Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Need a little help with unlocked 8230

Hi guys and gals:
    I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out just what I have here and can't seem to find any good answers. Here's the soup....

I purchased a new unlocked Blackberry Pearl Flip 8230 off of ebay a few months ago. I had intended to replace my Dinc 1 with it as I don't need access to the internet with my phones. I currently use Page Plus. This phone has me confused as it's not marked with any carrier brand as most I have seen. I "assumed" that since it was unlocked, it would work with any carrier, but maybe that's not the case. I had it ported in to PP but it failed to connect and make the activation.

How do I find out who the original carrier was for this phone, being that it doesn't have a carrier name on it? It's looking like I need a "real" Verizon branded one before I can use PP, and if I sell it, I would like to disclose what carrier the buyer could use with it.

I was looking at the Verizon branded ones when I purchased this one, but somehow this one slipped thru the search parameters and showed up in the list. I didn't notice it until I had purchased it, and had it in my hands. Maybe someone here knows how to get it to work on Verizon and any help would be greatly appreciated... if it's at all possible.

Thanks for any help!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    32,396 Global Posts

load the official verison os on it and see if that helps, maybe they have a diff radio in there os.
    Not here for a long time, but a good time would go over really big.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks Slff. I've ordered the Verizon version of it. Do you know of a way to check the radio to see if it's the same or compatible with Verizon's before loading the Verizon OS on it? I'm not very savy about the different radios the manufactors use so don't know what to expect. I'd hate to go thru the porcess and it still not work, then I don't know what I would do with it at all. I wouldn't want to sell it in such a configuration if it wouldn't work unless someone just wanted it for expermentation. As is, I may recover some of my cost on it if I sell. I like it a lot because it is one of the black models instead of the silver version.

Maybe I should just swap out the cases when the new one comes in?

I never realized you could load a different OS on to a phone of a different carrier. I checked up on it a bit but still much to learn. I've rooted several Dinc's before and added things to them, but that's about all.
    Last edited by connortn; 08-07-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Global Posts
    6,674 Global Posts

When you turned it on, did it show a carrier splash screen? That may tell you the carrier of origin.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30 , Passport (coming soon!)

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

It says "Centennial". I think I spelled that right. Mean anything?

Global Posts
    6,674 Global Posts

Centennial was (still is?) a Puerto Rican CDMA carrier. It could be their phone.

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Well... I'm a long way from Puerto Rico! Maybe someone has some info on what radio they use.
    CrackBerry User

Likely a Sprint or VZW phone according to the band's mentioned at GSM Arena.

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_p..._8230-3593.php

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    6,674 Global Posts

If it's an 8230, the phone is CDMA. Centennial is most likely the carrier it's branded to. So if I were advertising it, I would advertise it as 8230--Centennial Wireless.

Here is an example of a Centennial 8230 that sold in the past: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centennial-B...-/300638880221

CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Yes, it's an 8230, not 8220. MIght the radio freq. be listed somewhere in the phone? If so, how would I go about locating it? ...and what freq would Verizon be?

You guys are on top of it!

Just looked Centennial up. Looks like AT&T was in the process of buying them out in 2009. Hmmmm.... Pearl Flip came out in 2009.... branded Centennial... Not looking good.
    Last edited by connortn; 08-07-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Global Posts
    6,674 Global Posts

You don't really advertise CDMA phones by frequency, just by carrier names, because despite the bands, CDMA phones are meant to be used only with the carrier they're branded to. Flashing is something that circumvents this, but I think it's illegal under the DMCA.

CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Well, Raino, I wouldn't want to lose my liquor license :-) This is sounding like a lot of work, so maybe I'll just keep it for parts for the Verizon version I have on order. I have some other questions that are not pertaining to this thread so I'll start another one.... or two.

Thanks for all the info and help guys. I was afraid I was going to get bashed for buying something useless to me. If I had been observent enough, I would have noticed that it wasn't a Verizon brand even thou I had choosen to show only Verizon phones.

You guys take care!
    Last edited by connortn; 08-07-2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling