For the last couple days I've been searching through several forums and have gotten nowhere. Some forums say there is, others there isn't.

With the 8130, is there a ROM upgrade that will unlock GPS and allow 3rd party programs to work?

Thanks in advance
    06-29-08 11:44 PM
    For the last couple days I've been searching through several forums and have gotten nowhere. Some forums say there is, others there isn't.

With the 8130, is there a ROM upgrade that will unlock GPS and allow 3rd party programs to work?

Thanks in advance
    We need more info to answer your question. Who is the carrier and are you on BIS or BES.
    06-29-08 11:48 PM
    Depends on your carrier. Verizon, no joy.
    06-29-08 11:49 PM
    Yeah, its Verizon. The phone Pearl is my dad's but he'll be passing it down to me. I don't know if I want it now, lol.
    06-29-08 11:50 PM
    hmmm... 8130... so a 50/50 chance! Either Sprint or VZW

I am guessing the answer will be no!! But, fill out your information so we know your device and carrier when you post questions!

*EDIT* Definite no, now that you specified. And why would you not want a FREE Berry, are you outta your mind?! If someone offered me a free Berry, I would take it no matter what. Even a 7100 or 8700 or something!
    06-29-08 11:51 PM
    What about for AT&T?
    06-29-08 11:51 PM
    Verizon cripples GPS and to answer Soonermeg, At&t does not cripple GPS.
    06-29-08 11:55 PM
    Yup, VZW! Sorry, I'm new and didn't know the rules of engagement for Crackberry. Thanks for the heads up!

So for the VZ 8130, the answer is no. I know this is a Blackberry site but is anyone familiar with XV6700 and 6800?

I have the enV now and am an addict to the VZ Navigator back up, I'm not looking forward to giving that up but would enjoy a PDA.

Just weighing my options, any suggestions?

Thanks all!
    06-29-08 11:56 PM
    What about for AT&T?
    This person is asking about a 8130, not a 8310. You're safe. ;-)

AT&T doesn't Verizonify their GPS though, you'll be fine either way.
    06-29-08 11:57 PM
    What about for AT&T?
    Exactly what Garz said... and Welcome to CrackBerry!!

Look at the links in my signature for some more information (How-Tos, FAQs, etc)!
    06-29-08 11:57 PM
    Thanks!

I'm just a simple college kid looking to get a cool phone that he can check Facebook and get directions on (and add 3rd party programs if possible, lol).

Thanks you guys!
    06-30-08 12:01 AM
    You can add 3rd party apps just fine with the 8130 as long as your using the BIS and not BES.
    06-30-08 12:03 AM
    *EDIT* Definite no, now that you specified. And why would you not want a FREE Berry, are you outta your mind?! If someone offered me a free Berry, I would take it no matter what. Even a 7100 or 8700 or something!

I mean... I wouldn't mind it, but if I can't get my Turn By Turn directions or the other stuff I like to do, it'd kinda be a drag, ya know?
    06-30-08 12:05 AM
    You can add 3rd party apps just fine with the 8130 as long as your using the BIS and not BES.
    Lol, I'm super new.. BIS and BES is way over my head! LOL! Sorry, you'd have a better time explaining it to a brick wall.

I just really need turn by turn directions like the VZ Navigator on my enV because I travel a little bit for my job.

Is that possible with the Pearl or am I outta luck? (Not trying to pay the 10$ a month to Verizon, they already take all my money lol)
    06-30-08 12:08 AM
    what about Tmobile??

i thought you could 3rd party apps on every bb?? LOL
    06-30-08 12:15 AM
    Lol, I'm super new.. BIS and BES is way over my head! LOL! Sorry, you'd have a better time explaining it to a brick wall.

I just really need turn by turn directions like the VZ Navigator on my enV because I travel a little bit for my job.

Is that possible with the Pearl or am I outta luck? (Not trying to pay the 10$ a month to Verizon, they already take all my money lol)
    If your not connecting your BB to a corporate email, then you are definately on BIS which is good because some IT dept block BES users of certain 3rd party apps.
    06-30-08 12:19 AM
    If your not connecting your BB to a corporate email, then you are definately on BIS which is good because some IT dept block BES users of certain 3rd party apps.
    Yup, it's BES if that's the case. Knowing that, can I add a 3rd party program and get TBT directions with it? Or am I stuck?
    06-30-08 12:36 AM

To answer your question.....yes. VZnaviagtor will work just fine on the pearl. There is no getting around the $10/month service charge tho.
    06-30-08 08:37 AM
    To answer your question.....yes. VZnaviagtor will work just fine on the pearl. There is no getting around the $10/month service charge tho.
    So I'm forced to pay 10 for the Navigator. VZW sucks...

Anybody know about the xv6700 or 6800? Is there a rom upgrade that'll allow me to use a free 3rd party program from TBT directions?
    06-30-08 08:42 AM
    To my knowledge:

If you're on Verizon, you're stuck paying $10/month for VZNav, because I have yet to see a phone on their network that they let you use GPS for anything else. To put it simple, they down the GPS ship so that only VZNav can use it.

If you want turn-by-turn directions and don't mind switching carriers (meaning you can't use your dad's Pearl), I believe that every other US carrier lets you use the GPS chip in the phone how you want. For example, if you buy a BB Curve 8310 on AT&T, there's a ton of free GPS programs that you can use. (I'm a fan of GoogleMaps, I hear a lot of good about Nav4All, but to use it requires GPS so I can't even really test it.) They'll require a data package to download maps, but if you're looking at a BB, I'd hope you're getting a data plan to begin with.

Edit: And of course there's the option of getting a Bluetooth GPS puck (~$50) to use with a phone on Verizon. Google it, or search the forums about them. I hear some programs don't like to use them (Google Maps, so I hear)...
    Last edited by pyroguysf; 06-30-08 at 09:13 AM.
    06-30-08 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD