Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Ew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 82xx....

Yes, I know I am going to get attacked for asking this but... how can anyone LIKE the BB Flip?! I have the BB Pearl btw. So just tell me the ups and downs of it and Ill be on my way...

Ash <3
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    I'm in PIN Limbo

What's not to like? It's a flip phone, so it's more PHONE like than any other BB. Call me weird, but I like to use my phone as a phone now and then, and I prefer flip phones to candybars when I'm not using my headset. The screen is a little larger than your Pearl (vertically). Keys are larger. OS is newer And you don't have to lock the keyboard to be sure your phone won't mysteriously dial someone when you're not looking.
    ...and if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2480293B

Lightbulb True...

Thats true, but I personally think its so ugly! Besides what you named what is so different about it compared to the Pearl???
    ~Ash<3
    CrackBerry Abuser

I like the flip well since it's my first blackberry phone.
    I like that is has another screen in the front
    I usually play around with my cousins iphone/storm at parties
    CrackBerry User

i agree with m00se, i like and am partial to the phone design and appearance. i wanted the cover to protect the phone keys and screen. My wife has the Pearl and swears by it,so it may be just a matter taste.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I fell in love with the Flip the second I saw it advertised in a Rogers flyer several months ago. They'd advertised it early, at least 2 months before it was actually made available to the public, lol. I've always been partial to the flip design, so the idea of a BB Flip was ingenious in my opinion. I've had mine now for almost a month, and aside from a few tiny technical misunderstandings, we've had a perfect relationship.
    I <3 my Flip!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,323 Global Posts

I don't own one personally but i have a love/hate feeling for it. It's a berry so i know its a great device but IMHO it's..........ugly. Coming from a 8100 to 8320 and now 8900 is don't think i can ever go back to suretype. Plus the 8900 looks compact and slick.
    CrackBerry User

PIN

The flip is my first BlackBerry so I can't give you any details between differences, but I love it so far. I moved from a boring flip phone on Verizon, and it was interesting learning SureType. I like the way the storm looks compared to some of the larger BBs, but I didn't want a touchscreen after using my friends. I loved being able to get a blackberry that is also a flip phone (and still trendy). I've had it since early November and haven't found anything to complain about yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by khaki; 01-07-2009 at 12:12 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Я Ĥ3ĻĻ

I love my FlipBerry.

It has two screens.
    It flips.
    It's more of a phone.
    Mainstreamed.

This 8220 is just the first model of the Flip. When RIM comes out with advancements and newer models, it WILL BE THE SHIZZ! It will get smaller, smarter, more usable, and easier to understand. It is just the maiden voyage.

I can see this phone getting better over the years. There are many bugs to be fixed. You can't just go from a regular BB to a FlipBerry and expect it to be a mini laptop.

It is more of a phone than a regular BB. People Maybe the FB is not for you, it is for people who want most of the BB in a PHONE. Not a Pocket PC.
    Last edited by Bullfrog110MB; 01-04-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Global Posts
    31,874 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

Beauty is in the eye of the....be-folder?

CrackBerry User

lol I had someone comment on how ugly my phone is ... and completely turned around when they were told it's a blackberry.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua18 View Post
    Yes, I know I am going to get attacked for asking this but... how can anyone LIKE the BB Flip?! I have the BB Pearl btw. So just tell me the ups and downs of it and Ill be on my way...

Ash <3
    I agree, the Flip is no beauty, especially the numeric keys are ugly, I would have designed them a bit less Pearl like.

On the other hand, the Flip seems to have the best network reception of all Blackberrys, I get a carrier signal even in locations I get no signal at all from my Bold or Storm(Storm however has improved a lot in this domain after the .83 fw update and the Bold is pretty good too).

I also don't like the build quality of the Flip, it feels a bit cheap, too much plastic but it makes the phone very light.
    A better camera would be great too but hey, this is supposed to be a business phone.

Currently, I like the 8900 Curve II most. It has a very good reception(signal strength), the display is absolutely great and the camera shoots decent pictures. I wish the battery cover wouldn't be made out of ordinary plastic, it gives the 8900 a cheap feel. I also don't like the bugs which come with the 8900, I can't use WiFi(.76 fw) because when the signal gets very weak, the phone looses the connection but keeps the default IP address of the WiFi router, leaving the 8900 without any data connection at all(it doesn't fall back to GPRS). Strangely enough, I can't update one of the 8900 I have to fw .101 because the profiles wouldn't work anymore.

I'm running the .200 fw on the flip and I'm very happy of it, everything seems to be working fine. I also love about the flip that there already is a Today theme available, something I still miss on the 8900(damn' Plazmic development).

I can highly recommend the Flip to those who are looking for a way to entry the Blackberry world without spending a fortune(Bold, Storm). I can also recommend the Flip to those who are living/working in areas with a weak carrier signal reception.

My dream Blackberry? A 8900 Curve II with 3G, at least a 5MP camera, better quality of the housing/keyboard and a decent battery life. Still dreaming on...
    CrackBerry User

After using both the Pearl 8120 and currently on the 8220, I can conclude that....
    The Pearl Flip is better functionality wise mainly because of the screen and the keyboard.... But in the looks and the build quality department 8120 is miles ahead... And the feel of the 8120 as in holding it in your hand is also much better...
    I mainly bought the Pearl Flip because it is a new model and I think the Pearl is quite old now... (Still looks awesome though )
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,260 Global Posts

I have one and used it for a couple days and just could get used to it. Had to go back to the 8320, but it is jusr collecting dust now.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    I'm in PIN Limbo

Quote Originally Posted by misss_ashhh View Post
    Thats true, but I personally think its so ugly! Besides what you named what is so different about it compared to the Pearl???
    As others have said, beauty is in the eye of the B-holder The top or "flip" is great, the bottom not so much. But it is very functional and you get used to it. My first impression is that RIM rushed the design to get it on the market and so didn't spend enough time on the bottom half. I'm a "form follows function" guy and the Flip's function more than makes up for the issues with its form.

As for what's different... that's the best part. It's a BlackBerry through and through... but with the added benefits of a flip phone
    Last edited by m00se; 01-05-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    ...and if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,573 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by strawbee View Post
    lol I had someone comment on how ugly my phone is ... and completely turned around when they were told it's a blackberry.
    I got something similar the other night. This guy was making fun of me for "still using a flip" and I was like umm its a BB. He got real quiet. Jokes considering that he was carrying the phone I had three phones ago (8800). What a pretentious snob.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ash <3
    Hey man,

I totally feel ya. Everybody likes their own thing, and the Pearl Flip isn't for you. Personally, I don't think it's the best, but Blackberry made it so it's easy to use for your standard ***** that wants a cool phone... Yet if you want to go crazy with it (making your own apps, hacking it, etc.) you can still have a good few weeks/months of fun. As far as being a phone, my only complaint is that the outter screen is way too soft and scratches too easily, which a screen protector can fix. I like the gui on it though, can customize it how you want and everything. It gets moderate service (about the same as most new gsm phones out these days).

CrackBerry Master

how can anyone LIKE the BB Flip?! I have the BB Pearl btw.
    How can anyone like the Pearl? ...the Bold? ...the Storm? It's all personal preference. I personally hate flat, blocky, slab phones. *puke* Do I go on the Bold or Storm forums and ask how people could love such ugly phones? No.

It's about time blackberry considered the 70% of cell phone owners who prefer flip phones. Personally I think it's about freaking time somebody came out with a flip smart phone.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    2480293B

Quote Originally Posted by Bajanbastard View Post
    I don't own one personally but i have a love/hate feeling for it. It's a berry so i know its a great device but IMHO it's..........ugly. Coming from a 8100 to 8320 and now 8900 is don't think i can ever go back to suretype. Plus the 8900 looks compact and slick.
    Someone who agrees with me! But with the 8100 you don't HAVE to use Suretype! I use multitap because Suretype is VERY annoying!
    ~Ash<3
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2480293B

Now you guys got me to want it! But no one answered my question so far... Besides the LOOKS of the FB, isn't just like the Pearl???
    ~Ash<3
    CrackBerry User

pretty much yeah.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

I just got the 8220 Flip a week ago after having said I'd never get a BB. After my last cell a Nokia 6133 {a flip} was stolen and I was still vary attached to. It was either a choice of {seeing is how the 6133 was discontinued} a higher end or bargain basement phone in the market of cells. There just doesn't seem to be a middle ground anymore so I went with a phone that had more features then I'd ever need but I'm really starting to like this phone, if not for the option of a BB that was a flip who knows what I would have ended up with.
    Last edited by Blade_27; 01-05-2009 at 10:48 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    PIN
    Drop

The Pearl Flip is the first BlackBerry I've ever had and I love it! One of the reasons why is because I don't think it's bulky like the traditional ones.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by misss_ashhh View Post
    Now you guys got me to want it! But no one answered my question so far... Besides the LOOKS of the FB, isn't just like the Pearl???
    Other than the form factor, yes - they're nearly identical.
    BlackBerry - Pearl Specifications

The Pearl's smallness is at once its greatest appeal and its greatest shortcoming. The closed Flip is even smaller than the Pearl, but because it opens, the Flip can accommodate a taller screen and much larger keys.

I think even including the looks of the Flip, it's just like the Pearl. When it's closed, it looks like the back of a Pearl. When it's open, it looks like the front of a Pearl -- albeit a Pearl viewed through a magnifier.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    PIN
    PAL

See, I find it odd how people tend to bash things they don't like. Okay, so you think the 8220 is ugly, yet I think it's wonderful. The one thing that kept me from upgrading to BB is that all they had were candy bar style phones, and I do not like them. They just don't feel like a phone to me, and I hate having to lock my phone every time it's not in use. My very first two phones where candy bar style and I hated them both. I would then upgrade to two different flip phone and I knew what I wanted. I had tried everything else (excluding touchscreens, I just feel weird about them, but I haven't been able to play with one yet). For me, being able to flip my phone open and close is part of the whole thing.

As far as the 8220 being a BlackBerry, it has all it needs to be this. I've tried the Pearls and the Bold, not to mention the Curve, and the 8220 is where it was at for me. It has been just as fast (and faster in some cases, like start-up) as the BBs I tested. While it feels to be made out of cheap plastic, it is actually made out of a hard plastic that is used in many flip style phones for cooling purposes. (I looked it up. The "cheap feel" comes from the plastic that's made to vent heat. The enclosing of a flip design can build more heat than other designs, so the plastic found in most BB won't cut it, it would overheat the device. Also, the plastic is just a wee bit thinner, adding to the "feel.") It has a higher end MP camera for mobile phone (if you exclude those "picture media" monstrosities that have way too much development of the camera and are basically cameras with a crappy phone attached). Yes, it lacks G3 and GPS, but so do most Pearls, and as GPS and data systems change, I'm sure we'll be seeing a much more decked out Flip in the next release or so. (Hopefully in time for my next upgrade.) Also, I have had signal in a location that no other device has ever let me. Sure, I would have fleeting batches of signal at the location in question, but my 8220 wow'ed me by keeping a semi-constant signal. Yes, it lost signal, but I'm talking about a place that all carriers lose signal. So signal retention passes for me. The OS, barring some slow parts, is rather smooth, and gets smoother with each update. I find myself loving this phone more and more as I use it. Yes, it is like a Pearl, only it flips, and it has out-preformed every Pearl I have seen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast