I am in the market for a new Blackberry... I know there are better models than both of these, but I need a small one (I hate big phones).

I was chatting with a rep the other day and he told me the new Pearl has the updated OS and the 8130 doesn't.

Is that the only difference (aside from the fact that one is a clamshell)? And which would I be better off getting in your opinion?

I can get the 8130 for free, or the Flip for $49.99.
    08-01-09 11:34 AM
    One flips wtf
    08-01-09 11:35 AM
    Flip is bigger, has bigger screen, bigger keys, bigger application memory, and bigger cpu.
    08-01-09 11:56 AM
    I honestly just recommend going to your local store and playing around with both. I picked up the Pearl Flip the other day for the first time and absolutely hated the way it felt in my hands. Everyone is different though, and I will stick with my 8130 for sure!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 06:40 PM
    Overall the flip is a better phone. But I still picked up the 8120 and I could have gotten both for the same price simply because I like the look better and it feels nice. Its all preference my friend. If your looking for a overall more decent phone that has slightly better inards then get the flip. If that doesn't matter then its all up to you at that point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 07:27 PM
    The Pearl 8130:

• feels sturdier and less "plastic-y" than the Flip 8230
    • Runs an older OS (4.5._)
    • Has smaller keys/buttons that are slippery; can be an issue when typing fast.
    • Good reception indoors.
    • You have to remember to lock the phone otherwise it can self-dial.

The Pearl Flip 8230:
    • Has a plastic-y feel. It seems sturdy enough after one month of abuse without a case on.
    • Runs a newer OS (4.6._) and looks completely different from the 4.5 icons.
    • No themes came with the phone.
    • Has bigger keys/buttons and easier to type on. Buttons are not slippery.
    • Reception is not as good indoors as the 8130.
    • Main screen is slightly bigger than the 8130. Outside screen tells you the time and email notices.
    • No self-dialing because you forgot to lock the phone.
    • Compared to the 8130, it takes a minute or two longer to reboot if you do a battery pull.
    • Harder to find a non-bulky case for it unless you Invisible Shield or similar product.

I personally prefer the 8130 because I did not like the plastic-y feel of the Flip. I also did not like the fact that indoor reception was not as good (wasn't awful, but I did notice a difference). But, I really did like the bigger keys on the Flip because it made typing so much easier.

Just food for thought.

As eclipsegsohsix suggested, you have to play with the phone and decide for yourself.
    08-01-09 08:51 PM
    Do NOT get the Flip. It's slow, laggy and highly unreliable. Many users have problems with this phone. My first one I exchanged after two days due to constant random reboots (a common complaint). The second one died today with no warning what so ever. TM cust care is sending my third one but I need one pronto so tomorrow I'll be switching to either a curve or the 8120. Will be trolling the forums to help me decide.

I've been a TM cust for only six months but am spending way too much shipping faulty phones and now this switch.

It does have a nicer keypad but overall total garbage. Shame.
    08-01-09 10:23 PM
    I am in the market for a new Blackberry... I know there are better models than both of these, but I need a small one (I hate big phones).

I was chatting with a rep the other day and he told me the new Pearl has the updated OS and the 8130 doesn't.

Is that the only difference (aside from the fact that one is a clamshell)? And which would I be better off getting in your opinion?

I can get the 8130 for free, or the Flip for $49.99.
    Unfortunately I tried to flip my 8130 and it broke in half.
    I have nothing worthwhile to add to this post. I apologize.
    08-02-09 06:53 PM
    Unfortunately I tried to flip my 8130 and it broke in half.
    I have nothing worthwhile to add to this post. I apologize.
    i opened up an old thread

LoL ! funny man
    03-07-10 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD