CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can't get my BB flip 8820 on Bell Mobility Canada

I have my BB 8220 that was working on Movistar -Venezuela Network. I got this unlocked it when I move to Canada and try to put in a Bell Movility SIM card with only voice plan but is always in SOS service. There is any way I can get my phone work on Bell network? this supousse to work because is unlocked but is not. Please I appreaciate your coments.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

Bell's GSM network (the one that uses SIM cards) is a new HSPA+ network. Which is the new 3-3.5G speeds. Your 8820 isn't capable of using the bands it needs to connect to their network. So I'm sorry to inform you, but it's not going to work.

You either need a new phone, or an old Bell 8830 to run on their CDMA network.
    Thanked by:
    fasteralex27 (06-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks Ridesno
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

I have used my unlocked Blackberry with Rogers in Canada.
    CrackBerry Genius

8820 is only edge compatible...
    CrackBerry User

If your phone is showing SOS service, it means it's connecting to some network. For example, typically, when my T-Mobile 8220 shows SOS only, it's connecting to AT&T but can't find T-Mobile.

If you go to Mobile Network Options from the Manage Connections icon, you will be able to see what network it's connecting to. Also, check what your Network Selection Mode is. If it's set to Manual and the wrong network is selected, you'll never get more than an emergency connection. If you select Manual and let the phone scan for available connections, you will see if the Bell network is one of them. If it is, select it and see what happens. If it works, don't forget to put the network selection back to automatic, so that you will preserve the possibility of getting SOS when the Bell network isn't available.

P.S. According to Bell Canada, your phone doesn't need to have HSPA+ technology to access its network, only to "be HSPA (or UMTS) and 850 MHz and 1900 MHz compatible." (See Will my mobile phone or smartphone work on the Bell network?.) According to the product specs (for the 8220—I assume the reference to an 8820 in the subject line is a typo), your phone is GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz. You just won't be able to utilize the HSPA+ download speeds.
    Last edited by RedGreenBlue; 08-01-2011 at 09:23 AM.