I just called my AT&T store and inquired about getting an 8120 there.

The sales rep told me that AT&T hasn't released the 8120s to the stores -- that they're only available via the web site.

The stores do have the 8110s.... which don't have wi-fi built in....

Anyway the sales rep told me that the "wi-fi is redundant in the 8120 because you need to have the data plan in order to get onto it anyway."

Thoughts????
    10-05-08 02:16 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

That is the official AT&T position, but you would get a different answer if you ask T-Mobile, CinBell, Rogers, Orange UK or O2.

Wifi is used for Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). That means, you have a choice between using your carriers network or a Wifi network.

The main reason for using UMA is to solve low signal strength problems in the places you use it frequently, home or office.

When UMA is active, both your Voice and data are hosted on the Internet. That unloads it from your carrier network and they reward you with unlimited calling and data.

Unlimited national calling sure beat $0.30 a minute.
    10-05-08 02:30 PM
    Its far from redundant for many reasons.

1. I get no service in my house so WIFI fixes this issue.

2. WIFI is still faster than 3g and edge. If im in a coffee shop with free wifi im going to use that instead of edge or if my phone had 3g. There is someone on here who freaks out about wifi and says we should be using our mobile network and claims that were poor and shouldn't be using a Blackberry if we enjoy saving money by using UMA. Id rather have wifi in my phone than GPS because I already have a Garmin that gives me turn by turn directions for free and wifi is much faster than edge or even 3g.
    10-05-08 06:18 PM
    Another great use for the 8120 WiFi is the ability to download files larger than 5MB
    10-11-08 05:11 AM
    Listen don't believe the sales rep...I have a 8120 ATT branded and I DON'T have a data plan (in fact i have removed the Pay Per Use service) and WIFI works just great....don't believe the sales rep he's just trying to sell you the service....
    10-11-08 12:47 PM
    How did you get the wifi to work?

I have set up the wifi with my home network and have gone through all the options, but still when I click on the browser it says I'm using MediaNet, and the wifi logo is grey...
    10-12-08 09:48 AM
    A gray Wifi indicator means you do have a Wifi connection, you should also see your SSID beside the carrier on the home page. The Wifi indicator goes to Black and White if there is an active UMA connection. That is carrier dependent, yours does not support it.

The next step is configuring the Browser to use Hotspot only, or Hotspot preferred with a working UMA connection.

Browser / Options / Browser Configuration. Highlight the Browser choice and press Menu / Change Option.
    10-12-08 01:00 PM
    OK, I went through the steps like you said.

Now I'm looking at the main screen again. The wifi logo is grey, and my home's SSID is in big blue letters and the "Edge" is also showing in blue letters.

So does that mean that if I click on the browser and start surfing the web, that I will be using my home wifi signal -- and won't get charged?

I guess I'm confused because the Edge is in blue letters. What is Edge and do I get charged for it?
    10-12-08 06:10 PM
    If you are showing your SSID on the phone, you are connected to wifi and should be able to search the web with your browser.
    Edge is the data service that is used to receive data.

Let's say you have a data plan... the EDGE network is what is used
    Let's say you receive a MMS message... you get it through EDGE
    With the WiFi option, you should not get charged for searching the web(at least TMO you dont get charged for using WiFi)

People that are mentioning UMA, dont let that confuse you because, if I am not mistaking AT&T does not have that. Someone please correct me if I am wrong
    10-12-08 07:02 PM
    OK, thanks.

But something is going wrong somewhere because my wifi signal here at home is going strong. In fact I am sitting five feet away from the router right now.

But when I go on my Pearl and click on the browser, it shows "Media Net bookmarks" and "Blackberry bookmarks."

I go to the Blackberry bookmarks and click on the "cnn.com" web site I saved there.

Then it times out and says "unable to find the requested server."

I can see clearly that I am connected to my home wifi -- the name is showing on the front screen of my Pearl. I've even entered my router password into the blackberry when I was setting up the hotspot. So why am I not accessing the web?
    Last edited by cityish; 10-12-08 at 07:39 PM.
    10-12-08 07:31 PM
    Just playing around I took out my SIM card and could still use data over wi-fi. So he's pumping you full of BS.
    10-12-08 07:44 PM
    OK, now I'm getting confused. Now when I look at the pearl main screen, the wifi logo is no longer black and white, it has changed to blue. I have no idea why.

But when I go to "manage connections" I see:

Mobile network -- check mark inside a green circle
    Home Wifi -- the name of the wifi is blue --- and it also has a check mark. But next to it is a yellow circle with a straight line.

Yet when I go to "set up the wifi network," (which I already did), it says clearly I am connected to the home network.

So what is going on? Something is going wrong here but I have no idea how to fix it.

I am so confused!
    Last edited by cityish; 10-12-08 at 08:22 PM.
    10-12-08 08:05 PM
    10-12-08 08:17 PM
    Thank you!

I followed the instructions on troubleshooting/ and changed the channel on my router. Apparently there was too much interference from my neighbors' routers.

When I did a site survey I saw that in my apartment building I'm surrounded by dozens of neighbors most of whom set their home wi-fi's to channel 6 on their routers. I was also set to channel 6 on my router.

So I changed my router to channel 1 and now I'm in business.

I'm web surfing on my Pearl.... but the weird thing is that when I go to "manage connections" there is still a yellow circle (instead of green) next to "wi-fi." I wonder why? Weird... but as long as it's working I guess I'm OK now!

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by cityish; 10-12-08 at 09:43 PM.
    10-12-08 09:31 PM
    Also remember what the WiFi was made for: VOIP calling. At $10/month it's not a bad deal at all.

On a more gross note, I get almost no cell reception in my home bathroom, but the WiFi is golden, no pun intended. I know that at least one other person does this here...Huh? Huh?

Hey-oh!
    10-13-08 02:28 PM
    i cannot change my browser settings to Hotspot browser....it seems if there is only TZONES....am i doing something wrong? i would love to use wireless ...i have a blackberry pearl any help would be great!
    02-10-09 06:54 PM
    You probably don't have the service books for the wifi browser on your phone...you'll need to call T-Mobile for them to send you the service books
    02-10-09 10:40 PM
    So do you not have to pay for WiFi then? It is free to use - 100% free?!
    02-11-09 03:31 AM
    Yep it's 100% free aslong as you have a connection e.g. a hotspot or via home internet etc...
    02-13-09 04:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD