Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Eating batteries / Power issues

Hello guys,

I'm running the later firmware on the 8220 4.6.0.293 and i'm upgrading to 4.6.0.308 to confirm if the issue remains.

My problem is that in the past month or two, my phone started to eat power. For example, I will loose 4 bars and my phone will power off in 6 - 8 hours.

During this time, I will probably make ;
    - 0 phone calls
    - Check the time 7 times
    - Get 1 text and reply.

I wouldn't consider myself a high user

So the first thing I did was get a new battery, right ? I mean < 2 years wear might be the problem ?

New battery; I went to bed with 25% battery power left, put my phone on standby/ auto off/auto on. It didn't wake me up as the power was used all up, even though it was in auto off/standby.

Today I came to work with a full charge. I had about 85% power by the time I arrived. (< 45 min commute).

Unrelated ?? ; My bluetooth doeesn't actually power on anymore, a check mark appears and then disappears. After taking a flight, it 'magically' was able to turn itself on. Have cycling it, it returned back to a always off state, and wont turn on again.

Thoughts people ?

G.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    448 Global Posts

Had you installed any news apps just before this started happening? When I experience significant drain it's often a new app (which when identified get's quickly removed) opperating in the background.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,106 Global Posts

See the link in my signature for battery tips. In particular try running the phone all the way past red line until it powers itself off, then fully recharge the battery; this calibrates the meter to your new battery.

Run your phone for a day in Safe Mode to rule out 3rd party apps causing the problem. Do a battery pull or QuickPull, then hold down the End/hangup key for the first 30 seconds or so of startup.

I don't ever recall running .293. I was running .278 for a long time, then .305 momentarily (which gave me Outlook sync problems), then .308 for 6 months 'til I started having occasional reboots, last weekend I went back to .278.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

No new apps. To be certain, I tried also running in Safemode and found that battery life was only 'slightly' better. I could get about 6 - 8 hours of standby off a full charge.

I've tried all of the power saving tricks, but still huge power drains.

Most oddly, a phone that powers off at night with 25% battery left power won't wake up hours later. So the phone off consumes high amounts of power.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Power off

Gedsdead, Recently had a 8220 user losing all the charge on the battery at night, he also couldn't figure what was happening as he too was shutting down the phone at night.

What we finally figured out is he was shutting down by pushing the red "end call" button, or by selecting the red "turn power off" option from the menu.

While both of these options powers down some of the phone functions, they don't shut off all of them. The phone is actually in a low power mode just like your personal computer is in low power mode when you put it to sleep. Both continue to use power (even though your phone says it is "powering off")

The only way to completely power off the 8220 is to remove the battery. A lot of people do this at night after charging because, like you, they don't want the phone on at night anyway, it also has the added benefit of completely shutting down any programs that are running in the background until you use them again, and it clears the phone memory, giving you the maximum amount of phone memory available when you restart in the AM.

Hope the above helps with your power problems, if not, you might look into your battery being damaged. This can easily happen if the battery has been allowed to run down to very low charge, or completely discharged. What happens is the battery will run hotter than usual, and it will no longer completely recharge (once this has happened to the battery, it is beyond saving) It is actually better to top off a Li On battery with more than 1/2 power than to let it run low.

Let us know how thing work out for you.
    Last edited by Jaszman; 04-27-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

WIFI seems to be consuming my wife's battery big time. We turned it off and battery use went back to normal. One way to check heavy battery use is the temperature of the battery. If the back of the Flip case is unusually warm, the battery is discharging quickly.

I would really like to understand why the WIFI is consuming the battery. One day the phone was fine with normal battery life, then it was draining fast. Makes me wonder if the issue is with the WIFI router, not the phone. Maybe a reboot of the router began the issue/cycle. Who knows. FYI - I am using an SMC Barricade Broadband router.
    CrackBerry User

Default Your Phone May Be on Its Way Out

You can assure that the phone is turned entirely off when you turn it off by disabling auto on/auto off. Unfortunately, hugely increased battery drain and nonfunctioning Bluetooth were signs my previous 8220 was failing. If your phone is still under warranty, I recommend that you get it replaced while you can.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,106 Global Posts

T-Mobile US and a few other carriers have the advantage of UMA, using Wi-Fi as an alternative to the mobile network. When my phone is on UMA it's using Wi-Fi for both voice and data, so it's only actively using one radio. If you're on AT&T, your BB will use mobile network for voice and Wi-Fi for data, so it's actively using both radios.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Just an update on this issue.

The phone continues to have very odd power usages. 20% power already gone in 3 hours of no usage.

But oddly, sometimes the phone works better, and it will actually consume power more at a standard rate, like about 30 % for the day. This is what I call 'Working Good".

It was "Working Good" the other week, and I was able to go the day without having to charge the phone, maybe 24 hours before it died. I turned on the Wifi, and it started eating the battery life (as expected with wifi enabled). Of course, even after pulling the battery with WIFI disabled, it still continues to 'eat the battery'. So it fluctuates.

Lastly, the MicroSD slot just stopped working, is not being read anymore, which means no real mp3 or camera features anymore.

So clearly the phone has hardware issues. All of these problems started with a failed bluetooth.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hey. So I'm chasing a similar draining-while-off issue and may have some leads.

I bought my phone used less than a week ago from the nicest lady ever, she told me everything and anything concerning the phone and its history, did a master reset for me, even gave me a sweet low price because her fingernails had scratched up the keyboard.

When I asked to see it during the sell, it wouldn't turn on. Her exact words were "That's weird, it had battery last I checked. It's never done that before." She also mentioned that she had been gone on vacation for a week prior, leaving the phone at home.

My first theory is that the battery discharged too far and damaged itself. Hopefully I can disprove this one as my new battery just arrived today.

My second theory: This phone of mine also has the Bluetooth problem. I click the check box, and it thinks about it for a second but then doesn't enable. For the heck of it, I read the event log immediately thereafter and realized I had seen that cluster of Bluetooth-related information several times before in the log, even thought I never tried to enable the Bluetooth before then. It seems my phone is trying to enable its own Bluetooth. If it will log while "powered off," I'll keep it plugged in for the night and see if I can determine what's happening while it's off and hopefully track down the source of the drain.

I'll keep y'all posted.