Okay, so I'm driving to work tonight.

My BB is on the car charger and is connected to my BT headset.

My husband called me. I spoke to him via the BT headset. All is well.

I hang up at the end of the conversation. My headset made its typical "conversation over" tone. I look down at the BB, there's a solid red LED. The screen is black. Won't turn on.

I can't do a battery pull while driving, so I hold down the red phone button. Finally, the BB turns back on. I get the spinning hourglass for about 2 minutes and then it reboots fine...even the BT is enabled. I reconnect the BT headset and make another call.

I haven't had any incidents since then....so what the heck happened? And how do I prevent it from happening again?

The only app I've added to my BB is Gmail, so I don't think I have a software conflict. I cannot upgrade the s/w because I have a Mac.

I have over 16 MB of memory, so it's not a memory issue.

So what happened and how do I prevent it from happening again?!?!
    02-20-08 01:05 AM
    Okay, so I'm driving to work tonight.

My BB is on the car charger and is connected to my BT headset.

I haven't had any incidents since then....so what the heck happened? And how do I prevent it from happening again?
    I had the exact same thing happen, phone on charger, using BT headset (2 week old 8310 Curve, AT&T/Cingular).

Finished a call then the screen went black. I did a battery pull though. My BB took about 2 mins. to reboot, now it's fine.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    02-20-08 01:40 AM
    In researching the forums here and BlackberryForums.com, it sounds like red lights and blank screens are common...

But what is it about the charging + ending a BT conversation that might have triggered this? I've been doing it for the past 3 days (my Pearl is only 2 weeks old too) and I've had no problems until tonight.
    02-20-08 01:52 AM
    V...
    I also charge and BT connect with my Garmin GPS for hands free use, and I have never had this happen. Maybe just a fluke. But I also have the latest OS installed. I know Mac, I feel your pain!

One thing you can try, and you might have done this already, and it's a know bug, but under Options>BlueTooth>Menu>Options> set the LED Connection Indicator to ON. For what ever reason it seems to help maintain the connection. Not that you are loosing it, but who knows.
    02-20-08 04:40 AM
    As Pete said, may have just been a fluke reboot. The BB OS is quite stable but still possible. Keep tabs on it, or see if you can recreate it with the same scenario.
    02-20-08 06:45 AM
    I don't have BT, and was not connected to the charger, but at about the 2 week mark of owning my BB I had a similar reboot after a call. Maybe something in the firmware needs to reset itself after a break-in period?
    02-20-08 07:32 AM
    Pete...what a "heck" of a fluke!

I keep my BT indicator light on as it helps me to see if the headset is still "talking" to the BB. But that wasn't the problem. It was upon the hang-up of the call where this occurred.

On another thread, it stated the solid red light is indicative of stand-by mode. Is this true? (Hard to believe everything I read!)...So if I had just hit the "mute/standby" button on the top of the phone, this would've resolved everything? Hard to believe....

PavementPilot...if the firmware needs a "break-in" period, that would seem odd to me, but as 3 people on this thread alone have all complained of the same reboot at the 2-week period, you may be onto something there....

Maybe we should start another thread for a poll! LOL
    02-20-08 10:47 AM
    On another thread, it stated the solid red light is indicative of stand-by mode. Is this true? (Hard to believe everything I read!)...So if I had just hit the "mute/standby" button on the top of the phone, this would've resolved everything? Hard to believe....
    No, standby does not trigger the red LED. Solid red LED / black screen occurs during the first ~5 seconds of a reboot. Hopefully it really was just a fluke. Have you by chance tried to re-create it?
    Last edited by GadgetGeek; 02-20-08 at 11:06 AM.
    02-20-08 10:56 AM
    I haven't been able to as this occurred when driving to work last night. I got off at 10pm and didn't have anyone to call on the way home!

I'll try again today as I'm zipping around, but since I've been able to use my BT headset w/o fail until yesterday, it's not something I can easily re-create.

If it does recreate, what should I be looking for?
    02-20-08 11:08 AM
    I'm not sure exactly... lol... I haven't heard of it and was just wondering if it happens with consistency under the same conditions, otherwise hopefully nothing to be concerned about. Mine did a random reboot couple weeks ago as I opened one of my videos, but that was the only instance in the 4 mnths I've had the device.
    02-20-08 11:49 AM
    I know this BB is more of a "computer" than a phone and reboots are bound to happen, but I'm surprised it would occur so quickly after purchasing it.

I hope it truly was just a fluke and nothing more...

GG, do you ever do anything to make sure the "computer" is refreshed? I mean, from time to time on a real computer, you have to restart/reboot it....what about the BB?
    02-20-08 12:48 PM
    Same thing to clear up memory. Pull the battery while the device is powered on. Or down load an app called Soft reset. Does the same without pulling the battery.
    geek and proud - BlackBerry Software

On edit... If anyone goes to the link I posted, let it be known that the Color Pearl app DOES NOT WORK on the 8130.
    I can see a flurry of posts now!
    Last edited by Member_No.1; 02-20-08 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Color Pearl
    02-20-08 12:52 PM
    GG, do you ever do anything to make sure the "computer" is refreshed? I mean, from time to time on a real computer, you have to restart/reboot it....what about the BB?
    Yes, IMO its a good practice to reboot the BB periodically. I usually do it every 5-7 days.
    02-20-08 12:55 PM
    GG...when you "reboot" the BB, do you do a battery pull as Pete suggested? Or is there another way to "reboot" the BB?

It seems to this newbie that a battery pull 1x/week can't be good for the phone, but what do I know?
    02-20-08 01:52 PM
    V...
    Download the app I gave you the link for. It's software that will do the same as a battery pull. There is an OTA link, being on a Mac as you are.
    02-20-08 01:56 PM
    Yep, use the SoftReset program as Pete suggested with his link... forces a reboot without an obnoxious battery pull.
    02-20-08 02:06 PM
    Okay help...I'm trying to send it OTA...

The BB shows my computer is paired up with the BB and I try to send the file and I get "Device does not have the necessary services."

Huh?
    02-20-08 03:09 PM
    V... OTA mean you go to the link with your BlackBerry Browser, clink on the link, and it will download automatically to your phone. Then just follow the on screen instructions.
    02-20-08 03:14 PM
    You don't need the PC at all... you can do it completely OTA through the BB. Just visit "http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/"via your BB browser and click on the "OTA Install" link for SoftReset

Edit: Oopsie, didn't see ya sneek in there Pete, you're quick one.
    Last edited by GadgetGeek; 02-20-08 at 03:18 PM.
    02-20-08 03:16 PM
    Duh...thanks! I "AM" such the newb, aren't I?! LOL
    02-20-08 03:18 PM
    No don't say that! This is how you learn! You just need a vacation!
    02-20-08 03:19 PM
    But I've only been a BB owner for 15 days! I need a vacation already? G-d that's sad! LOL
    02-20-08 03:21 PM
    nah... in fact your CB name will be inappropriate very soon.
    02-20-08 03:26 PM
    Oh well....I can say I was a newb with fond memories of what once was! LOL
    02-20-08 05:46 PM
    But I've only been a BB owner for 15 days! I need a vacation already? G-d that's sad! LOL
    I didn't mean you per-say, I was referring to your sig!
    02-20-08 06:13 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD