Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Flip 8220 Constant Rebooting

My wife's BlackBerry Flip 8220 is constantly rebooting. This is exactly like pulling the battery and happens a couple of times a day, usually when she has a weak signal. This happens whether the battery is fully charged or not. I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!
    CrackBerry Addict

The Flip reboot problem is not uncommon. If you search "flip reboot" on Crackberry, you will find quite a few threads related to the problem. The most obvious problem could be a corrupted file on your MicroSD card. Back it up, reformat it, then see what happens.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you will wind up like the rest of us who have rebooting flips. Here are my suggestions:

[From an older Crackberry post]
    I've also been dealing with the reboot issue on the Flip. Some of the steps that I have taken to keep the reboots at a minimum:
    1 - turn on the memory cleaning (options - security options - memory cleaning - enabled).
    2 - auto on/off enabled to keep the Flip off during the night. One morning I woke up to find the phone in the permanent vibrate mode... it had been vibrating for 4 straight hrs.
    3 - minimal apps. Only Google Maps and Docs to Go are installed.
    4 - Reload OS often. I have this down to an art now. I can reload the OS and restore email, contacts, etc in a matter of 30 min.

I think I have isolated the cause of most of my rebooting. During a calendar or address book sync, the phone would reboot. Doesn't seem like a problem, but several days (or hrs) later the phone would start randomly rebooting. So after a clean OS, things would return to normal. The bottom line is that any little thing can foul up the Flip. It may have been hit with static electricity during a sync since it is grounded to a computer. Who knows.

Personally, I bought another Flip as a backup. Here in Atlanta, BrandsMartUSA has been selling unlocked Flips for $179. I still love the phone and don't want a Curve or Bold. Many of us like the "normal" phone keypads (numbers up the middle) since we still use phones for dialing! And the keys are way bigger than the rest of the BBs which is a plus during one handed emails or messaging.
    CrackBerry Newbie

May not be the same issue, but I recently had a similar problem. Looks like it was my battery. I have a Tour, and it would not let me boot w/o a battery, but the battery must have been so drained that it would not make it thru a boot sequence. It would not let me plug in and charge while off, the second the power cord went in, it insisted on trying to boot. Sometimes I would get 9/10ths of the way to a reboot, other times it was just starting when it would re-boot. It just boot-cycled over and over. I purchased a new battery and it has been fine every since. Battery was at least a year old. It had been draining faster lately, but I did not think it was this very bad, it took me a day or two before I decided to try the battery. The battery did not seem hot, but did seem to have a slight bulge (maybe just my imagination)

One hint I had was that even when my battery monitor said I had 3/4 of a charge, for the last week or two the phone would spontaneoulsy reboot, and more and more often after the crash the battery was completely dead, and I needed to plug it in to re-charge and get through a full boot.
    CrackBerry Abuser

dsackett, Sounds like all of you guys have a very similar problem. I was reading this post a few weeks ago, and it also sounded similar to the OPs problem.

He actually hit on the idea that the phone might be searching for a data link (using the mini USB port) while trying to reboot from a dead battery.

Anyway here is the link to it

http://forums.crackberry.com/f85/inf...lution-590304/
    Last edited by Jaszman; 04-27-2011 at 07:42 PM.