Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Verizon BB plans

I've been looking at Blackberrys recently and have come across Verizon's BB plans. I am new to Blackberrys and was wondering what the difference in their plans was. Could someone please explain them to me?

The first plan is $29.99/month for "E-mail and Web for Blackberry." Does this mean unlimited e-mail and unlimited web? Any explanation would be great.

The second plan is $44.99/month for "Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage." What could qualify as data usage? Again, any explanation or compare/contract between the two would be perfect.

I'm a Blackberry rookie and have no idea what these plans consist of. Someone please enlighten me. Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

VZW has 3 Blackberry Data plans that I know off.

29.99 like the one you listed is for Unlimited Data and Unlimited BIS email, meaning yahoo, comcast, gmail etc.

44.99 is Unlimited Data and Email for Both BIS and BES email's. Most Corporations will use BES email and I think it requires more of a data load than just traditional BIS emails.

and a 24.99 plan which is 10mb of web access and email *Not sure if email is unlimited*

Most people use 10mb in 1 day so if plan on using the web heavily i suggest the 29.99 one, but if you plan on using it for BES you'll need the $45 plan.

Hope that helps, this was based off memory not actual facts from the vzw site.
    www.JJiGz.com For ALL your SEMA Coverage. Hot models and sexy car pictures right at your finger tips.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks - that helped clear things up a bit

another question i had was how does instant messaging on blackberries work? do IMs count as data or SMS messages?
    CrackBerry User

Instant Messenger is counted as data for every program that I've been able to find. Worth the extra 5 bucks for unlimited data for that feature IMO.

As far as E-Mail, I am pretty sure that is part of your data usage. I used to be on the 10MB plan before I upgraded to unlimited (did I mention it's only 5 bucks :-) ). I was on a BES and getting 25-100 emails a day and still only went through about 3mb per month. I was not surfing web at all, so this was ALL email data usage.
    Last edited by BucksCountyBob; 12-03-2007 at 06:54 AM.
    BucksCountyBob
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default re: Verizon BB plans...

You might want to check with Verizon, but I was told that the 29.99 plan was only available with the purchase of the BB Pearl 8130. I was looking at the 8830 and was told that I would have to pay the full 44.99/month.

This may or may not be correct information, but you might want to check just in case.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mjogg11 View Post
    You might want to check with Verizon, but I was told that the 29.99 plan was only available with the purchase of the BB Pearl 8130. I was looking at the 8830 and was told that I would have to pay the full 44.99/month.

This may or may not be correct information, but you might want to check just in case.
    ditto... VZW told me the same thing... whether that's actually the case or not is subject to speculation

BTW i think there's a 5GB monthly limit on the 29.99... gotta read the fine print...
    )| nick |(
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts

The original ToS for the "unlimited" data plans, regardless of what device they were for, stated that if one used more than 5GB/mo, VZW would assume the account was being used for purposes such as file sharing, slinxbox, etc; in such a case, VZW retained the right to terminate service.

The ToS have been revised: VZW no longer terminates if usage goes over 5GB/mo. They will, however, throttle your bandwidth.

The difference between the $30 and $45 plans is that the former is for BIS and the latter for BES.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Don't forget to ask VZW if you get a discount on data plans because through your employer. I get a 15% discount for my phone service, and when I added my Pearl, the rep told me I also get 20% off of data. I used to have a Moto Q and when I had a data plan, they didn't tell me about the discount. It's worth asking!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mjogg11 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nickadelman View Post
    ditto... VZW told me the same thing... whether that's actually the case or not is subject to speculation

BTW i think there's a 5GB monthly limit on the 29.99... gotta read the fine print...
    Just to clarify for you two, on my 8830 that I use for work, I switched from the BES to the BIS plan with no problems. Furthermore, the CSR that did the switch for me had never heard of the plan until I mentioned it to her, so she wanted me to talk to VZW BB tech support before getting off the phone. After talking with tech support, I was informed that it was unlimited internet and support for up to 10 BIS e-mail accounts. Also, the $29.99 is for ALL BB's, but they just introduced it alongside the release of the pearl as an incentive to make the switch to verizon or to upgrade to a bb.
    CrackBerry User

Where are you guys seeing a $30 and $45 plan for your blackberry's? When I upgraded to my 8130 the only two service plans that I was offered were $79 and $99, and the only difference between the two was the the minutes of usage. I went with the $79 and even had to pay an extra $10 to get 500 text messages so I didn't get banged for each text sent/received.

If you can get me some info on the less expensive plans it would be greatly appreciated since I wouldn't mind saving a good chunk of green every month.

Thank you in advance.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    PIN
    30558F54

Gngt, the $29.99 and $44.99 plans are applied when you add the data package. I am with VWZ and was switched over to the $29.99 BB data plan along with our Family Plan for my Pearl. If you have an individual line, you may come out better with one of their combo data plans. Do ask about the discount it's all money.

Regards,

-E
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

If you have a nationwide family share plan--either select or premium--you can add the data package for an additional $29.99. This if for personal email and web usage and I understood that it is unlimited email and web.

Just got my pearl yesterday---and having a hard time figuring it all out!! All I want is my contacts and my calendar to sync!!!!