Hi Everyone-

New to the forum, but lots of great info for someone who has just switched over after years with a Treo (600, 650, 700p - all with Verizon).

My question is I have a Tom Tom GPS receiver that I purchased bundled with the Tom Tom software for my Treo and I am curious as to whether or not there is a way to link up the GPS reviever to use with my new 8130? I know the software will not be compatible, but is there anyway to get this to work with either Google Maps, the pre loaded maps app, or a 3rd party app that I don't know about?

It would be a shame to not be able to use that receiver anymore. Any help is much appreciated. Love being with the Blackberry again, glad to see how far they have come while Palm rested on their laurels!

Andrew
    01-17-08 11:55 AM
    Hey Andrew - I also just came from a verizon 700p. I noticed NO ONE replied to you comment, which is exactly what I'm wondering... can we use our tom-tom program that we paid for?
    06-15-08 10:45 PM
    apparently nobody knows anything about this stuff. i am a t-mobile customer with a curve 8320. i recently bought a really great TomTom GPS 730 except i ended up taking it back because the wireless function was not compatible with my 8320. i posted elsewhere and got nothing
    08-23-08 05:32 PM
    Does the TomTom have bluetooth capability? Specifically SPP Slave Service? If it does, you can probably use it as a GPS receiver, the same way I use my Freedom Keychain 2000 puck. I also saw your question about the wireless function, but I didn't understand it. Sorry you haven't gotten any better help.
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-23-08 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added SPP info
    08-23-08 06:17 PM
    Hi Jeff:

It did have BT (I ended up returning the GPS much to my dismay - because it was a terrific unit for the price - with almost every feature i wanted - i absorbed a 15% restocking fee to boot).

I was able to get it to work with my phone to make calls but not to use the other wireless traffic & data options (TomTom has a free traffic option).

But I'm not sure about "slave" capability or how to configure something like that. And of course the TomTom "tech" guy never suggested any work around.

I am just surprised in this "hi tech" world that there arent more people using their phone data plans with their GPS's in this way - maybe thats why the companies havent bothered writing the correct drivers for these units yet.

Thanks, Lindsay
    08-25-08 04:59 PM
    The SPP slave capability is the protocol BlackBerries use to talk to GPS pucks via Bluetooth. That would possibly have allowed you to use the GPS in the TomTom to provide location data to the BlackBerry. That doesn't sound like what you were wanting to do, though.

I've never used one of the stand-alone units, so I don't know if it's possible to give it internet access via the BlackBerry. BlackBerries can be used as modem's for PC's, so it might be possible. I just don't know. And apparently nobody else does either, or the right person just hasn't seen your posts. At least my reply will give you another bump.
    08-25-08 06:52 PM
    Im not sure it will work, but have have enabled the bluetooth on the Storm and it does recognize the device as a Palm GPS... So maybe there is hope. I'll keep tinkering with it and repost if I make any headway.
    06-25-09 11:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD