Just want a list of some things that those phones can do that Pearl cant. I have the 8130 Pearl but am really wanting a 8830 from Verizon or a Curve if it ever comes out....but was thinking why do I really want one, I know I like the size of a bigger phone, bigger screen, etc.....but what more is it able to do? is it faster? more memory? able to do more things
    03-08-08 11:45 PM
    Full qwerty. Otherwise you pretty much answered your own question already. Speed and memory should be the same.
    03-08-08 11:48 PM
    Wifi, and full keyboard. That's it. I've had both. They're more or less the same, same chipsets, same memory, browser, etc. The only real difference is going to be wifi. Although I have noticed that updates tend to be slower coming out for the pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-08 12:10 AM
    wifi is more of a model thing then anything right though? doesnt one of the pearls have wifi?
    03-09-08 03:56 AM
    When the Curve comes out for Verizon it should have O.S. 4.5 on it which will be a big upgrade. The VZW Pearl has a 2mp camera, 8830, none. VZW Pearl has video, 8830, none. The VZW curve should have the 2mp Camera and video.
    03-09-08 04:06 AM
    Now, since you have to have a BB data plan to run a curve on the vzw, what would wifi give you that the other BB's don't have?
    I'm kinda confused on this one, maybe the ability to patch into a home network?
    03-09-08 07:02 AM
    If you're just comparing the phones on CDMA, then the only difference is size, and the benefits of a smaller or larger form factor. The Curve, should it come to Verizon and Sprint, will be pretty much the same as the 8130 as far as functionality. It'll just offer a Qwerty keyboard, bigger screen, etc. The only differences between the 8830 and the 8130 (other than form factor and what you lose/gain along with it) is that it's a world phone so it can run on foreign GSM networks with a prepaid SIM card. And it's geared more toward business types and as such doesn't include a camera.

WiFi isn't really an option, particularly with Verizon, as they don't want their phones including it. I'd be very surprised if the CDMA Curve ended up having it.
    Last edited by mkfrmn; 03-09-08 at 08:23 AM.
    03-09-08 07:49 AM
    If you're just comparing the phones on CDMA, then the only difference is size, and the benefits of a smaller or larger form factor. The Curve, should it come to Verizon and Sprint, will be pretty much the same as the 8130 as far as functionality. It'll just offer a Qwerty keyboard, bigger screen, etc. The only differences between the 8830 and the 8130 (other than form factor and what you lose/gain along with it) is that it's a world phone so it can run on foreign GSM networks with a prepaid SIM card. And it's geared more toward business types and as such doesn't include a camera.

WiFi isn't really an option, particularly with Verizon, as they don't want their phones including it. I'd be very surprised if the CDMA Curve ended up having it.
    I agree. Verizon wouldn't want their customers having wifi or anything cool that would allow them to not have to pay for something.
    03-09-08 01:35 PM
    Wifi, and full keyboard. That's it. I've had both. They're more or less the same, same chipsets, same memory, browser, etc. The only real difference is going to be wifi. Although I have noticed that updates tend to be slower coming out for the pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yeah, i don't think the verizon one has wifi. personally i would stay w/ the pearl or wait for the curve. i don't like the 8830, but that's one man's opinion
    03-09-08 04:26 PM
    the advantage to wifi is free long distance...

the 8830 we from verizon does not have wifi...

-db
    03-09-08 05:03 PM
    As far as I can tell the Pearl 2 comes in 3 flavors with the following being the obvious differences

8110 - GPS, works in NA & EU
    8130 - CDMA, GPS
    8120 - wifi (although not all apps can use wifi, like the Opera Mini browser..)

8110/8130 comparison
    8120 spec
    03-10-08 03:34 AM
    the advantage to wifi is free long distance...

the 8830 we from verizon does not have wifi...

-db
    No phones from Verizon offer WiFi. Haven't you heard? WiFi is evil!
    03-10-08 05:28 AM
    For those of you who don't understand why wifi would be good on the BB's or why it is useful?

If you are using the web browser to watch youtube videos, or just jumping from page to page, it is literally a blink of an eye for a page load. So instead of waiting several seconds on a good evdo connection and up to around a minute on a slower one, you get very fast page loads.

And if you like to load full web pages, they load fast when you are on wifi.
    03-10-08 08:00 AM
    Man i had the 8130 and loved it but just would rather have a cool keyboard. I took it back and go the 8830, and even with the full keyboard, it feeels as if I have downgraded. I am not happy and upset that verizon will not allow me to switch back. apparently its only 1 exchange withing the 30 day period. So im just gonna buy the 8130 again and sell the 8830. I do not recommend going with the 8830, its huge and doesn't even do as much as the pearl can.
    03-10-08 10:26 AM
    The Samsung i830 for verizon has WiFi (I used to use it before I made the BlackBerry conversion) My father is using it now.
    Last edited by yaya1223; 03-10-08 at 10:37 AM. Reason: the quote didnt work correctly
    03-10-08 10:36 AM
    one thing the qwerty bb's can do that the pearl's cannot? Hving moved from an 8703 to an 8130 I'll tell you one thing I miss:

one touch access to programs.

You know, hitting "m" on the home screen and going right into messages..without having to scroll all around to get to the program first. The peal doesnt have this option, only the qwerty bb's do.

sure was convenient.
    03-10-08 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD