I'm considering getting the pearl, but I don't need the data functions right now as I have another device.

What would still work? Obviously I could do by message texts, picture messages, and phone calls.

What about something like the Blackberry Maps? Would they work, or no?

Thanks so much for the help!
    12-11-07 01:40 AM
    dont think map works without data plan.
    12-11-07 02:04 AM
    Like you sain you can use Pearl for SMS, calls...

For maps you need GPRS data plan and I think at least BIS...
    12-11-07 03:58 AM
    Then it would just be a normal fone and have those capabilities. As you said calls, sms etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-07 04:37 AM
    you would not have the ability to send MMS Messages or use maps as they require enhanced GPRS or EDGE through a data plan.

you would have text messaging (SMS), voice features (calls and voicemail)

you could not use any of the instant messaging features such as Blackberry messenger or Yahoo! messaging

Hope this helps

Chamisra
    12-11-07 06:18 AM
    Many thanks to all!

I was surprised to hear MMS won't work, so appreciate hearing that.

Great information. Thanks again.
    12-11-07 10:39 AM
    I am surprised you can get a plan without data for the pearl. When signing up with verizon they force a plan. Any insight as to how to get rid of the data plan?

Thanks!
    12-18-07 12:55 AM
    I am surprised you can get a plan without data for the pearl. When signing up with verizon they force a plan. Any insight as to how to get rid of the data plan?

Thanks!
    As far as I know, w/ BB's you HAVE to have a data plan...at least with Verizon.
    12-18-07 01:22 AM
    Yes, with Verizon you HAVE to have a data plan with BlackBerrys. It is in their contract. I have gone through all sorts of people to try and get around this. My friend is the manager of one of the largest stores in the state and he's very well connected and he couldn't even get one for his wife without the data plan.

However, the data plan is cheaper with the BB's than with the other smartphones.
    12-18-07 01:57 AM
    After the dust has settles on the pearl release, I'm going to call them and try to get rid of it. I think it's unique as the only phone that requires a plan. I'll find out for sure what the deal is...threatening to switch may work!

If having the data plan is part of my 2 year commitment, then I guess I'll know why people continue to complain about "the phone company".
    12-18-07 06:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD