Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. joethaking06's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Picture Quality

    What settings should I use to get the best picture quality from my flip? They always look extremely white and grainy...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  2. Bullfrog110MB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    125 Posts
    PIN
    Я Ĥ3ĻĻ
    #2  

    Default

    Check the lens, sometimes lint blocks it.
    Autoflash.
  3. TeritaM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,573 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    this thing just takes crappy pictures.
  4. Starku's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    PIN
    PAL
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post
    this thing just takes crappy pictures.
    Well, my 8220 has taken better pictures than the phones that many people I know have. Maybe they have "really crappy pictures" then? I think it does rather well for a phone, especially considering it has a 2 MP camera, which is higher than some devices.
  5. TeritaM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,573 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Clearly your opinion on what constitutes good picture quality is very different than mine.
  6. Bullfrog110MB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    125 Posts
    PIN
    Я Ĥ3ĻĻ
    #6  

    Default

    Well ****.

    If you are a richy ***** then go home and sell the BlackBerry.
    You must be used to a 10mp camera.

    ITS A PHONE FOR GOD'S SAKE!
    It has a 2mp camera and that is better than most.

    Check your lens.
    My 8220 is amazing!
  7. DesignJams's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Hi! I was hoping for a better quality picture but I suspect that since it's not a high quality camera, we're not going to get good pics. I find that if natural lighting is around and the flash is not used, the pic can be decent. I probably get 1 good one out of 10. So, if I want a decent picture, I have to use my digital camera. I don't think we should expect too much from a phone, (Although my daughter has an 8130 Verizon Pearl and it takes great pics!!)
    .... And the iPhoners said the Blackbery was dead.... HA!!
  8. Starku's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    PIN
    PAL
    #8  

    Default

    Yes, I must be mistaken. That is clearly the only possible option here. Look TeritaM, it's a phone, it's not going to have the best pictures ever, it's a phone. When you complain about it, remember, it is a phone. It's not a camera and the data required to run a higher end camera would kill the OS. A 2 Mega Pixel camera is higher than most phones, which usually boast 1.5 MP, maybe slightly higher. Your more expensive phones have 2 to 2.5. Your average camera has at least 3 or 4 MP, and higher end cameras have 6,7, 8 MP. The real expensive ones run close to 10 MP. They cost a lot of money.

    That being said, it's a phone. Based off other phones, the picture quality is actually pretty good. I really encourage you to look up Mega Pixels and see what goes into them, and what it takes to make a "good picture." So, my standards of "good picture quality" is not the issue here. I know what it takes to make a good picture, I love taking them and have been in many myself, and I know a thing or two about cameras. Remember, it's a phone, so 2 MP is good at this point in time. Maybe the future will see better pictures on phones, but camera quality will always outshine a mobile device.
  9. DesignJams's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I just cleaned my lens with a damp Q-tip. Believe it or not, it made a world of difference!! I just took several pics and there was a dramatic increase in quality. Duh, could it really be that easy!! Also, my settings are to LARGE and automatic for exposure.
    .... And the iPhoners said the Blackbery was dead.... HA!!
  10. joethaking06's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Ok I cleaned the lense with a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and that made a great difference... Thanx guys!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  11. Bullfrog110MB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    125 Posts
    PIN
    Я Ĥ3ĻĻ
    #11  

    Default

    Zoom all the way out.
    Set the camera to large.
    Auto for exp.
    Auto flash.


    It helps drastically to hold the camera COMPLETELY still as it is sensitive to movement.
  12. bbcicamica's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,979 Global Posts
    PIN
    no txs
    #12  

    Wink

    Hi guys!

    I just wanna say when I got my flip I never expected a picture quality like my digital cam. As a matter of fact I never did with any of my previous phone. When I wanna take pics I simply take my camera. If I see something I wanna take a shot and I don't have my camera with me (obviously I don't carry it everywhere) than I just use my phone and accept the picture is what it is.
  13. TeritaM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,573 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog110MB View Post
    Well ****.

    If you are a richy ***** then go home and sell the BlackBerry.
    You must be used to a 10mp camera.

    ITS A PHONE FOR GOD'S SAKE!
    It has a 2mp camera and that is better than most.

    Check your lens.
    My 8220 is amazing!
    this made me laugh out loud. LMAO! I know its a phone. I personally hate camera phones and think they take crappy pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by DesignJams View Post
    Hi! I was hoping for a better quality picture but I suspect that since it's not a high quality camera, we're not going to get good pics. I find that if natural lighting is around and the flash is not used, the pic can be decent. I probably get 1 good one out of 10. So, if I want a decent picture, I have to use my digital camera. I don't think we should expect too much from a phone, (Although my daughter has an 8130 Verizon Pearl and it takes great pics!!)
    exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starku View Post
    Yes, I must be mistaken. That is clearly the only possible option here. Look TeritaM, it's a phone, it's not going to have the best pictures ever, it's a phone. When you complain about it,remember, it is a phone. It's not a camera and the data required to run a higher end camera would kill the OS. A 2 Mega Pixel camera is higher than most phones, which usually boast 1.5 MP, maybe slightly higher. Your more expensive phones have 2 to 2.5. Your average camera has at least 3 or 4 MP, and higher end cameras have 6,7, 8 MP. The real expensive ones run close to 10 MP. They cost a lot of money.

    That being said, it's a phone. Based off other phones, the picture quality is actually pretty good. I really encourage you to look up Mega Pixels and see what goes into them, and what it takes to make a "good picture." So, my standards of "good picture quality" is not the issue here. I know what it takes to make a good picture, I love taking them and have been in many myself, and I know a thing or two about cameras. Remember, it's a phone, so 2 MP is good at this point in time. Maybe the future will see better pictures on phones, but camera quality will always outshine a mobile device.
    I never complained about it. I said it takes crappy pictures, just like every other camera phone/blackberry I have ever used. you like it? good for you. I'll pass.
  14. Starku's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    PIN
    PAL
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post
    this thing just takes crappy pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post
    Clearly your opinion on what constitutes good picture quality is very different than mine.
    Maybe you weren't complaining per se, but still. I was commenting on your statement that it takes "crappy pictures," which implies you have a standard. Now, given that you never said crappy compared to anything else, we have to assume either you are comparing it to other phones, or to cameras.

    Then we have a long post of me showing how both are weird assumptions. Also, I never said they were good pictures in relation to other forms of media, like camera pictures, but the quality is definitely there for a mobile device. Also, you clearly were not offering any sort of help to the OP with "it just takes crappy pictures." As we can now see, there was an actual problem with his camera which we helped him fix.
  15. redline80's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    279 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I'd have to say the quality isn't too great either.A phone I had that took great pics was my RAZR2 V8.It is just a phone though so I guess it's better than nothing.What's suprising though is that this phone I believe had more megapixels than my RAZR2.
  16. ratchetjaw#AC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    613 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,190 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I dont see why everyone is disagreeing. I love my flip but the pics are crappy. I have a Bold also that has a 2m pix camera and the photos are better looking. Not sure why. They dont compare to a regular camera but they dont look like 2m pix to me. Flame on lol
  17. TeritaM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,573 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    I dont see why everyone is disagreeing. I love my flip but the pics are crappy. I have a Bold also that has a 2m pix camera and the photos are better looking. Not sure why. They dont compare to a regular camera but they dont look like 2m pix to me. Flame on lol
    you hit the nail on the head. I don't see the issue either. oh well.
  18. Starku's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    PIN
    PAL
    #18  

    Default

    It's that for a phone the pics are good, if you play with the settings as some of us have. I take rather good pictures with my phone compared to other phones I've seen. Also, you say they're crappy, but compared to what? Other have given actual comparisons. Those help to understand where you're coming from, rather than simply seeing "it suck 'cuz I say so." That is the major disagreement on my part. I don't care if you dislike this to high heaven, but an actual reason would be nice. Because you say so is not helpful and more rude than anything.
  19. ratchetjaw#AC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    613 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,190 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    If that was towards me I did give a comparison. To my Bold. Both phones one in each hand same object. And the flip comes out washed and fuzzy and the Bold does not. I really like my flip and consider it y mini bold but the camera is not on the same level. Sugar coat it anyway you want

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  20. joethaking06's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

    Default

    Lol I didn't mean to start a argument... I think the quality is superb after cleaning the lenses...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  21. lalifeguards's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    752 Posts
    #21  

    Default Look at the difference!

    I had my phone in my pocket constantly for some time and lint had built up. Here are the pictures in progression with the lint cleaned off.

    I'm posting three pictures all taken seconds apart from my BlackBerry 8220 Flip Phone using the standard camera with these these settings:
    Default flash setting: Automatic
    White balance: Automatic
    Picture Size: Large (1600x1200)
    Picture quality: Superfine
    Color effect: Normal
    (I resized them to 640x480 after uploading them and realizing that posting the originals took up too much room.)





    The only difference between these pictures is that I cleaned the lens cover with a soft cloth!
  22. Starku's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    PIN
    PAL
    #22  

    Default

    I would call the last one decent. Yes, the first one would be crappy, but put a bunch of lint of a 8 MP camera lens and see what you get. I still say the 8220 takes good pictures for a mobile device.
  23. lalifeguards's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    752 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    I went outside and did some quick test photos and here are my results. The pictures come out crystal clear and sharp when the lighting is good. Add a little too much light and the soft spots get washed out, but otherwise I got excellent results.







    Note this last picture, the chimney is washed out by the extra light.
  24. ratchetjaw#AC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    613 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,190 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lalifeguards View Post
    I went outside and did some quick test photos and here are my results. The pictures come out crystal clear and sharp when the lighting is good. Add a little too much light and the soft spots get washed out, but otherwise I got excellent results.







    Note this last picture, the chimney is washed out by the extra light.
    Wow those do look pretty good. Guess i need to clean my lens. I am impressed

Posting Permissions