I just got the 8130 a couple of months ago. I started a new job this week where folks have Blackberrys. The only way they'd let me use my own from VZW is if my employer's IT department installs their Blackberry software image on my phone.

Do you know what this would entail? If I leave my job would I be able to reinstall the VZW image? Would this new image affect my ability to use VZW as my service provider?

I know the question's vague. I need to know the right things to follow up on with my IT department.

Thanks!
    06-09-08 08:40 PM
    Try this IF YOU'RE LEAVING YOUR JOB!!!!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...lackberry-569/
    06-09-08 08:43 PM
    The right questions to ask your new employers: "1. Are you going to make my personal blackberry part of your BES?" If no, you probably don't have any concerns. If yes, (the likely answer, based on what they told you) then, "2. What IT policy will you place on my phone?" Based on what they say, you may want to negotiate exceptions. IT policies can control every aspect of your phone, from whether or not you can use bluetooth to whether you can store items on the media card to whether or not you can use the camera, if your phone has one.

Having painted that draconian scenario, let me say that my employer's IT policy only forces password use. So they needn't be oppressive. But it's your phone, and if they're proposing to take control of it, there should be a negotiation up front. Or they should pay your phone bill. Or, like my employer, provide the phone.

If you're just starting employment, almost everything's negotiable. But don't try to defeat an IT policy using the procedure cutdacheck2003 posted unless you've already left the company, and couldn't get them to remove it before you left. Removing the IT policy will make you unable to access the enterprise accounts, will be detected the first time you try, and may result in disciplinary action, depending on your company.
    06-09-08 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD