With latest update, and the "unlocked" functionality majority of the applications to be able to get internet connected via BB bridge, was wondering what happens in case PlayBook is "bridged" to BlackBerry with the traffic, in case BlackBerry is on WiFi.

Just did a simple "experiment":
    - PlayBook connected to BlackBerry via BB Bridge
    - Wifi on PlayBook off
    - on BlackBerry WiFi ON; Radio OFF

Works! On PlayBook using internet PB (Bridge) -> BB (WiFi)

My safe assumption is when on BlackBerry Radio is ON and the same time the device is on WiFi, the bridge traffic should go through WiFi but not SP network.

It could sound not that practical solution at first, but in cases
    - do not need faster (WiFi) internet - my regular browsing of blogs and forums
    - and anyway you are using Bridge for emails, calendar and contacts
    you simply are saving battery life on PlayBook keeping the WiFi OFF.

For me was important to see how bridge traffic is routed, through the Wifi (when available) or through cellular network, simply because many SP in the world do not offer unlimited data plans but quite limited in fact.
    08-26-11 12:04 AM
    I'm now kicking myself for giving up my u limited data plan. That being said, I pay way less but my data functionality is now decreased.
    08-26-11 12:08 AM
    Okay. Why would I want to drain the battery on both my phone and Playbook if I'm in a wifi coverage area? So my phone would need Bluetooth and Wi-fi switched on and my Playbook would need Bluetooth switched on. As opposed to just switching on wifi on the Playbook???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    melander likes this.
    08-26-11 12:14 AM
    Actually with this "finding" I am not planning to switch PlayBook's WiFi ON unless watching movies online. Better battery life and do not need to care for the traffic when BB is on WiFi
    08-26-11 12:15 AM
    Okay. Why would I want to drain the battery on both my phone and Playbook if I'm in a wifi coverage area? So my phone would need Bluetooth and Wi-fi switched on and my Playbook would need Bluetooth switched on. As opposed to just switching on wifi on the Playbook???

This is very practical to me, as PlayBook is Bridge connected to BlackBerry with the purpose of Email, Calendar, and Contacts ALL THE TIME, and my WiFi always is ON on BB.

In fact I do save battery life at least on one of the devices this way.
    08-26-11 12:20 AM

Here is one real life example...
    Right now I'm in a coffee shop with password protected Wi-Fi. I have the profile saved on both of my devices.
    For some reason, my Playbook doesn't want to connect, but my phone does.
    So, right now I'm writing this message from my Playbook bridged with my Torch w/ Wi-Fi turned on.... and I'm happy for my browsing speed

In addition, I can verify that not a single KB passed through the radio.
    togardergrosse and kyleheney like this.
    08-26-11 12:35 AM
    I was experimenting with this also yesterday morning. It seemed that what the OP found it what I noticed. PB wifi off but BB wifi on, the PB was getting its data through the bb's wifi. I could seem my dsl modem active. When I turned off the bb wifi, things slowed down - I got choppier results only on 3g mirroring my results when only using the bb browser on 3g.

Actually, for a while I was sure that the pb was still using its own wifi even when I had it switched off. Is that possible?
    08-26-11 09:26 AM
    this update just added about 30ft to your wifi coverage, nice.
    08-26-11 09:42 AM
    Actually, for a while I was sure that the pb was still using its own wifi even when I had it switched off. Is that possible?
    Not possible, unless software bug which shows WiFi OFF but not switching it OFF actually.
    08-26-11 10:59 AM
    this update just added about 30ft to your wifi coverage, nice.

The upgrade didn't came on time - couple of weeks ago got second WiFi router to cover the entire house
    08-26-11 11:04 AM

The upgrade didn't came on time - couple of weeks ago got second WiFi router to cover the entire house
    Maybe try this setup, the old router as G only (for legacy devices like the wii and nintendo DS) and the new router as N only.
    08-26-11 11:07 AM
    OK I must be missing something here. My tour has no wifi but when there is no wifi avail or I turn off wifi I'm still able to use the main browser as well as the bridge browser.

So what you all are saying that the playbook uses your phones wifi which doesn't make much sense except for the odd situation where your phone will connect but your playbook won't otherwise why not just connect the playbook using it's own wifi?
    melander likes this.
    08-26-11 12:13 PM
    Maybe try this setup, the old router as G only (for legacy devices like the wii and nintendo DS) and the new router as N only.
    Was joking. The second router came for covering the bedrooms area, where most of the time have one bar or cannot connect at all on iPad. Not an issue to me being most time at the study. Recently the better half "discovered" the iPad, after an year having it at home, and start complaining why cannot watch online movies when at the bedroom.
    08-26-11 10:04 PM
    OK I must be missing something here. My tour has no wifi but when there is no wifi avail or I turn off wifi I'm still able to use the main browser as well as the bridge browser.

So what you all are saying that the playbook uses your phones wifi which doesn't make much sense except for the odd situation where your phone will connect but your playbook won't otherwise why not just connect the playbook using it's own wifi?
    Yes, the idea is that you connect the PlayBook using phone WiFi only with Bridge. And you are right, this wont make any sense if do not use Bridge all the time, and don' keeping WiFi ON on the phone all the time.

But in a case as mine, when the PlayBook is virtually 24/7 connected to the phone on Bridge makes sense for saving battery life on PlayBook.

Scenario when PlayBook uses WiFi: On Phone - cell radio ON; WiFi ON; BlueTooth ON; On PlayBook - WiFi ON; BlueTooth ON.
    Scenario when PB uses Phone WiFi with Bridge; On Phone - same as above; On PlayBook - WiFi OFF, BlueTooth ON.
    08-26-11 10:23 PM
    I'd rather keep wifi on the playbook because my phone doesn't have wifi but the battery drains real fast on the phone while bridged and the playbook battery last. I always have to plug my phone in because it's going dead after awhile and the playbook has plenty of battery left.

Maybe that would be different if I had a newer phone? and one with wifi, I don't know.
    08-27-11 05:28 AM
    I'd rather keep wifi on the playbook because my phone doesn't have wifi but the battery drains real fast on the phone while bridged and the playbook battery last. I always have to plug my phone in because it's going dead after awhile and the playbook has plenty of battery left.

Maybe that would be different if I had a newer phone? and one with wifi, I don't know.
    If not wrong cellular data is much more power hungry than WiFi, especially 3G. Without WiFi, and with older phone, probably do not makes sense the "solution".

Running for second day on Bridge only and havent experienced extra drain on the phone. On average my device consumes between 4.5 - 5.5% of the battery per hour, and thats still the case.
    08-28-11 01:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD