Anyone else have this problem? The track ball on my pearl will roll thru the icons, but will not click and open any of them. It happened about a month ago and I took it into Verizon and after about an hour I walked out with a new phone. Well I've had this new pearl for about a month or so and same problem. It works part of the time and part of the time it doesn't. What a piece of crap. I really dont want to go back to Verizon and wait forever for a new phone but I have to, otherwise I can do nothing with my phone but call. I'll be happy when my contract is up and I can get a storm and say goodbye to the trackball.
    06-17-09 12:59 PM
    Hey I have that same problem at the moment with my 8130. Going to alltel on monday and seeing if I can get a new one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 09:25 PM
    Have you tried removing the trackball and seeing if there's something clogging up the mechanism. I have, on occasion, found bits of fluff from my pocket that has become lodged in my trackball and has made in less responsive to clicks.
    06-21-09 03:33 PM
    It took 3 years for my last pearl to stop clicking, they (verizon) took the ball out, cleaned it, still didnt work. So 1 month ago I got a new one on warranty and just last week had the same issue of it clicking sometimes, others not. The girl told me I probably shouldnt put it in my pocket anymore. So I am supposed to carry it around in my fanny pac??? So after an hour today at verizon I got another new one on warranty. Talk about a pain in the ****!
    06-22-09 02:47 PM
    Sounds like a bit of a nightmare experience. Though at least you were able to get a replacement. The drawback of these new phones is that you have to carry them in a plastic bubble. I miss the days of my Nokia 3210 where you could throw it in a pond and have it still work. Ah, the wonders of modern technology.
    06-22-09 04:37 PM
    Sounds like you all are suffering from a dirty trackball. I've experience this myself from time to time especially because I'm a mechanic and constantly have something on my fingers even after I wash them. Follow this guide here http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...rackball-3243/ and go from there. Also you can use the enter button at times for the same function as clicking on the trackball. Also try to read this guide http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/tip-...ortcuts-13131/ and try to incorporate these into your daily use that way you keep the debris down to a minimum and yes a pocket can be a bad place for a BB but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hopes this helps you as much as it did me.
    06-22-09 07:09 PM
    Funny how the carriers will simply give you a new phone and not simply a replacment trackball...been having the same issue but since I don't have a warranty I'm going to get another trackball...and yes cleaning it only worked for a short time.

06-24-09 03:18 PM
    It wasn't the case of a dirty trackball. When you remove the trackball it is the sensor under the ball that makes the physical clicking feeling that appears to be damaged. I'm thinking it is a faulty part. My first phone was obviously dirty after almost 1.5 years of use, my 2nd phone was used less than a month and took much less wear and tear than the first, and when the ball was removed and the sensor cleaned it helped none. Everything was cleaned to no avail. I found out how to use the enter button but whats the point of the trackball if I cannot use it? I'll just keep getting new ones til my contract is up in a couple months then probably go with a storm or something without a ball.
    06-24-09 05:05 PM
    I don't know if anyone noticed but it seems to be a common problem with the 8120...it's not so common with the 8100, 8110 or 8130. Or at least my observation.

06-24-09 06:22 PM
    well my phone completely freaked out on me and i believe its something to do with a trackball, after cleaning it and chucking the phone it fixed the problem (lol yes i know, im a abuser), i believe its the sensor, right now the phone is working normally with the trackball click being responsive only with significant pressure on it. kind of annoying my fingers... I posted about my problem in a diff thread, "blackberry pearl acting insane"
    06-24-09 09:53 PM
    http://www.audsound.net/_share/bbtb_select_fix.pdf
    Yet this...

07-03-09 09:23 AM
    Oops try not yet! Bloody SureType hehe

07-03-09 09:25 AM
    Thx JenInVen, that fixed the click!
    07-17-10 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD