if u dont have a lot of apps on ur phone and ur running at 5.9mb, then it sounds like a problem. Either that or maybe ur reading it wrong and its 59mb. dont know if it goes that high tho without nothing downloaded.

I have a ton of stuff including myspace, face book, eporates, viigo, etc and still hover around 26/27mb on a battery pull.
    Your comparison of having ~26MB is apples to oranges... you have a Curve 8330... you have 1.5 times more memory than Pearls do (96MB vs 64MB). We have less to start with, which means we have to micromanage it alot more. On top of the fact that there is still a memory leak problem, it hurts Pearl users alot more than other BB users.

What some people have to understand is that the Pearl is/was RIM's first consumer phone. It has the least amount of memory of all the current BB's, and is (nowadays) the oldest. It only has 64MB of memory... and has to do ALOT with that amount of memory. We hear about all the cool **** that the Bold/Storm/Javelin can do, and expect that all BB's can do it... which is (unfortunately) just isn't the case.

Now... in terms of freeing up some memory for us 81x0 users who have to make do with the little amount of memory we do have.
    • Upgrading OS - Keeping up on the OS releases is, in my opinion, the best way to combat memory problems. RIM hasn't completely fixed the memory leak problem, but they have been improving it over the last few releases i've seen. Upgrading the OS is NOT hard. All you have to do is download the new OS, execute the file, then run Desktop Manager. It does the rest for you. If you can install any other application onto your computer, you can install a new OS onto your BB.
    • Removing unneeded modules - You can read thru CB.com's How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone. While i wouldn't suggest this to anyone other than "intermediate" or "brave" users... Or at least someone with a firm grasp of computer knowledge... there are applications out there that do all the work for you! Check out CrackMem. It does most/all of the things listed in the CB.com article automatically.
    Hope that helps out some of you. This post ended up being ALOT longer than I originally intended, lol.
    12-17-08 11:23 PM
    I have upgraded to .77, the only apps I have are Google maps and Beyond 411. All of my pics are saved to the mempry cards. I have read the memory optimization thread and have deleted the uneccesary items. After a battery pull, I usually have 16mb and it quickly goes down to around 12mb. I can't figure out what else to do.
    12-26-08 03:41 AM
    Here's my 2� worth. Download CrackMem (easiest, or MaxMem works too) and os 4.5.0.102. Get rid of every bit of crap you don't use with CrackMem, but be careful with the themes. If you have one purchased it's going to need an original to function, usually dimensions zen. Also get a media card for storing your pics, tones, vids etc.
    .102 is by far the most stable os out there, and uses the least memory to start. I've got 24mb on a fresh restart, and rarely go below 16mb so I almost never need to reset. And believe me, I've got a ton of apps on my Pearl. Also get soft-reset so when you do see your memory is getting low due to heavy use you don't need to pull your battery.
    Blackberries are computers, just like the one I'm typing on now. If I use a lot of programs, do a lot of browsing and delete a lot of emails I eventually will either need to run a disk clean to free space or accept a much slower computer. Soft-reset or a battery pull is the same thing, it clears your caches although if you have enough free to start the Pearl will manage itself pretty much on it's own.
    12-26-08 04:39 AM
    One more thing. Don't use the back button but actually close apps when you leave, except for the few that are always running such as messages and browser (I close the browser anyway, I prefer it to open to my start page everytime). Imagine just minimizing every app you use on your computer in the course of a day, and the resources that would consume.
    Enjoy your Crackberry, it's a high quality product. I was a cellphone hater till I got my Pearl!
    12-26-08 05:22 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD