I don't think that functionality is supposed to be there yet. I'm looking for differences between people who can do certain things and those that can't.
    07-19-11 04:02 PM
    that did not work for me, the bridge shows the black loading page with the blackberry logo which vanishes after a couple of minutes...
    07-19-11 05:06 PM
    that did not work for me, the bridge shows the black loading page with the blackberry logo which vanishes after a couple of minutes...
    Exactly what didn't work for you? I'm looking for steps and sequences to try to figure out why it works for some and not for others.
    07-19-11 05:15 PM
    i followed ur steps, and i get only the bridge nrowser and the bridge file working for the others i get the loading pagebwith the bb logo then nothing...
    07-19-11 05:36 PM
    Funny I did just the opposite. I am tetherd right now typing this and it has never been faster. Old bridge on my 9650 and 1.7 on the PB. Go figure.
    Im leving it this way till I have to. Also still 5.0 on my phone if it helps anyone.

cheers
    07-19-11 07:05 PM
    I didn't update bridge on my Torch, but did update my PB. My Bridge Browser was much faster. I was showing it off in the middle of a golf course, so I thought it would be its usual slow self, but I was really surprised! Having the big, mean company as my provider and reading the reviews that the Bridge updates now require a tethering plan, I am very hesitant to update on that side.
    07-19-11 07:07 PM
    Exactly what didn't work for you? I'm looking for steps and sequences to try to figure out why it works for some and not for others.
    It may be related to incompabilities in some devices' OS is what I'm thinking. Works fine on my Tour with latest Bridge and PB OS update.
    07-19-11 07:10 PM
    I wonder if having bridge running on both devices when upgrading has anything to do with it? Along with the success/failure of bridge for you, phone model and OS might shed some light.
    07-19-11 07:24 PM
    9780 and os 6.0.0.600
    07-20-11 01:40 AM
    I have a similiar problem. However, now when i go to bridge files, my sd card doent show up. I have tried deleting and repairing my bridge, etc. Rebooted my playbook, everything. All other bridge items work but that.

Anyone have any ideas? I know this worked n .2650, but once i downloaded to .2670, it doesn't work any longer.
    07-21-11 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD