CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default water damage or dead battery?

So on Monday morning I dropped my blackberry pearl into the sink and it landed right under the running water. It was on for a minute or so after that but I took the battery out so I could dry it and then when I put it back together it won't turn on. The red light on the front comes on for a few seconds and the little scrolly ball lights up but nothing else happens. I assumed it was water damage and I was told by a friend to put it in rice so that's where it's been ever since. However, I was looking online and read that the red light means the battery's dead, could that be my problem instead?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Water Damage

Emilicous, sorry to say that it's not going to turn out to be the battery. Once a Blackberry smartphone gets wet you don't stand much more than a 50 - 50 chance of saving it, and unless you get to the phone and pull out the battery immediately (without putting it back until dry) you stand no chance at all.

More than likely water got to the circuit board and fried something. Most people who get a phone wet make one of two mistakes 1) they don't get the battery out quick enough, or 2) they put the battery back in before the phone is throughly dry.

Wish I had better news for you, and the phone may dry out latter and make you think it going to be OK, but take my word for it when I tell you it will, at best (if it starts at all) have problems and act hinkey from here on out.
    Last edited by Jaszman; 04-06-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Still can't spell
    CrackBerry Newbie

I need help real bad!
    I went away for a weekend and my blackberry curve 8900 was in the same bag as my toiletries, when I emptied my bag I realised that my shampoo had leaked just a tiny bit but some had gone into the chager port of my phone My phone was still on and working perfectly normal until a about 2 weeks later my phone died and I wernt able to get a charger until the next morning.. So I put it on charge and nothing happened, no red light nothing! I then took it to carphone warehouse and they took it in for repair, they called me into the store to say my blackberry had liquid damage.. But both water damage indicator on my device and battery are still white and do not have a bit of pink showing? I did not let it dry out as I said it worked perfectly fine after? What can I do now? I was thinking about taking it apart with a T6 screw driver to see if I can maybe clean around my charger port?
    Please post a reply, I really need somebody's help!!
    CrackBerry Master

Georgina, try borrowing a friend's battery to see if the phone works with a different battery. If it does, get a charging pod - it charges the phone through the contacts on either side of the battery door latch instead of through the USB port.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Shampoo will not show up as the pink strip on the battery because it is not water. The stripes are designed to react with water or water based liquids like sodas etc.
    Therefore the guys who looked at your phone either saw shampoo residue or some type of short circuit evidence on the main board.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,696 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mertonmarshall View Post
    Shampoo will not show up as the pink strip on the battery because it is not water. The stripes are designed to react with water or water based liquids like sodas etc.
    Therefore the guys who looked at your phone either saw shampoo residue or some type of short circuit evidence on the main board.
    Not true. The label on my shampoo lists the ingredients, and the first one listed is water.