I have just bought second hand the blackberry 8230 having thought I was buying a 8220.

It is a Verizon and though sold as an 8220 it is an 8230 and has no place to put a sim card.

Rendering it useless to me as I assumed that unlocked meant that I could take it back to UK and put my sim card in.

The seller seems to say this is all my fault.

however surely it should say that it has no where to put a sim card?

Have I missed something here or did Verizon have a phone made solely for their network, or can you change this into another network, even in the states.

I've never heard of a phone where you can put your sim into?

Someone be kind enough to take the time and explain this all to me.
    05-09-13 12:25 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA network, and for purely CDMA phones which this one is, they don't have to have a SIM slot. The 8230 is one such phone. It does not have a SIM slot because it's a purely CDMA (Verizon) phone. The 8220, which is the GSM version of this phone would have been better for you.

If the seller said anything about this phone accepting a SIM card, or working on GSM networks, then he/she misrepresented this product. If you assumed that it would work with a SIM card, that would be on you.
    05-09-13 12:40 PM
    The version you got is a CDMA version (most CDMA versions of a device with BBRY normally has either xx30, xx50 or xx70 where the second to last digit is an "odd" number, 3, 5 or 7 as the case may be)

The 8230 is the CDMA variant of the 8220 and is not a GSM device so it can only work with CDMA carriers using the frequency. I'm not sure about the carriers in the UK (if anyone still uses CDMA)

CDMA versions sometimes comes with a sim card and called "world phones" as they have both CDMA and GSM capabilities, e.g the Tour 9630 is a CDMA and GSM device so it can be used on Verizon or you can pop in a Sim card as you would normally.
    05-09-13 12:50 PM